pop of for placecraft????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 43

Thread:
pop of for placecraft????

  1. #1
    Senior Member badbug3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,016

    Default pop of for placecraft????

    At what speed would the need for a pop off valve be if u already have a jet away.'

    Also is there someone making some kind of new style plate kit to seal off pump after cutting out for the popoff?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    About 500' AGL MudPumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    2,470

    Default

    Whatever boat you put that mill in will benefit from a pop off.

  4. #3
    B1 Racing cs19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,523

    Default

    In most cases the pop off will be outside the transom so there is no special cutting for a valve. So you would seal the pump just like any other job. Use the search feature on here and look at some pop off installs.

    On a PC the only reason you would have to cut the transom special for a valve is if you ran an R intake. Even if you ran an R intake you might be able to set it back another inch or so and avoid cutting the transom for a valve.

    At about 100 plus your gonna want a valve. RacerJ is up about 105 in his PC and its shutting down a little rough but nothing he cant deal with so far but he says its a little sketchy and he wants a pop off.
    Last edited by cs19; 08-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Racer J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Visalia CA
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Up to 100 mph mine is fine but like cs19 said it gets a little sketchy above that.
    A popoff for mine is on the to do list. I think Thunder Pumpkin has one on his, maybe he will post up what he thinks

  7. #5
    Senior Member Ahsumtoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    cs19, you've forgotten a few, Peterson, Whitey, and mine. Three blown alcohol pc's with only jetaway's. All three are running well over 100mph. Don't get me wrong, I think all three need to have popoffs, but they have been running for years without them.


    Edit: Well maybe not mine, it's probably got less than one hour actual run time.....
    Last edited by Ahsumtoy; 08-30-2010 at 01:01 PM.

  8. #6
    Senior Member badbug3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    this is the old "Gotta Go" blown fuel placecraft and how in the hell did they get away without running a popoff ? Its been over 150.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Ahsumtoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbug3 View Post
    this is the old "Gotta Go" blown fuel placecraft and how in the hell did they get away without running a popoff ? Its been over 150.
    Do you have pictures?

  10. #8
    Back into Boats Beal Motorsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbug3 View Post
    this is the old "Gotta Go" blown fuel placecraft and how in the hell did they get away without running a popoff ? Its been over 150.
    I ran the 8's with the capsule removed on the old TFJ Public Nuisance (Scotty Lumbert's, then Updegraf's) Placecraft Dragstar. I ran 133 at Waco and lost power and she sat down nice. This was with only a jetaway. We sold it and went funny car racing before I got the chance to put the pop-off on it.

    We're installing one on our Daytona this fall with the automatic controls.

    I agree with the 100+ statement. It only takes shutting down hairy once to pay for itself. Just remember to tune the boat to shutdown without it so you don't have to rely on it.
    Last edited by Beal Motorsports; 08-30-2010 at 08:16 AM.

  11. #9
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbug3 View Post
    this is the old "Gotta Go" blown fuel placecraft and how in the hell did they get away without running a popoff ? Its been over 150.
    Those Placecrafts have made many a fast run and safe shutdown... and then there have been a few that blew over. I can think of a few such as my old friend Jerry Wallace in the Smokin and Strokin' PlaceCraft, Bob Rogers and Gary Loague driving Underdog. I have no idea if a pop-off would have helped them as they each were "flyin' high".

    As far as a pop-off in "Gotta Go", there was not a pop-off requirement at the time the boat was running in its hay days. The pop-off may not be new technology per say, but it seems to be gaining popularity.

    I was sold on the pop-off July fourth weekend of this year when I saw a couple of Blown Alky Cheyennes make several fine passes on a course that I thought minimal where the end of the course was not protected from the wind and the shutdown was in open, rough, water. These boats made several full course passes without a bobble and then set the boats down quickly and safely. I made a pass in a respectable running Cheyenne without a pop-off and started to shut her down about three quarters course and the "glide slope" ratio of that boat carried me out into the middle of the rough water.

    After thinking about this post for awhile this evening, an old memory came to mind.... its a wonder they are still there!.... I remebered back at Waco in the Summer of '84 when several of the Place family boats came to race in Texas. One of them was the Going Places boat and the other Snap Crackle and Pop driven by Mo Churchman. Mo made a run all the way to town that day, but that is a different story. My jetboat bud and I were looking at an unusual looking contraption on top of the handhole cover that had springs, etc. on the Going Places boat, when Mike Kuhl came around the boat waving his arms like a big goose to run us "kids" away. I remember us surmising it was some kind of a pop-off valve to let the excess water out of the intake so as to not add drag to the boat while it was running down track. Now I have to think/wonder if it was an early try at a pop-off valve as we now know them. Can anyone add to this story? By the way, I think Churchman ran 155 that day. Fastest darn jets I had ever seen

    Gearhead
    Last edited by Gearhead; 08-30-2010 at 09:50 PM.

  12. #10
    Senior Member badbug3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Those Placecrafts have made many a fast run and safe shutdown... and then there have been a few that blew over. I can think of a few such as my old friend Jerry Wallace in the Smokin and Strokin' PlaceCraft, Bob Rogers and Gary Loague driving Underdog. I have no idea if a pop-off would have helped them as they each were "flyin' high".

    As far as a pop-off in "Gotta Go", there was not a pop-off requirement at the time the boat was running in its hay days. The pop-off may not be new technology per say, but it seems to be gaining popularity.

    I was sold on the pop-off July fourth weekend of this year when I saw a couple of Blown Alky Cheyennes make several fine passes on a course that I thought minimal where the end of the course was not protected from the wind and the shutdown was in open, rough, water. These boats made several full course passes without a bobble and then set the boats down quickly and safely. I made a pass in a respectable running Cheyenne without a pop-off and started to shut her down about three quarters course and the "glide slope" ratio of that boat carried me out into the middle of the rough water.

    After thinking about this post for awhile this evening, an old memory came to mind.... its a wonder they are still there!.... I remebered back at Waco in the Summer of '84 when several of the Place family boats came to race in Texas. One of them was the Going Places boat and the other Snap Crackle and Pop driven by Mo Churchman. Mo made a run all the way to town that day, but that is a different story. My jetboat bud and I were looking at an unusual looking contraption on top of the handhole cover that had springs, etc. on the Going Places boat, when Mike Kuhl came around the boat waving his arms like a big goose to run us "kids" away. I remember us surmising it was some kind of a pop-off valve to let the excess water out of the intake so as to not add drag to the boat while it was running down track. Now I have to think/wonder if it was an early try at a pop-off valve as we now know them. Can anyone add to this story? By the way, I think Churchman ran 155 that day. Fastest darn jets I had ever seen

    Gearhead
    what kind of pop off are you going to put on your new daytona?

  13. #11
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Those Placecrafts have made many a fast run and safe shutdown... and then there have been a few that blew over. I can think of a few such as my old friend Jerry Wallace in the Smokin and Strokin' PlaceCraft, Bob Rogers and Gary Loague driving Underdog. I have no idea if a pop-off would have helped them as they each were "flyin' high".

    As far as a pop-off in "Gotta Go", there was not a pop-off requirement at the time the boat was running in its hay days. The pop-off may not be new technology per say, but it seems to be gaining popularity.

    I was sold on the pop-off July fourth weekend of this year when I saw a couple of Blown Alky Cheyennes make several fine passes on a course that I thought minimal where the end of the course was not protected from the wind and the shutdown was in open, rough, water. These boats made several full course passes without a bobble and then set the boats down quickly and safely. I made a pass in a respectable running Cheyenne without a pop-off and started to shut her down about three quarters course and the "glide slope" ratio of that boat carried me out into the middle of the rough water.

    After thinking about this post for awhile this evening, an old memory came to mind.... its a wonder they are still there!.... I remebered back at Waco in the Summer of '84 when several of the Place family boats came to race in Texas. One of them was the Going Places boat and the other Snap Crackle and Pop driven by Mo Churchman. Mo made a run all the way to town that day, but that is a different story. My jetboat bud and I were looking at an unusual looking contraption on top of the handhole cover that had springs, etc. on the Going Places boat, when Mike Kuhl came around the boat waving his arms like a big goose to run us "kids" away. I remember us surmising it was some kind of a pop-off valve to let the excess water out of the intake so as to not add drag to the boat while it was running down track. Now I have to think/wonder if it was an early try at a pop-off valve as we now know them. Can anyone add to this story? By the way, I think Churchman ran 155 that day. Fastest darn jets I had ever seen

    Gearhead
    that was an early variation of a pop off built by Wilder.

  14. #12
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbug3 View Post
    what kind of pop off are you going to put on your new daytona?
    I personally don't have much experience with them and the features of each unit. I did bore the intake housing for Rick Moore when he upgraded from an older style pop-off to a Thurlow. It works real nice.

    I am working with Shoemaker on some of my hardware and he is reccomending a Mills. I think they are both supposed to be good units.

  15. #13
    Back into Boats Beal Motorsports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Side note.....Can any machine shop machine the lip for a pop-off (like a Mills)? Or do I need a pump shop to do it? I'm not wanting to ship my pump housing if I don't have to.

  16. #14
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beal Motorsports View Post
    Side note.....Can any machine shop machine the lip for a pop-off (like a Mills)? Or do I need a pump shop to do it? I'm not wanting to ship my pump housing if I don't have to.
    In my humble opinion, any decent machine shop should be able to bore the housing. On the one I did for Rick, I just setup on the handhole top and throat and bored the housing on a Bridgeport using a boring tool.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95