pump setback?????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
pump setback?????

  1. #1
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default pump setback?????

    what is the advantage of this. if i decide to ditch the jac yj, ditch the energizer plan, get a used pump and intake fully loaded....since i wil have too do extensive glasswork anyways.....i just want to hear the pros explain the advantages and how much work it will be. i can do basic glass work but this would be the first doing anything of this caliber. also with the pump set back would i leave the engine in the original spot and run a longer DL. while saving for a jetaway?
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member zacho!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    979

    Default

    I own a Kachina 18', and setting the pump and motor back is the best mod to date.

  4. #3
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default

    i wont be able to move the engine back if i wish to add a jetaway. as it is right now i think my heads are less than a foot away from the moleded edge of the transom
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skippers WFOT View Post
    i wont be able to move the engine back if i wish to add a jetaway. as it is right now i think my heads are less than a foot away from the moleded edge of the transom
    I seriously doubt you'd want to move your engine back anyway. A jetaway by itself will take up 4-4.5 inches, so assuming you set your new pump back 2.5-4 inches you'll likely have to move the engine forward a bit.

  7. #5
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default

    i was thinking seting it back 4-6 inches. but im still trying to discover the benifits of this mod. and the benifits of all mods. there needs to be a thread....JETBOATS FOR IDIOTS. that outlines the what do i want to do just like shit for cars and trucks. example. if you have a 4x4 and want more clearance add bigger tires and or more lift but if you do this your speedo will be off and your center of gravity will change. for off road use this is ok but freeway driving will be greatly comprimised.
    so what are the jet mods and what it does for the performance vs ride. setback, shoe, loader, intake, grate,droop, ride plate, the only one that i have found clearly explained was the adds for place diverter. but cant find a jetboat glossery with definitions anywhere.
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

  8. #6
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Where are you located and who do you have in mind to do your swap/setback?
    Best thing you could do for now is read read read! Use the search feature on this site and you'll likely find all the answers you need.

  9. #7
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default

    im in sacramento, there are no jetboat shops here in town. i dont know what berk yet, id like to find a used one with diverter and all but, for who will do the work. i need to find the right price or ill try to do it myself. and as for reading. that is why i would lke 1 location for it all. have you seen what happens when you type in jetboat intake. you get all the threads that have the word jetboat. ot any thread with carbutaters in it. there are tutorial sections for jets, but these topics are not in that section
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

  10. #8
    AAARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!! Motomatt68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    288

    Default

    I understand your searching pains. It is hit or miss since the words you usually search for are in a lot of threads that have nothing to do with what you want to learn. Often posters will put up a link to a thread that explains everything you wanted to know and you cant believe you missed it. That is what I get half the time I ask a question.

    My motto is "ask a stupid question, hope for a compassionate response."

    Matt.

  11. #9
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skippers WFOT View Post
    im in sacramento, there are no jetboat shops here in town. i dont know what berk yet, id like to find a used one with diverter and all but, for who will do the work. i need to find the right price or ill try to do it myself. and as for reading. that is why i would lke 1 location for it all. have you seen what happens when you type in jetboat intake. you get all the threads that have the word jetboat. ot any thread with carbutaters in it. there are tutorial sections for jets, but these topics are not in that section
    I hear ya on the search feature. Try 'setback' and you should find some useful info.....mixed in with some less than useful stuff.
    What kinda budget are you working with and what are your eventual goals for this boat? If you start chasing speed are you one of the rare few that can do a set amount and then be happy with that? If not I strongly advise you to save your money and find a little better hull to start with....perhaps a Daytona or other type tunnel like a Southwind, Crusader, etc. or perhaps a TX19 or similar gullwing.
    You can dump tons of money into your Charger and when you go to sell it you'll likely get 15-20 cents on the dollar...if you're lucky.

  12. #10
    Senior Member zacho!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skippers WFOT View Post
    i was thinking seting it back 4-6 inches. but im still trying to discover the benifits of this mod. and the benifits of all mods. there needs to be a thread....JETBOATS FOR IDIOTS. that outlines the what do i want to do just like shit for cars and trucks. example. if you have a 4x4 and want more clearance add bigger tires and or more lift but if you do this your speedo will be off and your center of gravity will change. for off road use this is ok but freeway driving will be greatly comprimised.
    so what are the jet mods and what it does for the performance vs ride. setback, shoe, loader, intake, grate,droop, ride plate, the only one that i have found clearly explained was the adds for place diverter. but cant find a jetboat glossery with definitions anywhere.
    It took me years to build my boat with thousands spent on the pump alone. Luckily we built the boat concentrating on dialing the hull/pump first, then adding HP. FWIW, my Kachina really is so much more of enjoyable boat after the setback. My buddy did the same 3/4 setback on his boat and he seems to think he should have done that first as well.

  13. #11
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75 TX View Post
    I hear ya on the search feature. Try 'setback' and you should find some useful info.....mixed in with some less than useful stuff.
    What kinda budget are you working with and what are your eventual goals for this boat? If you start chasing speed are you one of the rare few that can do a set amount and then be happy with that? If not I strongly advise you to save your money and find a little better hull to start with....perhaps a Daytona or other type tunnel like a Southwind, Crusader, etc. or perhaps a TX19 or similar gullwing.
    You can dump tons of money into your Charger and when you go to sell it you'll likely get 15-20 cents on the dollar...if you're lucky.
    im on the fence about just selling the cahrger and going a different route. but it was my uncles boat that he bought new and died of cancer back in the early 90's. so for sentiment im trying to just make it great. as for speed im not trying to be the fastest one in the water but i dont want to be the slowest either. right now my 149cc lance scooter could beat my jetboat. and my stock 5.7 stern daycruiser is not far behind. i think i could be happy with 70 maybe 80 on pump gas. i know its a stretch but...as for money i dont think i would want to dump more than about 3-4 more$ to achieve that speed. anymore than that il start just saving for a different hull instead
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

  14. #12
    Senior Member lilrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lakewood
    Posts
    1,450

    Default

    just use the boat for what it is. When you want to go faster, get a purpose built race hull. You will save money, be safer, and be faster.

  15. #13
    Senior Member skippers WFOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    517

    Default

    but 60 just seems so slow for a speedboat
    1977 Charger 17Foot. jacuzzi golden eagle
    402 BBC tunnel ram with dual 660 fuel leaks on the top.

  16. #14
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skippers WFOT View Post
    im on the fence about just selling the cahrger and going a different route. but it was my uncles boat that he bought new and died of cancer back in the early 90's. so for sentiment im trying to just make it great. as for speed im not trying to be the fastest one in the water but i dont want to be the slowest either. right now my 149cc lance scooter could beat my jetboat. and my stock 5.7 stern daycruiser is not far behind. i think i could be happy with 70 maybe 80 on pump gas. i know its a stretch but...as for money i dont think i would want to dump more than about 3-4 more$ to achieve that speed. anymore than that il start just saving for a different hull instead
    It's a tough call, I know, being that there's sentimental value involved. If you've got 'surplus' money then I'd definetly swap in a Berk/Dom/AT/Aggressor pump and spend the time and money to get it dialed in. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get into the 70's or even low 80's in that boat with a well setup pump and around 450hp. But be aware that it's gonna cost thousands to get there....unless you do most of the work yourself. And being that it's a 'nothing special' hull (no offense) you're gonna get hosed when it comes time to sell it.
    Been having any luck with the search feature?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95