converting to e85?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
converting to e85?

  1. #1
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    511

    Default converting to e85?

    what needs to be done to convert over? i have a 4010 carb. and cant find 85 kits for it. So what can i change with out a kit.
    And the new project begins!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Wow, I don't know of any kits to use for that carb being that it is its own animal. You might do just about as well in getting something like a 4150 or 4160 with comparable CFM rating and have someone convert it or get a conversion kit from a reputable source. That way you wont need to screw up a carb that is working well for you and you can have an E85 carb. That way if you take the boat somewhere that does not have E85 you can just put the gas carb on and run.

    Paul

  4. #3
    Senior Member sleekcraft137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star, ID
    Posts
    511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    Wow, I don't know of any kits to use for that carb being that it is its own animal. You might do just about as well in getting something like a 4150 or 4160 with comparable CFM rating and have someone convert it or get a conversion kit from a reputable source. That way you wont need to screw up a carb that is working well for you and you can have an E85 carb. That way if you take the boat somewhere that does not have E85 you can just put the gas carb on and run.

    Paul
    good point
    And the new project begins!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Blown, OHBA Member Wild Hair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Okmulgee Okla.
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleekcraft137 View Post
    what needs to be done to convert over? i have a 4010 carb. and cant find 85 kits for it. So what can i change with out a kit.
    I bought my carbs from Chris he answered all my questions. And has on hell of deal if you dont like the change over. here's his link

    services.. what we do..e85 carbs for sale, e85 conversion prices
    OHBA GROWTH THROUGH PARTICIPATION
    Built Cheyenne Tuff, With Chevy Stuff.
    well the block is GM any ways


    GOD BLESS AMERICA AND KEEP HER SAFE

    LOCK N LOAD AMERICA, OUR 2nd AMENDMENT
    IS UNDER FIRE


  7. #5
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Hair View Post
    I bought my carbs from Chris he answered all my questions. And has on hell of deal if you dont like the change over. here's his link

    services.. what we do..e85 carbs for sale, e85 conversion prices
    I have heard some good things about the stuff Chris does. I have been using stuff from Justus and Heath Danial at raceonE85.com and have been very happy with it. I got one kit from them and had them convert the other (which they tested to make sure it was spot on before they sent). There are a number of companies that are good at it. Before you decide on one (especially based totally off price) ask around and find out who would be best for you. There are lots of hidden costs with this conversion that can upset someone that is new to this (as I was).

    Paul

  8. #6
    No Sandbar To Far sanger rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Default

    + one for Chris at Classicmotorsports. He converted my Dominators to E85. They were the first set he did for a blown boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Year View Post
    The only blab's I will even be a part of is just when it is me they are talking about. Aaaah yes I can see a few good looking shiny tall deck motors on the beach, with barely enough fuel to get back to the launch saying, "Holy crap how fast you think that Daytona was going man? That's like the 20th time he's gone by today?"

  9. #7
    Blown, OHBA Member Wild Hair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Okmulgee Okla.
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    I have heard some good things about the stuff Chris does. I have been using stuff from Justus and Heath Danial at raceonE85.com and have been very happy with it. I got one kit from them and had them convert the other (which they tested to make sure it was spot on before they sent). There are a number of companies that are good at it. Before you decide on one (especially based totally off price) ask around and find out who would be best for you. There are lots of hidden costs with this conversion that can upset someone that is new to this (as I was).

    Paul
    You got that right. I spent $1400 on two new proform race series 750 carbs and now I am adding another $800 in alcohol friendly fuel pump, filter and regulator. I figure if I don't get what i want out of E85 I'll just convert them to methonol and be happy. no mater how you look at it its better than race fuel at 7 plus a gallon to feed a 12 to one motor. On the other hand I would not change for a 10 to 1 or less motor, not worth the cost for the change.
    OHBA GROWTH THROUGH PARTICIPATION
    Built Cheyenne Tuff, With Chevy Stuff.
    well the block is GM any ways


    GOD BLESS AMERICA AND KEEP HER SAFE

    LOCK N LOAD AMERICA, OUR 2nd AMENDMENT
    IS UNDER FIRE


  10. #8
    No Sandbar To Far sanger rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Hair View Post
    You got that right. I spent $1400 on two new proform race series 750 carbs and now I am adding another $800 in alcohol friendly fuel pump, filter and regulator. I figure if I don't get what i want out of E85 I'll just convert them to methonol and be happy. no mater how you look at it its better than race fuel at 7 plus a gallon to feed a 12 to one motor. On the other hand I would not change for a 10 to 1 or less motor, not worth the cost for the change.
    You could have used a $130 Clay Smith pump
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Year View Post
    The only blab's I will even be a part of is just when it is me they are talking about. Aaaah yes I can see a few good looking shiny tall deck motors on the beach, with barely enough fuel to get back to the launch saying, "Holy crap how fast you think that Daytona was going man? That's like the 20th time he's gone by today?"

  11. #9
    Senior Member GA Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanger rat View Post
    You could have used a $130 Clay Smith pump
    love your sig dude! Sorry for the off topic post!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95