Motor getting a liitle too warm.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 56

Thread:
Motor getting a liitle too warm.

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dominator Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lansing Michigan
    Posts
    207

    Default Motor getting a liitle too warm.

    Okay guys here is the riddle. Before installing my Weiand tunnel ram I was running a Torker 460 intake and my 460 always ran a temp of of 170-180 degrees under any circumstances. WOT or idle,it didn't matter.
    Now that I am running the tunnel ram she still runs at the 170-180 if I am cruising or at WOT but at idle she will climb to 200 and won't cool down unless I bring the RPM's to at least 1500 minimum. Nothing else was changed so what is going on here.

    Any ideas?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tunnelram004.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	81581  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member 540bahner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    the potholes osullivan reservoir
    Posts
    93

    Default

    are you running a thermostat

  4. #3
    History Repeating Storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    596

    Default

    That is def odd, can you try opening up the water valve a bit to allow more water into the system? My 460 with a tunnel ram runs right around 120 cruising/WOT and creeps up to 150 while ideling.
    '84 Laser LTV - Restoration in progress
    '77 Caribbean

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Storz View Post
    That is def odd, can you try opening up the water valve a bit to allow more water into the system? My 460 with a tunnel ram runs right around 120 cruising/WOT and creeps up to 150 while ideling.
    Sorry but I was always told to NEVER restrict water input.......... Restrictions should be in the exit lines. ....Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  7. #5
    History Repeating Storz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Sorry but I was always told to NEVER restrict water input.......... Restrictions should be in the exit lines. ....Ray
    Mine came from the factory like that, been working fine for 34 years
    '84 Laser LTV - Restoration in progress
    '77 Caribbean

  8. #6
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator Scott View Post
    Okay guys here is the riddle. Before installing my Weiand tunnel ram I was running a Torker 460 intake and my 460 always ran a temp of of 170-180 degrees under any circumstances. WOT or idle,it didn't matter.
    Now that I am running the tunnel ram she still runs at the 170-180 if I am cruising or at WOT but at idle she will climb to 200 and won't cool down unless I bring the RPM's to at least 1500 minimum. Nothing else was changed so what is going on here.

    Any ideas?????
    Scott honestly I'm surprized the prior "norm" would have been 170-180 ? for your boat , most jets struggle under normal conditions to maintain 125 ish (without a stat setup) and even then they will run 160 or so ,not sure how the tunnel ram may relate but if at all if your plumbing is correct you might be a little leaner ?? I would also give some thought to jet internal condition as it is the supply source to your motor the fact that it heats up at idle suggests low flow Tom

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Sorry but I was always told to NEVER restrict water input.......... Restrictions should be in the exit lines. ....Ray
    X's 2 on not restricting in

  9. #7
    Senior Member Dominator Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lansing Michigan
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Scott honestly I'm surprized the prior "norm" would have been 170-180 ? for your boat , most jets struggle under normal conditions to maintain 125 ish (without a stat setup) and even then they will run 160 or so ,not sure how the tunnel ram may relate but if at all if your plumbing is correct you might be a little leaner ?? I would also give some thought to jet internal condition as it is the supply source to your motor the fact that it heats up at idle suggests low flow Tom


    X's 2

    Maybe the gauge is wrong. Guess I should replace the sending unit for starters to find out if that is the problem. No I am not running a T-stat of any kind.

  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator Scott View Post
    Maybe the gauge is wrong. Guess I should replace the sending unit for starters to find out if that is the problem. No I am not running a T-stat of any kind.
    Scott as opposed to that route maybe do some systematic testing to proof out whats happening , everyone should have one of these in thier on tool kit great for trouble shooting problems , good for tuning as well
    Geeez my Keyboard is smokin...

  11. #9
    Senior Member Rain Maker MN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Sorry but I was always told to NEVER restrict water input.......... Restrictions should be in the exit lines. ....Ray
    Restricting after the engine....builds water pressure in the engine...the pump will keep ramming the water in and you will be limiting how much leaves the engine.....only one place to go...blown out freeze plugs, hoses or your gaskets....

  12. #10
    Senior Member Dominator Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lansing Michigan
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Scott as opposed to that route maybe do some systematic testing to proof out whats happening , everyone should have one of these in thier on tool kit great for trouble shooting problems , good for tuning as well
    Geeez my Keyboard is smokin...
    After reading some of the repies I am wondering if the temp gauge is giving me a bad reading. The temp sending unit is plumbed into the the cap where the T-stat opening is on the intake. Should I possiblly plumb it in somewhere else like the head or block itself.

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    MANTECA
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Cx
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Maker MN View Post
    Restricting after the engine....builds water pressure in the engine...the pump will keep ramming the water in and you will be limiting how much leaves the engine.....only one place to go...blown out freeze plugs, hoses or your gaskets....
    X2............the pump makes a lot of pressure and your engine should have around 16-20 psi MAX.....check to make sure that the water is flowing out of the block. It is possible that a piece of gasket went into the block while you were changing the manifold. Good luck.
    Chris

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Regardless....

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Maker MN View Post
    Restricting after the engine....builds water pressure in the engine...the pump will keep ramming the water in and you will be limiting how much leaves the engine.....only one place to go...blown out freeze plugs, hoses or your gaskets....
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Cx

    X2............the pump makes a lot of pressure and your engine should have around 16-20 psi MAX.....check to make sure that the water is flowing out of the block. It is possible that a piece of gasket went into the block while you were changing the manifold. Good luck.
    Chris
    Regardless, allow full flow from the pump. If you feel you're over pressuring the block, add dumps after the engine..... Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Ray, your thinking way to much like a v-drive guy. Your use to water from a Magnaflow, or a drag pickup. They are running off the jet pump. You restrict the flow OUT of the motor with their setup, and your likely to lift the heads right off the block.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  16. #14
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default

    ok ive seen people post both ways one is to not get hot spots the other is to not blow gaskets.....i want to raise my temp a little. i have the traditional bassett diagram set-up and a relief valve set to 15 after the pump gate. so do i restrict the pump valve or the exit. i also need to retsrict the exit anyways to get my water injection down in the rpms any ways but what is the right way to raise temp. from a jet tech maybe tom. my boat barely hit 105 at wot last time a took it out.
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95