1988 18 ft. ULTRA
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
1988 18 ft. ULTRA

  1. #1
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default 1988 18 ft. ULTRA

    Hey everyone, i'm a newbie on here. I just bought a '88 19ft. Ultra for me and the old lady to get back out to the river with. It's got a 468 BBC and a Berkeley 12JC pump. I was going for a 21-22 ft. open bow, but just couldn't afford one and wanted to pay cash.

    I know that John West Is no longer a part of Ultra boats and I was reading that he didn't actually start Ultra boats. He started as a dealer for them in the early 90's and then bought them out.

    My question is does anyone know who started Ultra and have any info on there hulls back then? Are they a good lay up? Do they perform fairly well? it seems like most of the Ultras you see are from the 90's on so to see a hull from '88 is unusual. If anyone has any info on where the company started and more it would be appreciated! Thanks!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smupser View Post
    Hey everyone, i'm a newbie on here. I just bought a '88 19ft. Ultra for me and the old lady to get back out to the river with. It's got a 468 BBC and a Berkeley 12JC pump. I was going for a 21-22 ft. open bow, but just couldn't afford one and wanted to pay cash.

    I know that John West Is no longer a part of Ultra boats and I was reading that he didn't actually start Ultra boats. He started as a dealer for them in the early 90's and then bought them out.

    My question is does anyone know who started Ultra and have any info on there hulls back then? Are they a good lay up? Do they perform fairly well? it seems like most of the Ultras you see are from the 90's on so to see a hull from '88 is unusual. If anyone has any info on where the company started and more it would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Ultra is a Bahner and they were a great boat.Have fun,good luck.

  4. #3
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Really??? I hear some good things about Bahners so I guess that's good Thanks for the info!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smupser View Post
    Really??? I hear some good things about Bahners so I guess that's good Thanks for the info!

    You did just fine.

  7. #5
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    So I did some more research on here and other online forums and I found out alot more. I may not be entirely accurate and anyone is welcome to correct me. But I guess when Rod Bahner went to prison he allowed Jerry van Beek to use his molds to build boats and make some money. Van Beek then turned around and screwed Bahner and started Ultra utilizing Bahners molds. From there apparently Van Beek has made a name for himself by not being exactly an honest man(Which by the way i'm not on here to badmouth or create drama about people I dont know personally. I understand that Van Beek took alot of customers money and didn't make good on it. I just simply wanted to know the history of my boat) ,and eventually selling the company to John west. Thanks again for the starting point

  8. #6
    TRG
    TRG is offline
    Senior Member TRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,717

    Default

    you know more about the history of your boat that most any of us do about ours! lol not bad!
    What is your plan with your boat, River cruising? river racing? racing? if its the one in your avatar, looks clean! got any larger pics?

  9. #7
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Thanks TRG! It's a pretty clean hull, i'm in the process of redoing the upholstery. It was in ok shape but I just want to make it like new I would love to dump a ton of money into my pump. I have a place diverter for it but no controls so thats definitely in the plans. Eventually all the works, split bowl, droop snoot, intake w/ ride plate,ect ect. The big one would be to set my pump back as far as possible not only for the performance gain but I think I will get alot more rear interior space as well. But I think thats Big bucks to have that done.

    My plan is to have a clean river cruiser with a good compromise between performance, fuel economy, and reliability. Right now its got dual hollys on top of a offenhauser tunnel ram but with log style exhaust. It doesnt make much sense to me to have a that style of induction setup with a restrictive exhaust setup as i would think that the logs dont flow very well(anyone please correct me if i'm wrong) So i'm contemplating swapping it out for a single carb on a open plane manifold. Don't get me wrong it looks bad ass with that setup and a big scoop, but im a fan of simplicity. Ill post some better pics when I get a chance!

  10. #8
    Senior Member GA Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    246

    Default

    post up some pics

  11. #9
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    work in progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110428_154614.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	114184   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110428_154914.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	114185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110428_154956.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	114186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20110428_155047.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	114187  

  12. #10
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    I know this is an old thread, but that is a goodlooking boat. The colors look to be the same as My Advantage. Looks like it has a fade gellcoat, like Mine. Do You have any Pics of the whole boat?
    Looking at Your transom adapter, looks like your pump is in a half setback location. Is you hand hole half and half? Good looking boat, would like to see more of it.....Hal

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  13. #11
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Thanks Hal, Yea between the rogers bottom and color scheme, it looks a lot like your Advantage. That's why I like your boat so much. The colors and gel coat design are a great combo and it does fade towards the back corners.

    The hand hole on the pump is approximately half in half out, like yours. I've seen a lot of the 18-19ft. advantages,closed bow and open, and they all seem to have minimal room between the front of the engine and back of the front seats. Smaller than the average size cocktail seats or bench. My boat is exactly the same way which is a big part of why I want to do the full pump setback. And of course, for the potential performance gains(or headaches lol)as well.

    I don't really have any good pictures of the whole boat Hal but if there is something specific you want a picture of, PM me and Ill do it. I wish I had more progress to post but unfortunately, other things have taken priority for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to update progress in the future.

  14. #12
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Great looking boat. BTW, Those logs are pretty desirable. They are the ones with water through the flange. The turbo guys like them. I bet they flow better than you think.

  15. #13
    Senior Member SBS933's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Socialist Republic of California / Parker Az.
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holorinhal View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but that is a goodlooking boat. The colors look to be the same as My Advantage. Looks like it has a fade gellcoat, like Mine. Do You have any Pics of the whole boat?
    Looking at Your transom adapter, looks like your pump is in a half setback location. Is you hand hole half and half? Good looking boat, would like to see more of it.....Hal
    I was thinking the same thing, it looks just like my Advantage Open Bow. I've noticed some carrera's that resemble mine too.

  16. #14
    Member smupser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Mohican View Post
    Great looking boat. BTW, Those logs are pretty desirable. They are the ones with water through the flange. The turbo guys like them. I bet they flow better than you think.
    I ended up selling them and going with a marine power center rise setup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95