1978 Tarva restored *pics*
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
1978 Tarva restored *pics*

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default 1978 Tarva restored *pics*

    This boat has been in my family for 32 years, and it was too sentimental to sell..so i restored it! I know its not the hottest boat on the lake but she still gets plenty of looks and compliments. Tell me what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_7b629bd5c098768691d94b39beae1c41.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	70563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_7bbf9978886c5fc59fd6f8534fdcfc62.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	70564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_28d106eb1cefc9474e51ae70632a1c30.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	70565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_28e1c5d5f0186ce14c92a5945e5711c8.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	70566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_43a1557bd8fd8d565bfe7725ade5852b.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	70567  


  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_52fca5f7b807e98cf2a6b1c151234ddc.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	70568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_54b522a77756c5b2fe95e8c6fe26dba6.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	70569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_58ae4b34a200c972a665e3718a14ab0e.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	70570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_68d0e50511b3824f505b778af9058bed.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	70571   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_86e69ad28a129c784857513e72b6af0e.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	70572  


  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 460junkie View Post
    This boat has been in my family for 32 years, and it was too sentimental to sell..so i restored it! I know its not the hottest boat on the lake but she still gets plenty of looks and compliments. Tell me what you guys think.
    Nicely done! How about giving us a run down on the tasks it took to compelete your project like glass work, paint, upholstry, engine & jet mods, etc?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member BrotherWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Salem,Or
    Posts
    987

    Default

    wow that turned out great

  7. #5
    History Repeating Storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Very nice! Our Caribbean has been in the family since new as well, good to see others hanging onto these great old boats
    '84 Laser LTV - Restoration in progress
    '77 Caribbean

  8. #6
    WFL Crew TINTDESIGNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    Nice job! Theres always some pride in saving an old boat! I like it!

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piezzi View Post
    Nicely done! How about giving us a run down on the tasks it took to compelete your project like glass work, paint, upholstry, engine & jet mods, etc?
    Thanks for the compliments guys..
    I started this project with a budget of approx $10k. I proceeded to write down the most important aspects of what needed to be restored. The BBF 460 desperately needed to be restored, that was #1 on the list. I wish i could have spent $10k on the motor and jet alone, but i had to keep reminding myself its a family day cruiser.

    Jet hadnt been rebuilt or touched in over 30 years, this was necessary since the motor was going to push close to 500hp. I rebuilt the Berkeley 12-jc w/A2 impeller. Place diverter was another new addition. Factory grate, no ride plate, or droop. I need advice for a new set up because my max rpm is 4500 and want something closer to 5500.

    I went to several boat shows to get ideas on the different interior patterns and styles. I decided to stay with the old style seating, but with an updated look. Since the original gel coat is still shining bright, i wanted to keep the interior classy and simple. I added Kind Starboard to the rear jump seats, engine cover and rear of the floor boards. The biggest pain in my ass was removing the old floors, cross stringers, and old resin (which sent me to hospital after sending my chisel straight into my hand).. and sanding everything so the new fiberglass would stick. I cut the new floorboard with a ski locker under the bow of the boat instead of the center. Glassing the supports and floorboard got a little messy but saved me a lot of money.

    Overall im pretty satisfied with the project, quite a learning experience. It took approx 2 years to complete. I can honestly say, i put my blood, sweat and tears into this boat instead of handing off to some shop.

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I had one season with my boat before i blew the rebuilt motor. Im currently on the second rebuild. Here are pics of the damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	70583   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	valve.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	70584  

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 460junkie View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys..
    I started this project with a budget of approx $10k. I proceeded to write down the most important aspects of what needed to be restored. The BBF 460 desperately needed to be restored, that was #1 on the list. I wish i could have spent $10k on the motor and jet alone, but i had to keep reminding myself its a family day cruiser.

    Jet hadnt been rebuilt or touched in over 30 years, this was necessary since the motor was going to push close to 500hp. I rebuilt the Berkeley 12-jc w/A2 impeller. Place diverter was another new addition. Factory grate, no ride plate, or droop. I need advice for a new set up because my max rpm is 4500 and want something closer to 5500.

    I went to several boat shows to get ideas on the different interior patterns and styles. I decided to stay with the old style seating, but with an updated look. Since the original gel coat is still shining bright, i wanted to keep the interior classy and simple. I added Kind Starboard to the rear jump seats, engine cover and rear of the floor boards. The biggest pain in my ass was removing the old floors, cross stringers, and old resin (which sent me to hospital after sending my chisel straight into my hand).. and sanding everything so the new fiberglass would stick. I cut the new floorboard with a ski locker under the bow of the boat instead of the center. Glassing the supports and floorboard got a little messy but saved me a lot of money.

    Overall im pretty satisfied with the project, quite a learning experience. It took approx 2 years to complete. I can honestly say, i put my blood, sweat and tears into this boat instead of handing off to some shop.
    2 years isn't bad considering all you the work you did.....and now you're ready for another 30 years of use!

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Nice

    I too own a 1978 Tarva, purchased from the original owner. It still has the original 460 and Berkeley jet. I just got it out of the shop for the first time since I purchased it back in 99! It needed a new throttle and cables. I have always changed the oil, lubed and winterized every year, that’s it. Once the kids grew up I had the interior work done two years ago and now it’s just the wife and I. We Still Love It. Yours looks great. How did it handle the extra horse power?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00016.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	76988  

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95