First day with diverter
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 23

Thread:
First day with diverter

  1. #1
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default First day with diverter

    Put the diverter on yesterday, and when straight to the lake to try it out.

    All the way down, the boat planes out right now, and takes off pretty good.
    Into a corner, the thing throws the back around a bit quick, so that is not the place to be when turning, right?

    After a straight launch with the nozzle down,
    2 or 3 clicks up, and the thing just lurches forward like a car shifting gears. Nice! A sweet spot!

    About 2 or 3 clicks from the top, it seem like kind of a flat spot, but corners ok, I think...
    All the way up, I get a nice rooster, but not real high, and the boat doesn't steer worth a damn. The nozzle is as far up as it can go, physically.

    Does this sound about right?

    Is there a sweet spot for turning?
    I hate spin outs, really....love roosters. That sheeet is fun!
    Last edited by jet460; 07-21-2010 at 03:30 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member GRoper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    Put the diverter on yesterday, and when straight to the lake to try it out.

    All the way down, the boat planes out right now, and takes off pretty good.
    Into a corner, the thing throws the back around a bit quick, so that is not the place to be when turning, right?

    After a straight launch with the nozzle down,
    2 or 3 clicks up, and the thing just lurches forward like a car shifting gears. Nice! A sweet spot!

    About 2 or 3 clicks from the top, it seem like kind of a flat spot, but corners ok, I think...
    All the way up, I get a nice rooster, but not real high, and the boat doesn't steer worth a damn. The nozzle is as far up as it can go, physically.

    Does this sound about right?

    Is there a sweet spot for turning?
    I hate spin outs, really....love roosters. That sheeet is fun!
    Ive found that right when the roost is about to start coming out of the water is the best place to be when turning on my boat now and my previouse one.
    About 6' out of the water is where you will find youre most mph (again, in my experience) but can get sketchy as hell when the water gets rough and I wouldnt try to do too much turning with it like that.

    All the way down is good for rough water and launching.

  4. #3
    "BOATLESS" blender over's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wildomar/Big River/OcotilloWells
    Posts
    3,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet460 View Post
    Put the diverter on yesterday, and when straight to the lake to try it out.

    All the way down, the boat planes out right now, and takes off pretty good.
    Into a corner, the thing throws the back around a bit quick, so that is not the place to be when turning, right?

    After a straight launch with the nozzle down,
    2 or 3 clicks up, and the thing just lurches forward like a car shifting gears. Nice! A sweet spot!

    About 2 or 3 clicks from the top, it seem like kind of a flat spot, but corners ok, I think...
    All the way up, I get a nice rooster, but not real high, and the boat doesn't steer worth a damn. The nozzle is as far up as it can go, physically.

    Does this sound about right?

    Is there a sweet spot for turning?
    I hate spin outs, really....love roosters. That sheeet is fun!
    Is that a bahner you have?
    My old blown bbc bahner liked a 2ft to 3ft roost for max speed around 94mph
    Out of the hole it like the diverter all the way down.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    It's a 78 Hawaiian 19' v hull w/460 12jc.
    It does about 60-63 max.

    Fast enough for me.

    I love my boat.

    Here's a vid from yesterday. I'm not very good at wheelies...yet.

    Last edited by jet460; 07-21-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  7. #5
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRoper View Post
    Ive found that right when the roost is about to start coming out of the water is the best place to be when turning on my boat now and my previouse one.
    About 6' out of the water is where you will find youre most mph (again, in my experience) but can get sketchy as hell when the water gets rough and I wouldnt try to do too much turning with it like that.

    All the way down is good for rough water and launching.
    Yeah, I'd say it's about 6' high.
    I've seen a few boats that shoot 'em twice that, but hey, I got what I got.

  8. #6
    Member Get'erWet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atascocita
    Posts
    78

    Default

    NICE...!

    I'm told that a real HIGH rooster does not give you more power...your's seems to be good...right height...simular to mine...however mines Hydraulic so I couldn't compare clicks (postion)...I just adjust mine as to how I'm running....Enjoy...!
    BTW...what water are you running in...?


    Diamond Dave

  9. #7
    Senior Member YumaJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Az
    Posts
    829

    Default

    turning with a diverter up is as good as riding a bike without handle bars. i tried turning and forgot i had my diverter up and went straight to the bushes and it was a lesson learned. heres my vid when i had a diverter.


    boatless....

  10. #8
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Get'erWet View Post
    NICE...!

    I'm told that a real HIGH rooster does not give you more power...your's seems to be good...right height...simular to mine...however mines Hydraulic so I couldn't compare clicks (postion)...I just adjust mine as to how I'm running....Enjoy...!
    BTW...what water are you running in...?


    Diamond Dave
    With it up, the boat slows down for sure. As I said earlier, the best thrust/speed seems to be about 3 or 4 clicks up from the bottom. After that, it just flattens out, or shoots the rooster and slows a bit.
    I am usually at Modesto reservoir in Waterford, Ca.
    Very accommodating lake. Small, but good for a low profile boat to run around in.

  11. #9
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YumaJet View Post
    turning with a diverter up is as good as riding a bike without handle bars. i tried turning and forgot i had my diverter up and went straight to the bushes and it was a lesson learned. heres my vid when i had a diverter.


    I have seen that vid, and left a comment.
    That last one is just insane.
    Like I said, you could put out fires on the shore with that thing.
    Fun as hell....

  12. #10
    tintingsandiego krusn56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    your boat looks and runs very well.....great upgrade. I have a jc with place and its not a huge roost but helps out the plane/speed about one click up from center.
    Made In The Shade

    Custom Window Tinting

  13. #11
    History Repeating Storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Right on! Sounds just about how mine behaves with the diverter, which is good since our boats are so similar. My next upgrade is a droop to try to air the boat out some more

    This is all the way up, foot to the floor

    Last edited by Storz; 07-21-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    '84 Laser LTV - Restoration in progress
    '77 Caribbean

  14. #12
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YumaJet View Post
    turning with a diverter up is as good as riding a bike without handle bars. i tried turning and forgot i had my diverter up and went straight to the bushes and it was a lesson learned. heres my vid when i had a diverter.


    I concur > especially with our hulls.
    Diverter down a few clicks help my sponson's grab and it turns on rails...well kinda
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  15. #13
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Storz View Post
    Right on! Sounds just about how mine behaves with the diverter, which is good since our boats are so similar. My next upgrade is a droop to try to air the boat out some more

    This is all the way up, foot to the floor

    Yep. Looks about the same.
    What a fun toy!

  16. #14
    Senior Member YumaJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Az
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    I concur > especially with our hulls.
    Diverter down a few clicks help my sponson's grab and it turns on rails...well kinda
    It was fun having a diverter, but I won't use one on my 19ft daytona. I don't see too many 19s with diverters out here. Do you have any vids of your boat with the diverter?
    boatless....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95