Cam Bearings and new Cam...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 19

Thread:
Cam Bearings and new Cam...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default Cam Bearings and new Cam...

    Im in a slight debate with myself on throwing in a mild cam and having to replace the cam bearings.

    I have a '90 20.5 Carrerra with a pretty much Stock Hardin Marine 454. I just put an Edelbrock RPM-Air Gap intake on it, and was thinking of adding the Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam Part # 7162 with an Edelbrock Spring Kit Part #5795 to go with the Holley 750 NON-DP. The engine has 390 hours on it. No issues with the motor, just want a little more out of the cam. Runs 4750rpm right now. Will I need to replace the cam bearings, or should I be ok just putting the new cam in?

    Heres the Cam specs:

    #7162

    ENGINE: CHEVY 396-427-454 V8
    RPM RANGE: 1500-6500

    Duration at 0.006" Lift: Intake: 300° Exhaust: 306° Duration at 0.050" Lift: Intake: 240° Exhaust: 246° Lift at Cam: Intake: 0.330" Exhaust: 0.337" Lift at Valve: Intake: 0.560" Exhaust: 0.573" Timing at 0.050" lift: Open Close Intake: 10° BTDC 50° ABDC Exhaust: 59° BBDC 9° ATDC Centerlines: Lobe Separation - 112° Intake Centerline - 110°

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Any particular reason you think it might be necessary to replace cam bearings?
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sold honda.bought hondo View Post
    Any particular reason you think it might be necessary to replace cam bearings?
    Nope, just want to check with some of you who have more exp dealing with this to make sure, thats all. I didnt know if I needed to, or if it would be ok do just drop a cam in it and change the valve springs. I havent really found a Comp Cam that is comparable to the Edelbrock Performer RPM, so anyone who has any recommendations for this size of boat and a good mild performing cam, Im open to suggestions.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member CK7684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    550

    Default

    My Bullet cam is very close to the Edelbrock Perf RPM roller cam (which is larger than their flat tappet RPM cam) and I really like mine. Mine has tighter lobe sep tho...

    Why not step up to a roller while yr at it?

    Cam bearings shouldnt be a big deal to replace if need be...

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CK7684 View Post
    Why not step up to a roller while yr at it?

    Cam bearings shouldnt be a big deal to replace if need be...
    The thought did cross my mind, but thats a few more shells than what Im looking to drop into it. I figured a decent mild cam to add a little more wow factor and I would be happy, then I would leave it as it sits and quit trying to add more. The cam I figured would be the final icing on the cake in my case. And for a couple shells I could get the cam kit w/ lifters and the spring kit and call it a night.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    IMO you should be very carefull piecemeeling your engine together! Atleast do yourself and family and big dog a favor and wait till after summer. you have a nice ride. USE IT! That particular cam isn't gonna change anything like a night and day difference anyhow. Besides to do it RIGHT you need heads and the springs with a new cam. But it looks like your already ADDICTED! so have at it. I'm sure i'll see you again sometime!

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PS&B1 View Post
    IMO you should be very carefull piecemeeling your engine together! Atleast do yourself and family and big dog a favor and wait till after summer. you have a nice ride. USE IT! That particular cam isn't gonna change anything like a night and day difference anyhow. Besides to do it RIGHT you need heads and the springs with a new cam. But it looks like your already ADDICTED! so have at it. I'm sure i'll see you again sometime!
    Thx PS...

    Not really looking for a night day difference, just a little more pep to carry the top end. I added the RPM-Air Gap and gained 250rpm, if I added this cam, which according to Edelbrock is matched for what I have, RPM-Air Gap and Holley 750, and gained some pep and a few more RPM's, I'd be completely satisfied.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by headshothills View Post
    Thx PS...

    Not really looking for a night day difference, just a little more pep to carry the top end. I added the RPM-Air Gap and gained 250rpm, if I added this cam, which according to Edelbrock is matched for what I have, RPM-Air Gap and Holley 750, and gained some pep and a few more RPM's, I'd be completely satisfied.
    Sorry to burst your bubble man! Not to many of us are COMPLETELY satisfied EVER! lol But hey the first hit is ALWAYS the BEST. PS maybe you should play with the pump a bit first. That way you don't have to worry about breaking on the water! Just a thought. My neighbor wiped a cam on a brand new Stock 454 that weekend. Wanna take a wild guess who made it? or should I say who's name is on it?

  11. #9
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    I would leave it alone and enjoy it. Whos to say after the cam swap your pushrods would be the same length and then your geometry will be off, who knows what the piston to valve clearnce will be(without pulling a head to check it) and if you insist on doing the swap, might as well pull both heads,get the right springs for the cam spec and make it a roller. With todays oils, it not worth it to even mess with flat tappet crap anymore. Atleast with a roller, you will feel the pep in it when you switch it out with a nice one.....Its just not that easy to just swap it out in my opinion. Next thing ya know its the middle of summer and you done blowed her up and your stuck doing a rebuild cuz you thought you needed a "bigger cam" !

  12. #10
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    Like fut's said, your not gonna notice a real difference with that cam. Also as mentioned, the oils will waist the new non-roller cams, in a heartbeat. You may get lucky to have one survive the break-in, but chances are it will go flat in the near future.
    Upper Midwest Power Boat Association
    DRAG BOAT RACING UMPBA #926


  13. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PS&B1 View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble man! Not to many of us are COMPLETELY satisfied EVER! lol But hey the first hit is ALWAYS the BEST. PS maybe you should play with the pump a bit first. That way you don't have to worry about breaking on the water! Just a thought. My neighbor wiped a cam on a brand new Stock 454 that weekend. Wanna take a wild guess who made it? or should I say who's name is on it?
    I know I know, we are men, so satisfaction always changes once we get comfortable something, like we always want to push the limits, I understand that. As far as the pump, it was completely rebuilt 2 months ago by Dan at Jett Performance here in Phx, did an awesome job. Had to replace the bowl, shaft, and impellor...Yah, dont even ask, previous owner, needless to say, $1400 later, I have piece of mind with the pump.

    As far as you cam goes and who made it, Just for the sake of argument, Im gonna say "YOU"...LOL

  14. #12
    Senior Member cave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    Yep, I'd listen to these guys. Have fun this summer then when your ready tear her down Pull the heads, get new bearings, check everything out then if it works out test and tune in the fall or winter! Nothing like adding a part that takes out many other parts.
    Takin it home

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    I would leave it alone and enjoy it. Whos to say after the cam swap your pushrods would be the same length and then your geometry will be off, who knows what the piston to valve clearnce will be(without pulling a head to check it) and if you insist on doing the swap, might as well pull both heads,get the right springs for the cam spec and make it a roller. With todays oils, it not worth it to even mess with flat tappet crap anymore. Atleast with a roller, you will feel the pep in it when you switch it out with a nice one.....Its just not that easy to just swap it out in my opinion. Next thing ya know its the middle of summer and you done blowed her up and your stuck doing a rebuild cuz you thought you needed a "bigger cam" !
    Well, thats the reason for choosing the Edelbrock Cam, its matched for the stock head, pushrods, clearance/lift, and porting, intake, and carb. Its a drop in. Nothing special or radical, the only requirement is to replace the valve springs, and of course they recommend using their timing chain setup. Ive looked at the roller setup, but keep in mind, im only gonna be 400-450hp max, if that, maybe even under 400hp, I agree with the benifits of a roller setup, but its it really neccessary for something under 450hp?

    As far as the swap, I like to tinker and work on stuff, I have an engine compartment that comes out and the entire front of the motor is open, not to mention that the oil pan bolts are all accessible without any problems.

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Avondale, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcrafter View Post
    Like fut's said, your not gonna notice a real difference with that cam. Also as mentioned, the oils will waist the new non-roller cams, in a heartbeat. You may get lucky to have one survive the break-in, but chances are it will go flat in the near future.
    HAHA, whats to say the stock one in there now isnt flat...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95