The Poncho breaths again
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
The Poncho breaths again

  1. #1
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default The Poncho breaths again



    Still need to do the water lines and install the transom plugs but other than that it's about buttoned up.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    This is following the block repair? Congrats on getting her going again.

  4. #3
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    The block repair became a rebuild. After I stitched up the water jacked I found the main webs were busted. These were totally unrelated issues. Turns out the casting I had is known for weak main webs. Fortunately I found the cracked main webs when I was fixing a leaky oil pan and not by windowed the block. The rotating assembly was OK.




  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member neverenuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Sounds great!

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Mohican View Post
    The block repair became a rebuild. After I stitched up the water jacked I found the main webs were busted. These were totally unrelated issues. Turns out the casting I had is known for weak main webs. Fortunately I found the cracked main webs when I was fixing a leaky oil pan and not by windowed the block. The rotating assembly was OK.



    Wait, you REPAIRED this?? Holy f'n peaches... It must be extremely difficult to sit down or walk with the size of the pair you got! j/k

    Sounds great, nice work. Its good to see something different than the same old BBC once in a while.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    You found a new block, right? Hopefully one that is not prone to cracking?
    "He is a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter, so dont get any ideas."

  9. #7
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slim pickens View Post
    Wait, you REPAIRED this?? Holy f'n peaches... It must be extremely difficult to sit down or walk with the size of the pair you got! j/k

    Sounds great, nice work. Its good to see something different than the same old BBC once in a while.
    No. LOL. I didn't fix the busted mains. I fixed a crack in the water jacket THEN I found the busted mains so I got a new block. Here is a link to the water jacket repair. See posts #13 & #14. Thanks for the compliment on the unique power plant.

    http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...-n-stitch.html

  10. #8
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendellajet View Post
    You found a new block, right? Hopefully one that is not prone to cracking?
    Exactly. I found an earlier 67 year model block. It is the casting number that most Pontiac experts agree is as good as a Pontiac 400 block gets without going after market. Just for the sake of getting the info out, the castings ending in 557 are the ones with the weaker main webs. With the early block sitting next to my 557 block it is obvious to the naked eye that the ***557 blocks have less material in the main webs. The 557 blocks were produced starting ~1975.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95