Motor wont go over 3000 rpm!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 45

Thread:
Motor wont go over 3000 rpm!

  1. #1
    Wetnreckless805 Olds 455
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Paso Robles
    Posts
    34

    Default Motor wont go over 3000 rpm!

    I have a rebuilt olds 455, with a mild comp cam, edlebrock performer, edlebrock 1406 600cfm carb with electric choke and electronic ignition, out of the water the motor will rev out to 4 or 5k but in the water it stops pulling at about 3100 RPM. doesnt cut out or studder just wont accelerate past 3k...any ideas. I have full through on throttle linkage and timed it with a light...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member GRoper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,021

    Default

    What impellar cut? What kind of gnition? Check that all plugs are fireing, boots are all the way on plug? I know, you have probably checked plugs, just goin through the check list in my head. Plugged fuel filter?

  4. #3
    Senior Member TNYoungblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    What was it turnin before with the pump loaded??

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Wet
    Wet is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Make sure the timing is advancing, and the secondaries are opening.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    433

    Default

    your secondaries need load to open, no? Check those 1st.
    .



    -

  8. #6
    Wet
    Wet is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    East Hampton, CT
    Posts
    4,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSquirt View Post
    your secondaries need load to open, no? Check those 1st.
    Mechanical secondaries need a load? Anyhow, he stated that timing is good and full throttle is achieved

  9. #7
    Senior Member YumaJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Az
    Posts
    829

    Default

    same thing happened to me. with no load, it would rev up to 6k no problem. on the water, it was maxxed at 4500 rpm's. turned out my secondaries wouldnt open. threw that carb away and picked up a 750 cfm holley and got it up to 5500 rpms on the water and 7k without a load.

    it could be a number of things, but that carb you have isn't help either.
    boatless....

  10. #8
    Senior Member YumaJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yuma, Az
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I know nothing about edelbrock carbs "for a reason" but in his post he didn't say anything about the secondaries, are these carbs mechanical secondaries?

    i didnt either, till i googled it.

    Application:

    Street
    Edelbrock 1406 Performer 600 CFM Four Barrel CarburetorEdelbrock Performer Series carburetors have the ability to handle the demands of everyday driving and can still deliver the performance you want. It is unaffected by engine backfires because there are no power valves to blow out. The Edelbrock's 1406 uses metering rods to transition between circuits and these rods can be changed in seconds without removing the carburetor or draining any fuel. And once a Performer carburetor is tuned, it stays tuned. That means you get consistent performance. The lightweight two-piece aluminum body resists warping and is compatible with fuels that are blended. * Natural finish, order Edelbrock 14064 for EnduraShine finish.
    * Electric choke, square flange, non-EGR
    * For stud kit, order Edelbrock 8008 or Edelbrock 8024 kit
    Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor• Designed for small block or small displacement big block engines
    • Match with Edelbrock Performer or Performer EPS intake manifolds
    • Includes both timed and full vacuum ports
    • Work well on stock or lightly modified engines
    • Calibrated 2% leaner than Edelbrock 1405 carbhttp://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=468
    boatless....

  11. #9
    oldsmopile equipped
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lake Lansing MI.
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YumaJet View Post
    i didnt either, till i googled it.

    Application:

    Street
    Edelbrock 1406 Performer 600 CFM Four Barrel CarburetorEdelbrock Performer Series carburetors have the ability to handle the demands of everyday driving and can still deliver the performance you want. It is unaffected by engine backfires because there are no power valves to blow out. The Edelbrock's 1406 uses metering rods to transition between circuits and these rods can be changed in seconds without removing the carburetor or draining any fuel. And once a Performer carburetor is tuned, it stays tuned. That means you get consistent performance. The lightweight two-piece aluminum body resists warping and is compatible with fuels that are blended. * Natural finish, order Edelbrock 14064 for EnduraShine finish.
    * Electric choke, square flange, non-EGR
    * For stud kit, order Edelbrock 8008 or Edelbrock 8024 kit
    Edelbrock 1406 600 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor• Designed for small block or small displacement big block engines
    • Match with Edelbrock Performer or Performer EPS intake manifolds
    • Includes both timed and full vacuum ports
    • Work well on stock or lightly modified engines
    • Calibrated 2% leaner than Edelbrock 1405 carbhttp://performanceparts.com/part.php?partID=468
    I would always go with a mechanical secondary carb with a boat, these are not cars. I also think 600 cfm is way to small for a boat, once again this is not a car.

  12. #10
    Purple headed member Quickjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    7,646

    Default

    A couple points:
    Edelbrock carbs are great carburators, especially in a stick car. If you are parking your car and your emergency brake is non operational you can always shove that pile of shit carb under the front tire to keep the car from rolling. It works great and alot better than carrying around some old block of wood.
    Second point:
    You stated that the motor was rebuilt. Did you change the camshaft? If you did, do you rember how and where you installed it at? and please don't answer that question with "In my garage".
    It could be the cam is way out of timming. A friend of mine had a similar problem in his flatty. Wouldn't rev past 2600 rpm. After going through the carbs, dist, valve adjustment I figured out that it was a mechanical issue and not a tunning one. Tore it down and found the cam to be installed on the keyway and lined up with the crankshaft's dot (approx 116 degrees out)Re-Installed it the right way and it ran like a raped ape.....
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I used to believe QJ was a gay black man..

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Secret View Post
    Keith...
    Real Fast Big Blocks are always V-Drives

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wetnreckless805 View Post
    I have full through on throttle linkage
    my bad. didn't catch this the first time around.
    .



    -

  14. #12
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YumaJet View Post
    sand got it up to 5500 rpms on the water and 7k without a load.
    .

    Why ?

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  15. #13
    Senior Member moneysucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Descanso, California, United States
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    A couple points:
    Edelbrock carbs are great carburators, especially in a stick car. If you are parking your car and your emergency brake is non operational you can always shove that pile of shit carb under the front tire to keep the car from rolling. It works great and alot better than carrying around some old block of wood.
    And they are shiney! I would borrow a carb and see if that is the problem before spending too much money.
    Vinyl Graphics, Magnetic signs, Reg #s, Boat names, Banners, Boat decals, Etc. Please contact me Via facebook or e-mail [email protected].

  16. #14
    Senior Member jet460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    681

    Default

    600cfm is too small for a boat with a 455.
    I have a 460 with 2 450's that tops out at 4700rpm's/60mph.
    Get a bigger carb.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95