intake questions...
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
intake questions...

  1. #1
    gets 'em wet ultrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    folsom, ca
    Posts
    155

    Default intake questions...

    Hey guys,

    After finally removing my rooster booster and adding a droop with some wedging the boat rides much better and even picked up a little speed. Now I'd like to take a look at my intake. I have the standard AT package that includes the "speed grate", shoe, and rideplate. I'm thinking about adding a loader. Any thoughts?? Also putting a straight edge under my boat I'm pretty sure my shoe hangs down well below the keel of the boat which is I've read is a no-no. What is the easiest way to take this measurement so that I know I'm doing it correctly? Where is the biting edge of the shoe? I've posted some pics of the intake below. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!







  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultrajet View Post
    Hey guys,

    After finally removing my rooster booster and adding a droop with some wedging the boat rides much better and even picked up a little speed. Now I'd like to take a look at my intake. I have the standard AT package that includes the "speed grate", shoe, and rideplate. I'm thinking about adding a loader. Any thoughts?? Also putting a straight edge under my boat I'm pretty sure my shoe hangs down well below the keel of the boat which is I've read is a no-no. What is the easiest way to take this measurement so that I know I'm doing it correctly? Where is the biting edge of the shoe? I've posted some pics of the intake below. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    What kind of power are you running? Adding a loader could very well overload the pump which could possibly cause a drop in rpm and speed. I've seen and/or read about that happening on a few occasions.
    As far as what loader, there are many out there that work real well. I've personally had very good results with the White Lightning loaders from Performance Jet- http://www.performancejet.com/whitelighteningNEW.htm

    I don't really have any experience with a shoe other than what I've read about them so I'm not going to pretend and mention anything about set-up. I did notice that the shoe you have does not have any shims between it and the intake. It seems to me that you would need to have the show milled in order to raise it up so it's above the keel. After that, you'd want to get shims to shim it down for fine tuning. The biting edge is the leading edge of the shoe.
    Last edited by Cas; 05-24-2010 at 07:31 PM.

  4. #3
    B1 Racing cs19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,523

    Default

    What kind of horsepower we talking here?

    Whats the keel look like?

    Run a straight edge right down the center of the keel and find the biting edge of the center of the shoe.

    That grate isnt doing you any favors.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gets 'em wet ultrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    folsom, ca
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cs19 View Post
    What kind of horsepower we talking here?

    Whats the keel look like?

    Run a straight edge right down the center of the keel and find the biting edge of the center of the shoe.

    That grate isnt doing you any favors.

    I'm running stock 454 (390hp), I'm topped out at approx 65mph on a good day which seems a bit slow for my hull(southwind t-deck) and setup. I'm hoping some fine tuning might get me over the 70mph hump. If the "biting edge" is considered the center edge of the shoe and then it is actually above keel to the tune of 1/8-1/16". I was thinking the biting edge of the shoe was at its lowest point(ie. against the fin). The keel is pretty flat. I can't find any hook or rocker.

  7. #5
    gets 'em wet ultrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    folsom, ca
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    What kind of power are you running? Adding a loader could very well overload the pump which could possibly cause a drop in rpm and speed. I've seen and/or read about that happening on a few occasions.
    As far as what loader, there are many out there that work real well. I've personally had very good results with the White Lightning loaders from Performance Jet- http://www.performancejet.com/whitelighteningNEW.htm

    I don't really have any experience with a shoe other than what I've read about them so I'm not going to pretend and mention anything about set-up. I did notice that the shoe you have does not have any shims between it and the intake. It seems to me that you would need to have the show milled in order to raise it up so it's above the keel. After that, you'd want to get shims to shim it down for fine tuning. The biting edge is the leading edge of the shoe.

    Cas, I've read about those white lightning loaders. They look pretty sweet but you have to pull the entire jet to that that fifth bolt on and I don't really want to pull the jet. I was actually thinking just the standard ss loader that fits a dominator setup. Is it a must to bolt the loader pad all the way thru or can you get away without bolting thru? Seems it would be a real beeaatch to get access to those screws beneath the oil pan??

  8. #6
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultrajet View Post
    Cas, I've read about those white lightning loaders. They look pretty sweet but you have to pull the entire jet to that that fifth bolt on and I don't really want to pull the jet. I was actually thinking just the standard ss loader that fits a dominator setup. Is it a must to bolt the loader pad all the way thru or can you get away without bolting thru? Seems it would be a real beeaatch to get access to those screws beneath the oil pan??
    Sounds like a Saturday.
    "He is a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter, so dont get any ideas."

  9. #7
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultrajet View Post
    Cas, I've read about those white lightning loaders. They look pretty sweet but you have to pull the entire jet to that that fifth bolt on and I don't really want to pull the jet. I was actually thinking just the standard ss loader that fits a dominator setup. Is it a must to bolt the loader pad all the way thru or can you get away without bolting thru? Seems it would be a real beeaatch to get access to those screws beneath the oil pan??
    The 5th bolt is there for race or high horsepower applications. I'm running about 500 hp and not using the 5th bolt. I also only have 2 of the 4 thru bolted due to not having enough clearance between the pan and intake for the other 2.

  10. #8
    gets 'em wet ultrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    folsom, ca
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    The 5th bolt is there for race or high horsepower applications. I'm running about 500 hp and not using the 5th bolt. I also only have 2 of the 4 thru bolted due to not having enough clearance between the pan and intake for the other 2.
    Without removing headers I don't think I can get down there at all. Can I get away without thru-bolting with such low hp. I'm just lake boating and need a little more speed to keep up with bass boats.

    On another note, I was just down in the garage messin' around and realized the nozzle is not really level. I think my pump, at least from the snoot back, is a little crooked. How much of a performance killer is this???

  11. #9
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ultrajet View Post
    Without removing headers I don't think I can get down there at all. Can I get away without thru-bolting with such low hp. I'm just lake boating and need a little more speed to keep up with bass boats.
    I ran mine for a couple of years before drilling and tapping for 5/16" bolts without any issues. I checked them, as I do now, before each time out to make sure they're tight. I'm not real familiar with the A/T's but if the bolts for the grate/loader are 1/4", I'd at least drill them out and tap for 5/16" bolts for any loader.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultrajet View Post
    On another note, I was just down in the garage messin' around and realized the nozzle is not really level. I think my pump, at least from the snoot back, is a little crooked. How much of a performance killer is this???
    crooked? The mixed flow pumps are installed at about 4º down in relation to the keel. If that's what you're talking about, it's normal.

  12. #10
    gets 'em wet ultrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    folsom, ca
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    I ran mine for a couple of years before drilling and tapping for 5/16" bolts without any issues. I checked them, as I do now, before each time out to make sure they're tight. I'm not real familiar with the A/T's but if the bolts for the grate/loader are 1/4", I'd at least drill them out and tap for 5/16" bolts for any loader.



    crooked? The mixed flow pumps are installed at about 4º down in relation to the keel. If that's what you're talking about, it's normal.

    Actually the nozzle and or pump seems to be tilted sideways a bit. I put a straightedge against each side of nozzle and one side is about 1/4" higher than the other, and unless my garage is not flat I'm pretty sure it is crooked. Never even noticed it before.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95