Disconnecting the pump
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
Disconnecting the pump

  1. #1
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default Disconnecting the pump

    I want to run my motor but Im too scared to run it with the hose. Can anyone tell me the best way to disconnect the pump? I have a hardin Marine Bellhousing on it.

    Thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member UNASHAMED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    1,073

    Default

    Unbolt it...
    "Don't make me get my penguin"

  4. #3
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Do I have to remove the bellhousing or is there an easier way?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    I want to run my motor but Im too scared to run it with the hose. Can anyone tell me the best way to disconnect the pump? I have a hardin Marine Bellhousing on it.

    Thanks
    if u have the space...u can unbolt the drive shaft from the PTO/flywheel or take the u-joints apart...no need to remove the bellhousing ...just my .02 cents

    FastRat

  7. #5
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Do I have to remove the bellhousing or is there an easier way?
    if you have a 3 point mount and the drive line is covered, it's a real pain to disconnect. Does your bell housing have an inspection window in it? If so, it's possible to go through there to unbolt it but it's still real tough.

    How long are you wanting to run it?

  8. #6
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    if you have a 3 point mount and the drive line is covered, it's a real pain to disconnect. Does your bell housing have an inspection window in it? If so, it's possible to go through there to unbolt it but it's still real tough.

    How long are you wanting to run it?
    It does have the three point mount and the inspection window....I cant imagine that window will be big enough to fit any kind of tools in there. I wanted to run it long enough to adjust my idle and make sure all my gauges are working properly.

  9. #7
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    It does have the three point mount and the inspection window....I cant imagine that window will be big enough to fit any kind of tools in there. I wanted to run it long enough to adjust my idle and make sure all my gauges are working properly.
    I have the SAME set up and it's virtually impossible to "un hook the driveline.
    With only .018 clearance between my imp and wearing I've been running my engine on the hose for years and years and years...NEVER any problems with doing so.
    Keep in mind, I don't let it run for a long time, just enough to fire it before I tow to the ramp or to set the timing.
    ALSO...I know my tail bearing is in good condition so...the impeller is not jumping all over the place or hitting the wear ring.
    I make sure, no water is going to my OT headers and water is exiting the block dumps as well as a healthy water flow to the impeller.
    If you're concerned about the shaft packing's, simply back off the tension, spray some WD40 at the shaft >don't forget to re-snug the bolts prior to hitting the water!
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  10. #8
    Senior Member back2k5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Arcadia CA
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Bummer...guess Im going to have to rock the hose

  11. #9
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    If it's only going to be for about 30 seconds or so, you should be ok to fire it off. Just be sure to hose it out real well before you do and do not rev it up to 5000.
    These are pictures of the crap that came out of a freshly rebuilt pump with 0 run time on it after a 3 hour tow.




    Like Hammer, I fire mine off on the trailer to set timing, adjust idle and just before a trip to the lake without any issues.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Delemorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC.
    Posts
    1,553

    Default

    I got the same three point set up. no way to pull it easily... It would be faster to pull the motor pull the drive line then reassemble with no drive line than try to pull the drive line with out removing the motor..


    So why not just take it to the ramp?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    the ensueing fire would likely be extinguished by the sinking however

  13. #11
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    If it's only going to be for about 30 seconds or so, you should be ok to fire it off. Just be sure to hose it out real well before you do and do not rev it up to 5000...
    Like Hammer, I fire mine off on the trailer to set timing, adjust idle and just before a trip to the lake without any issues.
    Exactly Cas, don't fire it on the hose then go take a shit, shower and shave.
    And I'll only rev mine to 3500 just to make sure my timing is all in at 3000
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  14. #12
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    Exactly Cas, don't fire it on the hose then go take a shit, shower and shave.
    And I'll only rev mine to 3500 just to make sure my timing is all in at 3000
    actually, I don't even have to worry about running it on the trailer to set the timing anymore. Jim over at Performance Jet put my distributor on his machine so I now know it has 21º advance. I just set the static at 15º and know it'll be really close so I can wait till I'm on the lake.
    I just fire it off now to piss off the neighbors

  15. #13
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    actually, I don't even have to worry about running it on the trailer to set the timing anymore. Jim over at Performance Jet put my distributor on his machine so I now know it has 21º advance. I just set the static at 15º and know it'll be really close so I can wait till I'm on the lake.
    I just fire it off now to piss off the neighbors
    I hear you on pissing off the neighbors
    Since I finally went MSD-RTR I only set the timing when I pull the dizy to prim the engine after winterization >like I did two weeks ago
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95