starter issues
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 15

Thread:
starter issues

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default starter issues

    OK im stumped. My starter works when it wants to. The solenoid is good. All connections are tight. what could it be? the starter is fairly new.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    WFL Crew TINTDESIGNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    3,874

    Default

    I feel yo pain!

    WFL CREW!
    http://www.performanceboats.com/cont...-magazine.html
    Everybody wants some...I want some too!

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    It looks pretty sketchy when i have to load start the starter just to take off..

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    I don't feel tardy Hallett Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93ultra View Post
    It looks pretty sketchy when i have to load start the starter just to take off..
    Ignition switch perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Im non induced and My turd leaves pretty hard as she sits.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    just replaced that last year.

  8. #6
    I don't feel tardy Hallett Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93ultra View Post
    OK im stumped. My starter works when it wants to. The solenoid is good. All connections are tight. what could it be? the starter is fairly new.

    But are ground connections adequate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Im non induced and My turd leaves pretty hard as she sits.

  9. #7
    Senior Member GRoper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    How old is the starter? is it a bottom mount? If it gets wet, which is usually the case with jet boats, there is no telling how long they will last. Ive had em go out in a season from water. is it just spinning and not enguaging? if so try taking it off and greasing the gear shaft that comes out of the starter, if it just clicks it could be your battery isnt charged up enough. starter grimlins can be frustrating.

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    just checked with ohm meter, when the key is in on, i have 12.8 volts. At cranked 0.03 output of the ignition switch.

  11. #9
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93ultra View Post
    just checked with ohm meter, when the key is in on, i have 12.8 volts. At cranked 0.03 output of the ignition switch.
    Please describe "works when it wants to" is this hot ,cold , anytime ?clicks , clunks nothing at all when this happens what do the guages do ? does the boat have an "Aux" solenoid besides the actual starter solenoid (helper) do you have a full 12volts at the solenoid on cranking often times theres an enormous voltage drop from Battery to dash and back and then to the solenoid ? Tom

  12. #10
    Horsepower sells Engines lefty's pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Langley, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93ultra View Post
    just checked with ohm meter, when the key is in on, i have 12.8 volts. At cranked 0.03 output of the ignition switch.
    well if you are only getting .03 volts from the ing switch on the start circuit there is a bad connection some where. when you say checked with an ohm meter that really doesn't tell you any thing if you take a battery cable and snip it in to and push the two ends together you will see no restriction but if you push 200+ amps across it you will loose a lot of voltage. just start either jumping out parts of the circuit or volt drop test it and good luck
    "Horsepower sells Engines but torque wins races."
    "winners never quit, quitters never win
    those who never win and never quit are idiots"
    "if at first you don't succeed redefine success"
    "why is there never time to do it right, but there is aways time to do it twice"

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default

    [/IMG]argh...i just got through this with the help of the people on this site)first,good battery?13+ volts. 2nd 10 ga wire to and from key switch( to help eliminate voltage drop) 3rd set up a helper solenoid .4th verify good starter at auto parts store. 5th take out spark plugs and spin it over without compression(no water in the cylinders)
    Last edited by mikewtx19; 07-22-2010 at 04:24 AM.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Please describe "works when it wants to" is this hot ,cold , anytime ?clicks , clunks nothing at all when this happens what do the guages do ? does the boat have an "Aux" solenoid besides the actual starter solenoid (helper) do you have a full 12volts at the solenoid on cranking often times theres an enormous voltage drop from Battery to dash and back and then to the solenoid ? Tom
    Works when it wants to= cold, hot, first start, last start, midday, its a guessing game.

    I do not have a helper solenoid.

    The starter doesnt engage when it does this.

    I have 2 fully charged batteries. When im hooked up to the battery charger it will work fine( maybe this has something to do with it??

    Could it be a wire issue?

    Mike, thanks for the diagram, its funny because i was talking to someone yesterday about this and he said he saw one on here some time ago pencil whipped.. Perfect timing!
    Last edited by 93ultra; 07-22-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: additional info

  15. #13
    I don't feel tardy Hallett Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 93ultra View Post
    Works when it wants to= cold, hot, first start, last start, midday, its a guessing game.

    I do not have a helper solenoid.

    The starter doesnt engage when it does this.

    I have 2 fully charged batteries. When im hooked up to the battery charger it will work fine( maybe this has something to do with it??

    Could it be a wire issue?

    Mike, thanks for the diagram, its funny because i was talking to someone yesterday about this and he said he saw one on here some time ago pencil whipped.. Perfect timing!
    This should tell you something Grasshopper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Im non induced and My turd leaves pretty hard as she sits.

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default

    mine was the same...a ford style sol is 10 bucks some battery cable is another 10 plus an hour of your time...it sounds like theres not enough voltage to fire the sol...the helper sol turns 30 feet of wire into 1 foot...mikey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95