intake pressure tap location
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 44

Thread:
intake pressure tap location

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default intake pressure tap location

    gonna do a pressure tap in the morning ....where should i put them? also is 1/4 the right size and where do i get that black plastic hydrolic tubing

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    It's a sickness Eliminator#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    QC, Mcintyre
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    1in from the wearing register, 5/32 plastic is what i use from parker store you can get everything you need there. here you go
    http://www.parkerstorephx.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pump.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	83283  
    Last edited by Eliminator#1; 08-23-2010 at 09:27 PM.
    LIFE'S GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!
    QE 072


  4. #3
    "BEER BUDGET RACING" Bodean's Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Okmulgee, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    3,621

    Default

    I wanna get in on this, would an oil pressure gauge be ok to use? or is there a specific gauge that needs to be used? should the pressure be a constant # or will it fluctuate thoughout the RPM range?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    It's a sickness Eliminator#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    QC, Mcintyre
    Posts
    1,354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodean's Hammer View Post
    I wanna get in on this, would an oil pressure gauge be ok to use? or is there a specific gauge that needs to be used? should the pressure be a constant # or will it fluctuate thoughout the RPM range?
    oil gauge is ok
    LIFE'S GOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!
    QE 072


  7. #5
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    yup...I use autometer 0-100 psi oil...the big one. 1/8 pipe tap for me.

    On my cp19 about 30-40 psi WFO keeps her hooked pretty good...

  8. #6
    Senior Member TNYoungblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    I put a autometer boost guage in mine
    Last edited by TNYoungblood; 08-24-2010 at 12:16 PM.

  9. #7
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodean's Hammer View Post
    I wanna get in on this, would an oil pressure gauge be ok to use? or is there a specific gauge that needs to be used? should the pressure be a constant # or will it fluctuate thoughout the RPM range?
    After going through 2 other gauges over 15 yrs ago, I ended up purchasing an AuotMeter Liquid filled 2 5/8" boost gauge.






    The large face is easy to read, being liquid filled it doesn't bounce around and you can read it at speeds above 100 mph by just glancing at it. It's mounted up-side down so I can easily view it at speed. ( function over style)

    Even if you don't get the Autometer get a liquid filled gauge they are far easier to read.

    S CP
    Last edited by Sleeper CP; 08-24-2010 at 08:18 AM.

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default

    im looking for and getting confused about where to put the tap hole on the suction housing some say left side some say right side,some say high some say low....argh....any theory would be helpful

  11. #9
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,074

    Default

    ^^

    Basically 3 oclock or 9 oclock is fine. It will pick-up the middle psi, later on you can go high and low to balance the two. For starters 3 or 9 o'clock will give you something to work with.

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  12. #10
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,139

    Default




    1/8" pipe, 5/32 line. You can get everything at mcmastercar.com

  13. #11
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post



    1/8" pipe, 5/32 line. You can get everything at mcmastercar.com
    Thanks for posting the pic Shaun! Worth 1000 words. Looks like you tapped @ about 10oclock and 7oclock. Is that correct?
    Is it necessary to remove the pump from the boat to drill and tap? On my deal it looks like I could do it with the pump installed as long as I'm careful not to drill in too far and hit the inducer. Might not be the easiest task, but easier than pulling the pump and resealing afterward.
    Last edited by 75 TX; 08-25-2010 at 11:01 PM.

  14. #12
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75 TX View Post
    Thanks for posting the pic Shaun! Worth 1000 words. Looks like you tapped @ about 10oclock and 7oclock. Is that correct?
    Is it necessary to remove the pump from the boat to drill and tap? On my deal it looks like I could do it with the pump installed as long as I'm careful not to drill in too far and hit the inducer. Might not be the easiest task, but easier than pulling the pump and reseasling afterward.
    Ya somthing like that, i think i was going for 1 and 5 (or 11 and 7 if you look at it the other way). When i was researching this everybody has their own spots they like to use.

    I did mine while the pump was in the boat, and i also have a inducer. What i did was pull the maint cover, stuff some shirts down in there up against the impeller to help stop any shavings. I rotated the shaft so that the inducer was at it's best position for not getting hit. Then carfully drilled, and tapped. Blew the shavings out the intake opening, removed the shirts and put back on the maint cover. Was a simple task actually.

  15. #13
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Ya somthing like that, i think i was going for 1 and 5 (or 11 and 7 if you look at it the other way). When i was researching this everybody has their own spots they like to use.

    I did mine while the pump was in the boat, and i also have a inducer. What i did was pull the maint cover, stuff some shirts down in there up against the impeller to help stop any shavings. I rotated the shaft so that the inducer was at it's best position for not getting hit. Then carfully drilled, and tapped. Blew the shavings out the intake opening, removed the shirts and put back on the maint cover. Was a simple task actually.
    Nice. Thanks for the response.
    I think I read somewhere while searching that you were do some snoot vs droop testing. Am I correct? If so, how'd it go?

  16. #14
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 75 TX View Post
    Nice. Thanks for the response.
    I think I read somewhere while searching that you were do some snoot vs droop testing. Am I correct? If so, how'd it go?
    Yes, i found the snoot killed a ton of lift when cruising and actually made my boat ride like it did before all my upgrades (wet). When standing on the gas the snoot helped keep my boat in the water alittle bit longer but eventually the boat started to lift and jump out of the water. I also tried a stock nozzle adapter and i couldnt really tell the difference between the snoot and stock nozzle adapter. In the end i cut back the center strakes and now i have the droop on it again. Still not perfect, but made a huge difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95