Ride Plate
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 37

Thread:
Ride Plate

  1. #1
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Question Ride Plate?

    What is the advantage of a ride plate. I have two pieces of a ride plate setup that came with my boat, but I am debating whether or not to get the third piece and install it while I have the intake out of the boat. I have a 1979 19' Hawaiian with a Berkeley 12-JC-AB pump with a place diverter. Would a ride plate help me with anything. The boat hasn't been in the water for over 10 years.
    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 03-22-2008 at 02:10 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    BTC cardcarrying member SuperSoaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    With the intake out I would add a shoe and ride plate. Better to do it now than later

  4. #3
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    What is the advantage of a ride plate. I have two pieces of a ride plate setup that came with my boat, but I am debating whether or not to get the third piece and install it while I have the intake out of the boat. I have a 1979 19' Hawaiian with a Berkeley 12-JC-AB pump with a place diverter. Would a ride plate help me with anything. The boat hasn't been in the water for over 10 years.
    Put up a picture of the bottom of your intake and the hardware pieces you have.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    I have pics of the entire build on my profile page. Everything but the bottom of the intake, I will get some of the intake shortly.
    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 03-22-2008 at 09:11 PM.

  7. #5
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Since you have some parts for a rideplate installation, I have to wonder if your intake hasn't already been machined.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Need pics of the pump intake from the bottom. A shoe/ride plate is a must for the performance minded boater. Provides potential for increased speed but more importantly it allows you to tune the ride of the boat for best speed as well as load the pump more effectively than without.

  9. #7
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtcha? View Post
    Since you have some parts for a rideplate installation, I have to wonder if your intake hasn't already been machined.
    No, the intake hasn't been machined yet. The shoe is the part that I am missing, unfortunately. That is the only piece that I can't make myself. I would have to do the machine work to the intake. I bought the boat off of a friend, and it hasn't been in the water for over 10 years, and the last person that tried to put it together spent a whole lot of money on performance parts, but was arrested for drugs before the boat was ever put together. The guy I bought it off of probably has the missing pieces somewhere, but he can't find them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendellajet View Post
    Need pics of the pump intake from the bottom. A shoe/ride plate is a must for the performance minded boater. Provides potential for increased speed but more importantly it allows you to tune the ride of the boat for best speed as well as load the pump more effectively than without.
    The boat only has a mild 427 truck block in it. We have the rev limiter set at 4300, so it is by no means a fast boat, right now. It is a fast boat, but a slow motor. I got the motor cheap and the boat even cheaper.
    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 10-17-2008 at 05:46 PM.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Robert Jonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canyon Country, CA
    Posts
    601

    Default

    while the intake is out of the boat send it to a pump builder and have them machine the intake and provide a shoe. it would be best to have them machine the intake for you because they will match the shoe up to fit perfect

  11. #9
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet4fun View Post
    while the intake is out of the boat send it to a pump builder and have them machine the intake and provide a shoe. it would be best to have them machine the intake for you because they will match the shoe up to fit perfect
    I am a manual machinist. I'm not paying somebody else to do the work for me. I'm cheap as hell. I've only got like 5 grand in the entire boat, and I made back like 2 grand by selling all the extra parts that came with the boat. It came with 2 1/2 pumps and 2 extra nozzle set-ups and some performance pump parts. But out of curiosity how much would a pump builder charge to do that? Because I don't have a lot of time to do all of that right now. But again I'm in Kentucky, not a whole lot of pump builders around here, that I know of.
    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 03-22-2008 at 09:13 PM.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Ken F's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    557

    Default

    HawaiianJet,

    Be prepaired for Rondane to slam this post again! LOL

    Duane Oblancer @ Hi-tech Performance has shoe blanks which he could sell you. Machining the intake is not much of a job. I'd give him a call and talk to him about it. 417-858-8616 I'm sure he would be happy to explain how to machine your intake to accept the shoe, however there are some finer points to it which in my opinion would be better left to someone who does it everyday. The shoes are a raw aluminum casting, so they will have to be machined also. HTP is in Shell Knob Missouri, so not far from you. Turn around shoud be quick if you decide you don't have time to do it.

    Possibly there is another shop closer to you, but I'm not aware of them.

    Also, on setting your intake, I would advise taking some measurements, and checking the angle of the intake in relation to the keel rather than depending on the idea that it was set right when the boat was built. More often than not it was off when the boat was built. I'll bet if you get to measuring, you will find that the stringers are off side to side, and the intake probably is too.
    Most importantly though is the angle that the intake is set at in relation to the keel. I definatly would make sure it's right before you set it in epoxy!

    Hope this helps,

    Ken

  13. #11
    Senior Member fleetimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colfax, Ca
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Call Duane!!!!


    Shut up Rondane

  14. #12
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken F View Post
    HawaiianJet,

    Be prepaired for Rondane to slam this post again! LOL

    Duane Oblancer @ Hi-tech Performance has shoe blanks which he could sell you. Machining the intake is not much of a job. I'd give him a call and talk to him about it. 417-858-8616 I'm sure he would be happy to explain how to machine your intake to accept the shoe, however there are some finer points to it which in my opinion would be better left to someone who does it everyday. The shoes are a raw aluminum casting, so they will have to be machined also. HTP is in Shell Knob Missouri, so not far from you. Turn around shoud be quick if you decide you don't have time to do it.

    Possibly there is another shop closer to you, but I'm not aware of them.

    Also, on setting your intake, I would advise taking some measurements, and checking the angle of the intake in relation to the keel rather than depending on the idea that it was set right when the boat was built. More often than not it was off when the boat was built. I'll bet if you get to measuring, you will find that the stringers are off side to side, and the intake probably is too.
    Most importantly though is the angle that the intake is set at in relation to the keel. I definatly would make sure it's right before you set it in epoxy!

    Hope this helps,

    Ken
    Duane is the guy at HTP, which is Hi-Tech Performance, right? And who the hell is Rondane? Why is he so pissed off? Still not sure if I want to take the time to do the ride plate thing. You guys haven't convinced me that I need it or told me what the advantages of the the ride plate are. I don't have the money right now to do something that is not going to help me go faster or ride better. I'm a poor college student. Need stats on the ride plate set-ups please.

    That means I have to get my boat level front to back and side to side, right. Then measure all the angles in relation to each other, right. Shouldn't be too difficult. It's not like it's rocket science. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely check my measurements.

    Dammit, I'm talking about setting my intake on my ride plate thread. They're all starting to run together into one big thread.

    Thanks everyone. Keep it going. Keep bringing in the suggestions.
    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 03-22-2008 at 09:13 PM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member fleetimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colfax, Ca
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Call Duane

  16. #14
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fleetimus View Post
    Call Duane
    That's what everyone keeps telling me. I will, I will. I wish to someday have a reputation like that. Ask 3 different questions and get referred to the same person for answers, by multiple people on the opposite side of the country. That's really saying something dude.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95