Distributor vs Sparkplug gap?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread:
Distributor vs Sparkplug gap?

  1. #1
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Exclamation Distributor vs Sparkplug gap?

    This might be a stupid question, but here goes.

    Does the type of distributor you run dictate which plug gap you run?HEI vs Points.

    I run a Mallorry YLM501GV electronic Distributor /ignition and some people say I must run a larger than OEM spec gap, up to.060". Is this correct?

    I am a bit confused to say the least.

    Wikus


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet mad View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but here goes.

    Does the type of distributor you run dictate which plug gap you run?HEI vs Points.

    I run a Mallorry YLM501GV electronic Distributor /ignition and some people say I must run a larger than OEM spec gap, up to.060". Is this correct?

    I am a bit confused to say the least.

    Wikus
    From Mallory's webpage.

    Mallory Knowledgebase Question:
    What is the recommended spark plug gap? When I replaced my old points distributer with the mallory, there was a hesitation, so I re-gaped the plugs from 3500 to 4500 and it ran a lot better. However, I would still like to know what the exact gap should be. Thank you for your time.

    Reply from Rep:
    Plug gap depends on how it's burning, start at .045" and check for color. If they are white, open the gap, if there black close the gap. You want them brown.


    It looks like they recommend anywhere from .035" and up. Just like MSD they don't give you a standard gap, but want you to adjust for best burn.

    Also this from the Unilite installation manual.

    Spark Plug Gaps:
    For street applications, use your engine manufacturer’s specifications. For
    racing applications, start with your engine manufacturer’s specifications.
    Then experiment with, and closely monitor, various gaps to achieve
    maximum performance.


    Again pretty much the same thing that MSD says.
    Last edited by Squirtcha?; 06-09-2010 at 06:15 AM.

  4. #3
    "Mad" Member Jet Mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtcha? View Post
    From Mallory's webpage.

    Mallory Knowledgebase Question:
    What is the recommended spark plug gap? When I replaced my old points distributer with the mallory, there was a hesitation, so I re-gaped the plugs from 3500 to 4500 and it ran a lot better. However, I would still like to know what the exact gap should be. Thank you for your time.

    Reply from Rep:
    Plug gap depends on how it's burning, start at .045" and check for color. If the white open the gap, if there black close the gap. You want them brown.
    Squirtcha,

    I understand that you can open or close the gap to get the plug running the correct color, but what happens when you bring carburation and jetting into the equasion.

    Rich or lean conditions on carburation will also give you a differance in color of the plug.

    Which is more important having the motor run lean and have a nice brown color on the plug with wrong plug gap or vice versa.

    My be I understand it wrong

    Wikus


    Titan H2O Submersible Android Phone

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet mad View Post
    Squirtcha,

    I understand that you can open or close the gap to get the plug running the correct color, but what happens when you bring carburation and jetting into the equasion.

    Rich or lean conditions on carburation will also give you a differance in color of the plug.

    Which is more important having the motor run lean and have a nice brown color on the plug with wrong plug gap or vice versa.

    My be I understand it wrong

    Wikus
    I believe you would find all that plays into the tune, and maybe why they don't give you a set value, but rather have you adjust. Lots of variables. You could possibly even add in type of coil, cylinder heads, heat range of plugs, timing, compression etc etc.

    Just parroting and guessing here.

    The information came from a search. I'm sure someone with first hand knowledge will add.

    I went through the same deal last year when I switched over to MSD stuff. Poured over the website and manual looking for an exact number. Even called their tech support. Basically all told me the same thing (this is with the 6AL box though).

    Spark Plug Gap With a MSD Ignition

    You can run a wider spark plug gap than you would be able to with a stock ignition. The MSD Ignition has a higher voltage output and can jump the spark plug gap easier. As an example, if you normally would run a .028 inch gap on your spark plug with a stock ignition, you could run a .032-.034 inch gap with a MSD Ignition. There are variables that will affect the gap size: the higher the compression - the smaller the gap; the hotter the output of the ignition - the larger the gap, etc.
    Last edited by Squirtcha?; 06-09-2010 at 07:20 AM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member ICECREAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,426

    Default http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=7710

    The spark plug is the story teller of how the jetting, timing, gap, and engine condition is. If you learn to read your plugs you can learn a lot about your motor's health. Here is a link from the dyno section. Scroll down to the articles on reading spark plugs and print them so you can have them with you when you're tuning. Hope this helps.

    http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=7710

  8. #6
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,810

    Default

    Go with E-3's. You don't have to gap them. They work pretty damn well too!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95