Switch to Electric Fuel Pump
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
Switch to Electric Fuel Pump

  1. #1
    Senior Member gqchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default Switch to Electric Fuel Pump

    Hey Guys,

    On my 21' Open Bow with a 454, I still have the manual fuel pump. On the ramp, it is taking longer and longer to fire up. Is this normal? Should I be pumping the carb, or not? last weekend it took a good 3-4 minutes of cranking to get here going. Should i rebuild the carb? Or will putting an electric fuel pump on help it? what do I need to make the conversion? Thanks guys!

    Chris

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Mr SEXCLAMATION
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Upland, CA
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Is your pump any good? It should fire right up. It will fire off of the fuel in the carb, the pump will refill the carb.
    If your mechanical pump goes bad, usually the internal diaphragm will blow and dump fuel into your oil. Pull the dipstick and if it smells like gas your pump is dead. This is also dangerous as your motor could blow up with gas being inside it.
    Is your ignition right? If youre running a MSD box, the box could be bad throwing your timing off, making it hard to fire.

  4. #3
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    i'd be looking at fuel leaks at the carb the carb should always have plenty of fuel in it to bust of the motor initially, then of course once its runnin the pump is feeding it more than needed. check to see if your supply hose from the tank to the pump is old and maybe perforated, maybe suckin air instead of fuel. if its a braided hose, jus replace it, had to many buddies starving for fuel at the lake with a bad braided supply line.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Speed is a function of $$ mightylandwalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rio Medina, Texas
    Posts
    119

    Default

    any chance you could be flooding it at the beginning? how much are you pumping it and do you smell any gas? If you have a problem with not enough fuel being pumped from the fuel pump my guess would be it would not be running very long since it would starve itself out. Simple check for that is to take the fuel line loose at the carb and crank on the motor, you should see a pretty good stream come out. That would tell you if the diapham was blown too. Another thing might be the fuel level in the bowls. Before you try to start it next time open up the bowls at the sight screw and see what the gas level is. If you dont see any you could have just a bad float that could be throwing your fuel level out of whack. Rough waters will bend a float pretty easily. Thats where I'd start
    Beer is the answer... but I dont remember the question.

  7. #5
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Check your fuel filter, also add a fuel pressure gauge and see what your getting. I switched over to a Holley Blue with a regulator set at 7lbs. I don't have a choke on my boat and it fires on the first hit every time(i let the pump run for 3-4 seconds before I hit the start). I like electric, i"ll most likely will never go back to mechanical.

  8. #6
    Speed is a function of $$ mightylandwalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rio Medina, Texas
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcraft137 View Post
    Check your fuel filter, also add a fuel pressure gauge and see what your getting. I switched over to a Holley Blue with a regulator set at 7lbs. I don't have a choke on my boat and it fires on the first hit every time(i let the pump run for 3-4 seconds before I hit the start). I like electric, i"ll most likely will never go back to mechanical.
    Like x2
    Beer is the answer... but I dont remember the question.

  9. #7
    Senior Member gqchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GM Killer View Post
    Is your pump any good? It should fire right up. It will fire off of the fuel in the carb, the pump will refill the carb.
    If your mechanical pump goes bad, usually the internal diaphragm will blow and dump fuel into your oil. Pull the dipstick and if it smells like gas your pump is dead. This is also dangerous as your motor could blow up with gas being inside it.
    Is your ignition right? If youre running a MSD box, the box could be bad throwing your timing off, making it hard to fire.
    No fuel in the oil. No smell, always clean.

    No MSD, just a standard Distributor that came with the Hardin Engine. Timing does seems bad though, I thought I had a weak starter, because it kind of lugs slow when turning over, maybe need to check that out and see where she is timed at!

  10. #8
    Senior Member gqchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcraft137 View Post
    Check your fuel filter, also add a fuel pressure gauge and see what your getting. I switched over to a Holley Blue with a regulator set at 7lbs. I don't have a choke on my boat and it fires on the first hit every time(i let the pump run for 3-4 seconds before I hit the start). I like electric, i"ll most likely will never go back to mechanical.
    Hey Sleek, thansk for the tips. Fuel hoses and filters are all brand new from the tanks to the carb.

    Strange thing is, once she is started for the weekend, lits up with ease every time.

  11. #9
    Senior Member gqchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Im thinking timing more and more, because when i first got the boat, she backfired thru the carbeurator once when starting her up. Would that be due to bad timing? Is 8* TDC what I am looking for in the timing dept for a stock motor with 289 hours?

    Chris

  12. #10
    Speed is a function of $$ mightylandwalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rio Medina, Texas
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Doubt timing is your problem or you'd never get her running right but hey I've been wrong before
    Beer is the answer... but I dont remember the question.

  13. #11
    Senior Member gqchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mightylandwalrus View Post
    Doubt timing is your problem or you'd never get her running right but hey I've been wrong before
    Yea she runs great and never overheats etc etc. Its just the initial firing after being gone from the lake for a few weeks. Just cold blooded!

  14. #12
    Speed is a function of $$ mightylandwalrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Rio Medina, Texas
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gqchris View Post
    Yea she runs great and never overheats etc etc. Its just the initial firing after being gone from the lake for a few weeks. Just cold blooded!
    It's a chevrolet what else would you expect! lol (My 468 is a cold natured b*@tch too)
    Beer is the answer... but I dont remember the question.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gqchris View Post
    Im thinking timing more and more, because when i first got the boat, she backfired thru the carbeurator once when starting her up. Would that be due to bad timing? Is 8* TDC what I am looking for in the timing dept for a stock motor with 289 hours?

    Chris
    you probably have a blown power valve from the backfire and more than likely an internal leak in the carb. It empties itself bone dry after it sets for a little while then you have to crank the hell out of it to get fuel back up there.
    Fix the carb. Not the fuel pump.

    Probably need new metering plate gaskets & check the power valve, then you'll be just fine.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  16. #14
    Senior Member gqchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    you probably have a blown power valve from the backfire and more than likely an internal leak in the carb. It empties itself bone dry after it sets for a little while then you have to crank the hell out of it to get fuel back up there.
    Fix the carb. Not the fuel pump.

    Probably need new metering plate gaskets & check the power valve, then you'll be just fine.
    Thanks Hass! Ill get the carb rebuilt next time im out there and fix the issue hopefullY! I meant to pull it off this last trip and bring it home but spaced it after day 4 there because it runs so well after being started! LOL

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95