I thought the racers on this forum might like to follow my progress with an LS engine in a Comp Jet. I did a proof of concept installation with a 5.7l LS1 in a Baker Tunnel jet. This worked out so well that I decided to get a little more serious. I bought Lance Nicholl's Liberty Comp Jet boat (CJ 426) minus engine, and built an iron block LS engine for it. At only 436 cid the engine is a little small for this class (515 cid limit) but seems to be doing a pretty good job.
My first time out at Puddingstone showed some promising results, but also some teething problems with maintaining enough voltage to run the computer and fuel delivery system. I shredded two alternator belts and the boat would not sustain enough battery power to run all the electronics and pumps. I was only able to run some test sessions and two heats on Saturday.
Before Parker I reworked my alternator belt drive system to make it more reliable. At the Parker race last week end the boat ran every heat with the only issues being a small front oil seal leak and my alternator circuit breaker kept popping depriving me of alternator power again. This required me to recharge the battery before each heat. For the last race on Sunday I bypassed the circuit breaker and was able to run the full race with no electrical issues.
In the process of learning how to drive the new boat I found that as I pushed the boat closer to the limits I learned how to spin the boat... Too much plate and too much throttle in the turn will spin the boat every time... I will have to back off the aggressiveness in the turns. Also, I have made some changes to the plate and nozzle angle that should improve the situation making the boat less sensitive to throttle and plate inputs. I am also considering a V-drive rudder system for more predictable steering control.
So, back to the engine. Here are a few specific's: 436 cid LS truck block, hydraulic lifters, 91 oct. pump gas augmented with octane booster (up to 95 oct.). Scat crank and rods, Wiseco pistons and GM LS7 heads. GM Carb.intake manifold with a four hole throttle body and GM efi fuel injection system. Bassett racing headers from a 351 Cleveland modified with LS header flanges.
With a little help from my Comp Jet friends I was able to make a 3rd place over all finish in an 8 boat field... I'm pretty happy with that and looking forward to the next race at Burley.