Jets and weeds
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread:
Jets and weeds

  1. #1
    I never hit bottom. 79Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    193

    Default Jets and weeds

    I was down at a local mall awhile ago and it was the same time they had a boat show in the mall itself.

    I was looking over the boats they had for sale and walked by the seadoo type jetboats. The salesmen was talking to some guy about this and that, and I mumbled under my breath, "Good luck running that in our lake with the weeds"

    The salesmen responded to my comment by saying, " No, thats not a problem. Look at this. Here is a lever to pull in the event you clog the pump." He showed me how it works. Its like a stock intake grate and another set of fins coming down through the grate pushing the weeds out.

    Is there something like this possible for our style jets?

    Even with a setback pump, it still means leaning over the back and digging around in the pump. But on my Challenger, it means I'm going swimming to clean it out only for it to clog up again in about 30 minutes.

    I know all you guys out west don't have this problem, but on the east coast, its a nightmare! Everyone I talked to about it said f*ck the jet, get a *-drive..


    I don't want to though!

    Any thoughts?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Talking

    Why would a V-Drive be better in the weeds? Props are terrible in weeds! They get wrapped all around the shaft and propeller. And can make it run poorly. No boat is good in the weeds.
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  4. #3
    I never hit bottom. 79Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Why would a V-Drive be better in the weeds? Props are terrible in weeds! They get wrapped all around the shaft and propeller. And can make it run poorly. No boat is good in the weeds.
    The weeds here aren't swamp like. Just under the surface, there thick. All the wackers and I/O's chew them up and then they float on the surface waiting for me to come by and suck them up.

    There not a problem out in the main lake during the day when I'm hammering on it. I just suck them up and blow them out as puree.. The real problem is at night when the whole lake is a no wake zone and i'm stuck, sitting there with 2 miles to go, just sucking in those weeds.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 79Challenger View Post
    The weeds here aren't swamp like. Just under the surface, there thick. All the wackers and I/O's chew them up and then they float on the surface waiting for me to come by and suck them up.

    There not a problem out in the main lake during the day when I'm hammering on it. I just suck them up and blow them out as puree.. The real problem is at night when the whole lake is a no wake zone and i'm stuck, sitting there with 2 miles to go, just sucking in those weeds.
    Damn, the whole lake turns into a no wake zone! That would drive me crazy. I'd be finding another place to boat if I was in that situation. Where exactly are you in the east?
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  7. #5
    I never hit bottom. 79Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    Damn, the whole lake turns into a no wake zone! That would drive me crazy. I'd be finding another place to boat if I was in that situation. Where exactly are you in the east?
    Only after sundown and before sunrise. Other than that, the speed limit it 30 mph on the weekends..Only during Memorial Day and Labor Day. During the weekdays, its no speed limit.... Unlimited....

    We acually have a real jet boat on our lake. Its like a off shore boat of sorts, But has a stainless steel exhuast out the back like 24" in diameter. Pretty wild to see it run.

  8. #6
    jetboataholic HawaiianJet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    2,798

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by 79Challenger View Post
    Only after sundown and before sunrise. Other than that, the speed limit it 30 mph on the weekends..Only during Memorial Day and Labor Day. During the weekdays, its no speed limit.... Unlimited....

    We acually have a real jet boat on our lake. Its like a off shore boat of sorts, But has a stainless steel exhuast out the back like 24" in diameter. Pretty wild to see it run.
    You got any pics of that thing. Sounds pretty radical. What does it run?
    HJ

    ***FOR SALE*** 1978 19' Full Stringer Hawaiian Molokai Jet Boat w/ Berkeley 12JC-AB and Chevy 440 Tall Deck ***FOR SALE***

    Quote Originally Posted by mako shark mark View Post
    Oh yeah, Forgot to mention that the hull is a special mixture of speedcote, herculiner and rain-x, all blended together- good for another 8 mph top end.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Mojave85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    628

    Default

    They make a grate rake that you can clean out your intake with from inside the boat. Most of the river boaters in this area keep one on board.

  10. #8
    I never hit bottom. 79Challenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    You got any pics of that thing. Sounds pretty radical. What does it run?
    Nah, I don't have any videos of it running. I only seen it once myself. Wish I knew more, because it sounds awesome across the water.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave85
    They make a grate rake that you can clean out your intake with from inside the boat. Most of the river boaters in this area keep one on board.
    Do they work well with loader grates? If so, where online can I get one?

  11. #9
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    I saw photos of a Canadian river runner that had a similar self-cleaning setup deal on it. If I remember correctly it could be operated from the driver's seat via a foot pedal (or hand lever). When I first saw the photos I thought it was dome kind of adjust on the fly rideplate deal.

  12. #10
    Junior Member Brad22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianJet View Post
    You got any pics of that thing. Sounds pretty radical. What does it run?
    You guys talking about this jet boat?? http://www.gas-turbines.com/squirt_2.htm

  13. #11
    One part at a time... JohnnyNitrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Try these guys out...

    http://www.stompgrate.com/Stomp_Grates.htm

    I'm not sure if they make one for a berk style. Give them a call and see. Also there is a company called scott jet that also has a similar product.

  14. #12
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    Yeah, that's the piece. Stomp grate. I believe the photos I saw were of a Berk pump with one.

    Can't be sure though, it was probably a year ago (or better).

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95