I figured I post some pics of this project so I can get some input from some of you guys...
I bought this boat out of Mississippi..the guy towed it out and met me in Parker...boat was not as advertised, but it's the hull I wanted, so I bought it anyway.
Here's one of the pics he sent me before I bought it. It's a SWTD bottom with a T-deck on it...looks like from the SW formula 19.
The motor was thrashed, but it was a good core block that I took .060 over and used as a foundation for the new mill since I discovered my old motor had some creative line honing work that I missed when I built it last year. Motor is a mild 10.5:1 496 solid roller motor with Dart 310 heads and a single dominator...I'm hoping for 750hp out of it, which probably won't happen but everyone can dream right?
The goal was to get it together by labor day, but I'm gonna slow down and do it right. I've got a bunch of little trick details I'd like to work on, and they won't get done if I rush it.
Here it is all cleaned up.
Not to crazy about the red stringers, but even less crazy about sanding it off...so they'll stay red. I've got some holes to plug. The previous owner/builder mounted everything right through the bottom of the boat, so most of that is coming out and the holes will be filled.
Here's the motor mounting arrangement...two 5/16 bolts holding the blocks down and one 5/16 bolt holding the plate to the block...This disturbs me a bit. At the very least, I've already drilled out the blocks to accept 3/8" bolts to the plates, but I'm not even sure I trust that. Any opinions on this?
I had the motor hanging on the cherry picker so I thought I'd throw it in just to see how much room I've got around it....I've still gotta figure out how to mount the alternator and where to put my oil cooler.
I know I'm gonna catch some crap cutting the pod down, but after having transom plates on my old boat, I absolutly hate the cast transom adapters w/ all the cables/steering going through them. I pull the bowl after every couple weekends to check stuff out and it seems that servicing is a ton easier with the plates. I've got it cut and started prep on Tuesday...also dug into a few little "stress cracks" that I saw through the paint and the glass underneith seems to disappear pretty quick, so I ground out the cracks...found a few more, and will be glassing these up as well. I'm glad I found 'em now instead of after they got lots bigger on the water. I've got to jack the boat up tonight and pull the ride plates off of it to put the pod back together correctly. I'll post some more pics tonight.