is this right???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
is this right???

  1. #1
    odfirefighter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default is this right???

    turning 5000 rpm, A impeller, 12jg pump. smooth water, 56MPH GPS!! 18ft sanger super jet, no droop or place diverter. is this right?? or is that about par for the course?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Sounds about right


    Sent from my iPhone
    #55

  4. #3
    odfirefighter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default

    so what do you guys think would give me the most bang for the buck, a loader a droop or a diverter?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    odfirefighter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default

    would be totaly satisfied with 65 out of this boat, whats the easiest way to get there?

  7. #5
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odfirefighter View Post
    so what do you guys think would give me the most bang for the buck, a loader a droop or a diverter?
    Quote Originally Posted by odfirefighter View Post
    would be totaly satisfied with 65 out of this boat, whats the easiest way to get there?
    All three might get you to 65. If you're at 56 now I seriously doubt any of those items will get you 9mph by itself.
    If you just wanna go incrementally I'd start with the diverter. It'll definetly help.

  8. #6
    Senior Member CP598's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    262

    Default

    5000 RPM on a "A" impeller I would think would be more than 56 MPH. My 19 Gullwing ran 80 MPH at 5000 RPM on a "A" impeller, 62 MPH at 4000 RPM. I know you have a different hull but....

  9. #7
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odfirefighter View Post
    turning 5000 rpm, A impeller, 12jg pump. smooth water, 56MPH GPS!! 18ft sanger super jet, no droop or place diverter. is this right?? or is that about par for the course?
    What you didn't include in the equasion is the HP or and estimate of HP or a description of the engine (important when comparing RPMS vs speed vs performance) and also what condition you suspect the jet is currently in. 56 is a little sleepy, would expect a bit more ,not sure the Sanger SJ would like a (mine didn't) droop but a Place diverter will definatley be benificial Tom

  10. #8
    odfirefighter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default

    well motor is 460 .30 over forged srp flat tops, mild port job on a set of d3ve heads, weand stealth intake and a 750 holley, lunati 61602 cam (bout .550 lift) operating range is like 1400-5500 or something like that. just finished building motor, only about 4 hours on it right now. it seems to be running very strong. from very simular setups i have seen and read about im thinking on the 400hp range. it feels very good out of the hole, just seems like it tapers off very quick on top but the motor will still pull a little more rpm with no noticible increase in mph, so i was thinking maybe it was cavatating or something like that, im new to the jet world and dont know alot about this stuff.as far as the condition of the jet i dont know for sure, i got the boat last year and the guy that i got it from said the jet was rebuilt about 2 years ago, not sure i trust that cuz he also said the motor was rebuild and already bored .30 over and it was stock bore and all original internals and bearing. thanks alot for yalls help and input.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Avondale,AZ.
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Borrow or buy an MSD tach checker first. If that is correct, you have either a pump issue (wear or improper rebuild) or a small ("B") impeller. When the pump was rebuilt is irrelevent, we had a customer destroy his fresh pump in about 4 outings by launching from the beach, and revving the engine to warm it up, in about 3 feet of water. The sand wore out the wear ring and the impeller was worn so bad that it couldn't be turned for an undersized wearring. With a new boat purchase, assume nothing, and believe less. TIMINATOR
    MODESTY IS A CRUTCH FOR THE INCOMPETENT!

  12. #10
    odfirefighter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default

    thanks for the input, so where do you guys think i shud start? impeller/wear ring rebuild? or try a place diverter and loader and see if that helps out? i realy want a diverter either way but i just want this boat running where it should be, just dont know where to start.

  13. #11
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odfirefighter View Post
    well motor is 460 .30 over forged srp flat tops, mild port job on a set of d3ve heads, weand stealth intake and a 750 holley, lunati 61602 cam (bout .550 lift) operating range is like 1400-5500 or something like that. just finished building motor, only about 4 hours on it right now. it seems to be running very strong. from very simular setups i have seen and read about im thinking on the 400hp range. it feels very good out of the hole, just seems like it tapers off very quick on top but the motor will still pull a little more rpm with no noticible increase in mph, so i was thinking maybe it was cavatating or something like that, im new to the jet world and dont know alot about this stuff.as far as the condition of the jet i dont know for sure, i got the boat last year and the guy that i got it from said the jet was rebuilt about 2 years ago, not sure i trust that cuz he also said the motor was rebuild and already bored .30 over and it was stock bore and all original internals and bearing. thanks alot for yalls help and input.
    All your numbers look about right but you likley have some more MPH how "wet" does the boat run at speed , if you were to observe from shore where would you say the hull breaks water at WOT eg at the front of the engine , even with the seats ? etc

  14. #12
    odfirefighter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    34

    Default

    i have been trying to get some picks or video of the boat on the water from the shore. from what i can tell the boat breaks water about midway between the front seats and the motor. but i honestly havent paid that much attention to it. but im pretty sure thats about where it it is. im am taking an 8 day lake trip starting the 30th of this month so im gonna try and get some good picks and video of where its riding.

  15. #13
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odfirefighter View Post
    i have been trying to get some picks or video of the boat on the water from the shore. from what i can tell the boat breaks water about midway between the front seats and the motor. but i honestly havent paid that much attention to it. but im pretty sure thats about where it it is. im am taking an 8 day lake trip starting the 30th of this month so im gonna try and get some good picks and video of where its riding.
    Roll under the boat with a camera and take a pic of the jet intake (loader grate if equipt) area also if equipt where the ride plate is set (up or down) versus keel maybe post them up Tom

  16. #14
    NorCal HotBoats Chili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chico / Paradise
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Roll under the boat with a camera and take a pic of the jet intake (loader grate if equipt) area also if equipt where the ride plate is set (up or down) versus keel maybe post them up Tom
    But not at the same time you're trying to see where it breaks water. lol
    74 Belmont - 455 - Berkeley

    Facebook - NorCal - Local Chapter of American Hot Boats

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95