Transom Cover Question?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
Transom Cover Question?

  1. #1
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Question Transom Cover Question?

    Could I make one of those flat plate transom covers that I see on a lot of the boats here, for my boat? It would make bowl and impeller work a lot easier down the road. Just to clarify, this is not a question of whether or not I can make one, because that wouldn't be a problem, and it would be free for me, this is about whether or not it would work. I don't think a flat plate would be very practical because it is not set back as far as a lot of the ones on here (well it's not set back at all). But, what if I come out to where the plate goes right behind the water inlet (right about where that scratch is in the paint) and the hand hole cover would still be inside the boat. Basically, I would be making a regular looking transom, but with much shorter sides and a pump shaped hole instead of a round hole and it would be a 2 piece cover. Just a thought as I was looking at this picture I took tonight. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

    Here's the picture that inspired all this. Thank you.

    Last edited by HawaiianJet; 04-18-2008 at 10:24 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Yes, you can. Lot of work though and not really worth it IMO unless you do the setback first.

    Really though, if your transom is flat(check with a straight edge) Keep the stock transom adapter, you dont need any silicone on the gaskets(use some grease instead), that way removal of the transom adapter is easy.

  4. #3
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendellajet View Post
    Yes, you can. Lot of work though and not really worth it IMO unless you do the setback first.

    Really though, if your transom is flat(check with a straight edge) Keep the stock transom adapter, you dont need any silicone on the gaskets(use some grease instead), that way removal of the transom adapter is easy.
    I didn't use silicone on the gasket. I put silicone all the way around after the transom was bolted in. Grease? How would that work? Thanks.

    It might be worth it if my impeller gets a big ding in it because then I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the water seal on the boat. Or if I want to change my bowl out to a slit bowl, which I really want to do, but can't do it right now. All I would have in it is a bunch of time, unfortunately the only time that I have a bunch of spare time is in the summertime, when the boat is supposed to be in the water all the time. Damn! I want to get paid to work on my boat!

    Thank you.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    I didn't use silicone on the gasket. I put silicone all the way around after the transom was bolted in. Grease? How would that work? Thanks.

    It might be worth it if my impeller gets a big ding in it because then I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the water seal on the boat. Or if I want to change my bowl out to a slit bowl, which I really want to do, but can't do it right now. All I would have in it is a bunch of time, unfortunately the only time that I have a bunch of spare time is in the summertime, when the boat is supposed to be in the water all the time. Damn! I want to get paid to work on my boat!

    Thank you.
    If your transom is straight & the adapter fits flush you dont need any silicone. Use some marine wheel bearing grease instead. Dont know why it works, it just does. Or if you want to go to the work to make a set of proper fitting plates, have at it.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    586

    Default

    Check out Squirtchas build his came out great.

  8. #6
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldelmn8tr View Post
    Check out Squirtchas build his came out great.
    I just came from there. It looks great. His boat is really coming along. Thanks.

  9. #7
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldelmn8tr View Post
    Check out Squirtchas build his came out great.
    Hmmmm I hope so
    Lets go Dan we need some pics!
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  10. #8
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    Hmmmm I hope so
    Lets go Dan we need some pics!
    How about you Hammer? You got any pics to show?

  11. #9
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    Hmmmm I hope so
    Lets go Dan we need some pics!
    Shot you an email with the latest pics Ray. Are we on email strike today?

    Also been updating the progress post regarding the new2me gullwing.

    Progress report


  12. #10
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    How about you Hammer? You got any pics to show?
    I did my setback and made the TA few years back.
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  13. #11
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtcha? View Post
    Shot you an email with the latest pics Ray. Are we on email strike today?
    Looks good Dan...for some reason there were errors on the pics you sent/emailed.
    But yea, I like how yours turned out.
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95