In my 20s and figured that while I don't have a wife sapping up all my cash () it would be a good time to get a jet boat. I think I'm gonna call it "why not?"
It's a 73 Sleekcraft Rebel with a 69 Olds 455 and a Berkeley jet. In need of serious TLC. Not looking to set any speed records, just a fun project and something fun for the summer.
Been around boats but never owned one and haven't spent any time around jet drives except the few beers I had while checking out my boat the other night. So sorry in advance for the stupid questions that are bound to come.
I have been reading posts here and you guys know everything so thought I'd join the club. Appreciate any advice or insight you guys can offer.
A few questions below, but first a few pics...
All gauges broken, only oil pressure seems to be sending...
If you look closely, you can see brown flames that were clearly painted by hand with what seems to be latex paint, then rolled over with same paint because the flames looked so bad. Awesome.
There she is... beauty eh? haha
So, a few questions...
The jet is missing the place diverter as well as the linkage to it. Looks like they have a bilge going where the linkage was supposed to go.
The headers are performance marine. I've seen some Bassett stuff around and they seem to be the way to go but I'm not looking to spend more than I paid for my boat in headers unless you all say it's a must. Guessing I can find some used. Also, I live at Lake Tahoe. They are crazy restrictive up here and although this boat is awesomely loud, I'm considering putting some baffles or something on it so they don't hassle me all the time. I'd like to take the boat out once or twice when it's nice and flat here in Tahoe.
- Any recommendations for a diverter? Can I fab one? I'm not sure what model the Berkely Jet is, but the nozzle has L4405 on it.
Also a few smaller things:
- Should I do thru-transom or leave the pipes up? Any recommendations for a good way to go with decent performance/sound/price?
Thanks for your help. Looking forward to this project, gonna be an awesome summer.
- Recommendations for gauges?
- Looking to build a cover for the motor so my idiot friends don't burn/mame/kill themselves. Can I buy one? If not, no biggie.
- Planning to use fiberglass-safe stripper unless someone here says different.
- Anything else I should know about these boats that they are notorious for (i.e. these hulls rip in half at 65mph, etc. ha)?