SOO i bought a fresh bone stock 455 today!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
SOO i bought a fresh bone stock 455 today!

  1. #1
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default SOO i bought a fresh bone stock 455 today!

    like i said i found a fresh bone stock 455 on cl with a new edelbrock torker intake mallory unilite and pro coil (Witch i have soo cleverly named "Sweet Pea" lol) today to put in the boat for a while and to keep as a spare for when the big motor breaks but what kind of tips would you have for keeping it alive Keep in mind it i know nothing about it i am assuming it to be a basic "stock" rebuild the guy didnt remember if he put restrictors and a hv pump in it so i am assuming no until i am proven diffrent aside from keeping it below 4000 rpm and NO wide open runs any tips on making it last i am putting my boat pan on it and external filter mount with a hv filter will just beeing easy on it be enuff to make it live

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Van
    Van is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Pull a main cap, any one but the first one. Check to see a grooved bearing in the cap. If it's not grooved, buy the right ones and change them, simple & very cheep.

  4. #3
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    Pull a main cap, any one but the first one. Check to see a grooved bearing in the cap. If it's not grooved, buy the right ones and change them, simple & very cheep.

    simple yes cheap no lol i just bought bearing for my other one and they were like100 bucks for the mains lol but yeah i will probly pull the rear main toput a good rear seal in

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Marine head gaskets (monellos's) and minimum .0025 rod/main clearance.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  7. #5
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glastornjet73 View Post
    like i said i found a fresh bone stock 455 on cl with a new edelbrock torker intake mallory unilite and pro coil (Witch i have soo cleverly named "Sweet Pea" lol) today to put in the boat for a while and to keep as a spare for when the big motor breaks but what kind of tips would you have for keeping it alive Keep in mind it i know nothing about it i am assuming it to be a basic "stock" rebuild the guy didnt remember if he put restrictors and a hv pump in it so i am assuming no until i am proven diffrent aside from keeping it below 4000 rpm and NO wide open runs any tips on making it last i am putting my boat pan on it and external filter mount with a hv filter will just beeing easy on it be enuff to make it live
    Just curious if this is a Marine motor (clearances) ?

  8. #6
    Member Trever Leach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    thousand palms, Ca
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Just curious if this is a Marine motor (clearances) ?
    just curious. what makes a marine motor a marine motor?

  9. #7
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trever Leach View Post
    just curious. what makes a marine motor a marine motor?
    When it's bolted into a boat instead of a car..LOL.

  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trever Leach View Post
    just curious. what makes a marine motor a marine motor?
    most curious about piston to cylinder clearances in this case, Marine Applications generally require an extra .001"-.003" clearance because of the possible combination of high load operation and cold water to the block. A cold block with hot pistons is what may dictate the need for extra clearance

  11. #9
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    most curious about piston to cylinder clearances in this case, Marine Applications generally require an extra .001"-.003" clearance because of the possible combination of high load operation and cold water to the block. A cold block with hot pistons is what may dictate the need for extra clearance
    My 455 came out of a car and i while i must admit to not actually measuring piston/wall clearances it did have stock pistons in it, i swapped in another set of barely used stds back in that had less dish, and the end gaps on std rings i used set up right on spec....
    I am don't think anything more than an extra thou piston to wall is really needed...more important is the marine head gaskets..The mondello's i used have much smaller coolant passages and after a conversation with monedello i was told that 455 olds in a marine application have a tendency to over cool the 4 center cylinders..as it happens...the motor i took out that had automotive gaskets had the skirts destroyed on both sides of the 4 center cylinders..I run v-drive..no t-stat and it might take as mucg as 10 min. at light throttle to get it up to 150 degrees but it will stay above 150 ans less than 180 all day...and while i haven't torn down to inspect i run a comp check every 2 times out and it hasn't changed since break in
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95