I figured I'd start a ongoing thread for updates on the Jet Boat that my Dad and I are doing. The boat is a 1973 16' Tahiti. The boat originally had a 455 olds big block in it a Berkeley 12JC jet pump. The boat came with new seats and gauges. After we got the boat we noticed that the floor had been "replaced" but they had added some aluminum framing underneath. We pulled the "flooring" up and found that the original floor was rotted out. So, I cut the old floor out and replaced it. First time doing fiberglass work and it wasn't too back. I'll get some pictures of that soon.
I believe we are going to do a wrap on the boat. That or I may look into doing the boat satin white. Whoever had the boat before us had "joined" the top and bottom pieces together. I think we will end up having to add the rub rail back onto the boat. Mainly because we need the protection from docks and I'm not sure how well they we "glued" together.
Here is the donor car. It was had to see this car trashed, but her heart will go to a good cause.
Then we needed a way to bolt the driveshaft to the flywheel. We had to enlist a machine shop to make us a PTO (Power Take-Off). He needed the flywheel and the jet boats driveshaft. After about a month this is what we got.
This "was" a stock FWD flywheel. I believe about 8lbs was shaved off the flywheel. The center piece bolts to the flywheel with the new flywheels bolts.
Flywheel and driveshaft
And them somewhat bolted together.
This weekend I believe we will be trying to mock up the engine and motor mounts and see if we can get the motor mounted to the boat.
The build on the motor will be close to what my Talon has. I'm looking at pushing around 700 housepower at the crank. Not sure on what turbo we will go with yet. Looking into going with a Holset or Borg Warner. The boat will be running ECMLink. We've pulled the whole engine wiring harness out of the donor car as well as whatever else we thought me might need.