Dyno how much
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 22

Thread:
Dyno how much

  1. #1
    Senior Member UNASHAMED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    1,073

    Default Dyno how much

    Just curious how much a dyno run is everywhere else. Here at Larry's its $600 for a day for a BBF and $575 for a BBC
    "Don't make me get my penguin"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Atlanta TX
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Around 300 for a day. Conservative DTS dyno.

  4. #3
    About 500' AGL MudPumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Most places in So Cal run about $500 to $600

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member swtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beaumont ca
    Posts
    1,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UNASHAMED View Post
    Just curious how much a dyno run is everywhere else. Here at Larry's its $600 for a day for a BBF and $575 for a BBC
    was told 2 diffrent sources in riverside 800-900 for a day! DAMN.

  7. #5
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpjet View Post
    Around 300 for a day. Conservative DTS dyno.
    Sorry man, don't take this wrong, but that phrase just cracks me. EVERYBODY says the dyno they tested on is "conservative". If that's true, it means either the dyno is not accurate or their motor made less power than they think it should....
    Torque is torque, HP is calculated from that and then corrected to standard air. An engine on an accurate dyno (using the same test) in AK in January should read the SAME corrected HP as the same engine on a dyno in TX in July.... The dyno is either accurate or it's not.
    Now I've heard stories of unscrupulous operators fudging numbers to make more HP... don't think I've heard anyone fudge them to be less. But as always, YMMV...
    To the OP, dyno time is about $600 a day at the shop I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  8. #6
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
    Sorry man, don't take this wrong, but that phrase just cracks me. EVERYBODY says the dyno they tested on is "conservative".

    David I think what he's saying is it's $ 300 on a conservative dyno, but if you want a higher reading number they'll loosen it up for you but that's $ 500 for the day


    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  9. #7
    Senior Member Robert Jonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Canyon Country, CA
    Posts
    601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    David I think what he's saying is it's $ 300 on a conservative dyno, but if you want a higher reading number they'll loosen it up for you but that's $ 500 for the day


    S CP
    Now that was funny

  10. #8
    Senior Member OkieDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    319

    Default dyno time cost

    I recently took my new motor to a dyno. first time ever for me. he charges by the hour. my cost was $400. what I learned was enough to possibly save me from running an incorrect tuneup, and destrying my motor. I learned that my motor makes max torque of 802.3 at 5100 at 26 degrees total timing with air fuel ratio 15.9.
    max hp turned out to be 843 at 6200 at 28 degrees timng.
    had I not tried this dyno thing, I would have gone out and tried to run 38 degrees and mabe hurting my motor. money well spent.

  11. #9
    Swollen Member Wasted Income's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Central, IL
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OkieDave View Post
    I recently took my new motor to a dyno. first time ever for me. he charges by the hour. my cost was $400. what I learned was enough to possibly save me from running an incorrect tuneup, and destrying my motor. I learned that my motor makes max torque of 802.3 at 5100 at 26 degrees total timing with air fuel ratio 15.9.
    max hp turned out to be 843 at 6200 at 28 degrees timng.
    had I not tried this dyno thing, I would have gone out and tried to run 38 degrees and mabe hurting my motor. money well spent.
    15.9 AFR????? Was that a typo I hope? I know lean is mean....but yowzer!?
    1975 CeeBee Avenger 18' - 6.0L LSx, 12JG

    2002 Sunsation 288


  12. #10
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
    15.9 AFR????? Was that a typo I hope? I know lean is mean....but yowzer!?
    Lean is mean then POW !!!!!!

    Interesting #'s on that engine....wonder what it is?

    Dyno money is money very well spent.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  13. #11
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Ya know.........it's amazing. I've done searches several times for an engine dyno in Phoenix. The only thing I can find is a chassis dyno. There are a number of them, but that does me no good.

    Is anybody aware of a shop that has an engine dyno?

    I think I smell a business opportunity in Phoenix.

    I can't believe that with all the people into motorsports in this area and no dyno.
    Last edited by Squirtcha?; 05-06-2010 at 08:23 AM.

  14. #12
    Senior Member UNASHAMED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Az
    Posts
    1,073

    Default

    Here ya go buddy. Steve 480-294-4026 or az speed and marine Jim 480-753-3208.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtcha? View Post
    Ya know.........it's amazing. I've done searches several times for an engine dyno in Phoenix. The only thing I can find is a chassis dyno. There are a number of them, but that does me no good.

    Is anybody aware of a shop that has an engine dyno?

    I think I smell a business opportunity in Phoenix.

    I can't believe that with all the people into motorsports in this area and no dyno.
    "Don't make me get my penguin"

  15. #13
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UNASHAMED View Post
    Here ya go buddy. Steve 480-294-4026 or az speed and marine Jim 480-753-3208.
    There goes my business opportunity.

    Thanks for the contact info.

    Dan

  16. #14
    Senior Member OkieDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    319

    Default lean

    "15.9 AFR????? Was that a typo I hope? I know lean is mean....but yowzer!? "
    "Lean is mean then POW !!!!!! "


    I know, its funny the mixture at next rpm above and below were in the lower 14's. in the 17's at 4600 and 13.72 at 5800. no carb changes.

    motor is BBF. 557", 13:1, FRP SCJ heads, .685 solid roller cam with 1150 dominator carb.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95