NGK Sparkplug ? Oldsmobile
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
NGK Sparkplug ? Oldsmobile

  1. #1
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Default NGK Sparkplug ? Oldsmobile

    What type of sparkplug are you running in your Olds

    Number given to me is NGK R5671A-8

    JM


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    i have ngk xr4 xr6 in mine well xr4 or xr6 is the number u use to actually order them anyway

  4. #3
    "Try it Now!" Tahiti Boss21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yucaipa, California
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    I run ac delco ..whatever plug a 74 Oldsmobile Toronado calls for. Lasted about 10 yrs before needing replacement. I can get the par # for you if you want.
    1992 Eliminator Daytona 21'

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    i think he wants an ngk plug but the delco number is an r45s

  7. #5
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    just looked at my plugs thery are NGK v power xr5's my cost at mapa was like 2.25 a peice comperable to the r45s delco's in price but twice the plug

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I'm running NGK R5671-A7, NGK stock number 4091, plugs in my Olds. I've got aluminum heads on it though, so not sure if they'd be appropriate for iron heads. They run great with my setup, and are the correct length and heat range.
    Hope that helps,
    Tim

  9. #7
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Default

    I have ordered Edelbrock heads for my Olds and they are on the way.

    Did you notice any increase in performance against the stock Ka or other cast iron heads?

    JM


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    21

    Default

    The biggest benefit to the aluminum Olds heads is that you can run a proper high lift cam and real stud mounted valve train. With the iron heads you're limited to valve lifts of less than 500. I run a big Isky cam on mine and 1:6 Harland Sharp roller rockers, which is vastly superior to the stock setup. Also, the aluminum heads are less prone to pre-ignition, so you can get away with more advance/higher compression ratio/lower octane fuel. The E-brocks supposedly flow as well or better than any worked over C or E head, and have the above benefits, so to me it was a no brainer. Plus they look pretty sweet

  11. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Okanagan Valley B.C.
    Posts
    64

    Default

    NGK XR5... AC Delco R43S... Autolite 85 are all good choices depending on your preferred brand... they all equate to one another in the cross reference charts

    If you go onto these manufacturers websites and search for BB Old's application's... these are the recommended plugs for a mid 60's to '70... 425 and 455 performance models (442, Toronado etc.)

  12. #10
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcfloater View Post
    NGK XR5... AC Delco R43S... Autolite 85 are all good choices depending on your preferred brand... they all equate to one another in the cross reference charts

    If you go onto these manufacturers websites and search for BB Old's application's... these are the recommended plugs for a mid 60's to '70... 425 and 455 performance models (442, Toronado etc.)
    NGK and Champion is the only brands we get here. AC Delco is not availible but I ordered 2 sets of R44S about a year ago. Will they work on the Edelbrocks or do I need to get a different set?

    The cam I am running is a 284/292 with 108 degree lobe seperation.
    Pistons is 14.2cc Icon Forged with Totalseal 2nd ring gapless.
    Carb = 850 Holley DP with 90 Jets front and back.

    JM


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Okanagan Valley B.C.
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet mad View Post
    I ordered 2 sets of R44S about a year ago. Will they work on the Edelbrocks or do I need to get a different set?
    I figure you should be good to go with those plugs... the aluminum heads are superior in removing heat from the combustion chamber over iron, plus there's the added 'infinite radiator' effect from the open water (lake/river) cooling system... still use good gas

    Actually, I think R44S isn't made any more... there is the R43S or R45S... I may be wrong... R44S was a very popular performance plug in the day

  14. #12
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcfloater View Post
    I figure you should be good to go with those plugs... the aluminum heads are superior in removing heat from the combustion chamber over iron, plus there's the added 'infinite radiator' effect from the open water (lake/river) cooling system... still use good gas

    Actually, I think R44S isn't made any more... there is the R43S or R45S... I may be wrong... R44S was a very popular performance plug in the day
    Thanks for the info.

    I use only one type of fuel, which is locally produced from coal. It is called Sasol LRP 95+ Octane with a lead replacement additive.

    Shell and BP are all 93 Octane refined from crude.

    JM


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Okanagan Valley B.C.
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet mad View Post
    The cam I am running is a 284/292 with 108 degree lobe seperation.
    Pistons is 14.2cc Icon Forged with Totalseal 2nd ring gapless.
    Carb = 850 Holley DP with 90 Jets front and back.
    That should make a pretty healthy Old's
    What impeller are you going to run?

    Old's 455's like to make their best reliable power at 4800 to 5100 rpm... after that, the bore/stoke, and rod ratio is not the most desirable for sustained high rpm, plus the narrow, large diameter bearings build a lot of heat... keep that in mind when you put the peddle to the floor... and how long you keep it there

    A fellow over on ROP has a 10/1-455 with a Comp. 292H, Eddy heads, headers, and A-impeller... it really goes well.. and he is having a blast with it (in Alaska)
    Last edited by bcfloater; 04-24-2010 at 08:28 PM.

  16. #14
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcfloater View Post
    That should make a pretty healthy Old's
    What impeller are you going to run?

    Old's 455's like to make their best reliable power at 4800 to 5100 rpm... after that, the bore/stoke, and rod ratio is not the most desirable for sustained high rpm, plus the narrow, large diameter bearings build a lot of heat... keep that in mind when you put the peddle to the floor... and how long you keep it there

    A fellow over on ROP has a 10/1-455 with a Comp. 292H, Eddy heads, headers, and A-impeller... it really goes well.. and he is having a blast with it (in Alaska)
    12JC pump with "A" impeller.

    Done all the oil mods, plus Nascar I beam rods, all ARP studs and bolts, chrome moley stiffeners on the main caps #1-#4, 8 qt Moroso pan etc.

    If it doesn't run the way I like the next step is a Pro-Charger


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95