texas tunnel bottom/sponson problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 15

Thread:
texas tunnel bottom/sponson problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default texas tunnel bottom/sponson problem

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel  night 012.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	116614so i bought a tt and have read that they have some type of problem with the sponsons or bottClick image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel  night 005.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	116612om....could anyone elaborate? i did a search but wasnt very successful with finding out exactly what the problem is ....anyway thanks in advance mikeyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel 216.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	116613

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member slow67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewtx19 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel  night 012.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	116614so i bought a tt and have read that they have some type of problem with the sponsons or bottClick image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel  night 005.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	116612om....could anyone elaborate? i did a search but wasnt very successful with finding out exactly what the problem is ....anyway thanks in advance mikeyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel 216.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	116613
    From what I understand, they are just too short (like comparing to a short wheelbase car) and the result is that they are more likely to throw you on shutdown.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Filucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    854

    Default

    They need alot of work on the bottom to straighten them out and the biggest problem is the sponsons are too low in the front so when you shutdown hard one of the sponsons (mine was always the right side) will grab real hard and can throw ya out of the boat. Their to boats what a '23 T-bucket is to cars, a little power goes along way but you better be on your A game.
    Nice!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    look at some of the boats that race, i have seen a bunch of them with steps in the sponsons. they are fast but will get you wet, if your not careful.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Lildave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bauxite, AR
    Posts
    462

    Default

    That doesn't look like a Texas Tunnel to me. Looks like a Mantra. I have one, but my deck is different. They offered two different tops. A smooth, and a stepped. Mine is stepped.

    What is your HIN? Does is start with MBE?

  8. #6
    Impeachment! 75 TX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Culver City, Ca
    Posts
    3,728

    Default

    I was told (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that a lot of the negative aspects of the bottom/sponsons have to do with how shallow the keel is in relation to the sponsons. Seems perfectly logical when looking at your front-view picture. On a hard shutdown one sponson or the other will almost certainly re-enter the water first, and before the keel re-enters.
    I've also heard that tunnels like my Crusader are pretty safe, even during a hard shutdown because the keel is deeper than the sponsons and therefore will hit the water first and most likely keep the boat going straight.

  9. #7
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    earl smith tunnel

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewtx19 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	texas tunnel 216.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	116613
    Quote Originally Posted by 75 TX View Post
    I was told (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that a lot of the negative aspects of the bottom/sponsons have to do with how shallow the keel is in relation to the sponsons. Seems perfectly logical when looking at your front-view picture. On a hard shutdown one sponson or the other will almost certainly re-enter the water first, and before the keel re-enters.
    good pic, and it's worth a thousand words. there's nothing under that bow, to hold the nose up if power is lost, or if a person just gets out of the throttle too hard. the boat rotates, tail rises, bow comes down to the waters edge. those sponsons are so thin and tiny up front, they are completely inneffectual in holding the boat up. so those little front sponsons both go all the way down in the water turning into "fins", and one of 'em always manages to grab the water a little harder then the other one, and it hooks in a heartbeat. i know a guy that got tossed going 45mph in a cp. they just do not react well if you get out of the throttle too hard.
    the sponson's added to the cp's definately help hold the nose up, as they're much fatter, and have proven to work (re: bandy losing power in the lights last year), and hold the nose up. but even with 'em, the driver still has to be careful and pay attention, because in a turn, they can still catch an edge and hook (re: bandy at sitc in '09).

    just don't lose power, and back out of the throttle very slowly.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Lildave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bauxite, AR
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    earl smith tunnel





    good pic, and it's worth a thousand words. there's nothing under that bow, to hold the nose up if power is lost, or if a person just gets out of the throttle too hard. the boat rotates, tail rises, bow comes down to the waters edge. those sponsons are so thin and tiny up front, they are completely inneffectual in holding the boat up. so those little front sponsons both go all the way down in the water turning into "fins", and one of 'em always manages to grab the water a little harder then the other one, and it hooks in a heartbeat. i know a guy that got tossed going 45mph in a cp. they just do not react well if you get out of the throttle too hard.
    the sponson's added to the cp's definately help hold the nose up, as they're much fatter, and have proven to work (re: bandy losing power in the lights last year), and hold the nose up. but even with 'em, the driver still has to be careful and pay attention, because in a turn, they can still catch an edge and hook (re: bandy at sitc in '09).

    just don't lose power, and back out of the throttle very slowly.


    Maybe I was extremely lucky, but a few weekends ago was my first time to take my Mantra out (looks like the same hull to me) and I use it as a lake boat.... So to see what is safe, and what is not (my girlfriend rides with me) I ran it up to about 40 and let off the throttle. It went straight and didn't slow very fast at all. Ran it up to about 50-60 and let off. Same thing. Ran it up to probably 70 or so and let off. Same thing.

    I'm not disagreeing with you guys at all, and it will probably throw me one day, but I wanted to see how crazy it would act before she got in it. It skimmed on top of the water nice and straight every time for me...and the water was fairly choppy. When you let off, or shut the key off while up to speed, my boat settles rear first, so far I have not experienced the nose dive you are talking about.

    Would mine shut down so nice due to a good setup? or am I just lucky as hell? I'm just now learning these boats, and don't know much about them at all


    Thanks!

  11. #9
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lildave View Post
    Maybe I was extremely lucky, but a few weekends ago was my first time to take my Mantra out (looks like the same hull to me) and I use it as a lake boat.... So to see what is safe, and what is not (my girlfriend rides with me) I ran it up to about 40 and let off the throttle. It went straight and didn't slow very fast at all. Ran it up to about 50-60 and let off. Same thing. Ran it up to probably 70 or so and let off. Same thing.

    I'm not disagreeing with you guys at all, and it will probably throw me one day, but I wanted to see how crazy it would act before she got in it. It skimmed on top of the water nice and straight every time for me...and the water was fairly choppy. When you let off, or shut the key off while up to speed, my boat settles rear first, so far I have not experienced the nose dive you are talking about.

    Would mine shut down so nice due to a good setup? or am I just lucky as hell? I'm just now learning these boats, and don't know much about them at all


    Thanks!
    Dave,

    Let's just say the conditions have been favorable for you thus far. Now that you have tested it and feeling more comfortable, that is good. But now, you don't need to flirt with the tendacies that exist in all high speed boats, especially the style you have.

    So, my advice is, begin a new practice, and each time you now run the boat make it a practice to back out of the throttle slowly. If you keep on clicking it, one of these times you will catch a roller and the boat WILL turn extremely hard and very possibly throw you out and hurt you! Just don't flirt with it. The tendacy does exist.

    I know you have heard this before, but there are two types of boat racers.... Thems that been wet and thems that gonna get wet.

    Please take the advice of an old gray haired man that LOVES performance boats, but also has literally lost several of my good boat friends over over the years to accidents.

    Happy boating!

    Gear

  12. #10
    Senior Member Lildave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bauxite, AR
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Dave,

    Let's just say the conditions have been favorable for you thus far. Now that you have tested it and feeling more comfortable, that is good. But now, you don't need to flirt with the tendacies that exist in all high speed boats, especially the style you have.

    So, my advice is, begin a new practice, and each time you now run the boat make it a practice to back out of the throttle slowly. If you keep on clicking it, one of these times you will catch a roller and the boat WILL turn extremely hard and very possibly throw you out and hurt you! Just don't flirt with it. The tendacy does exist.

    I know you have heard this before, but there are two types of boat racers.... Thems that been wet and thems that gonna get wet.

    Please take the advice of an old gray haired man that LOVES performance boats, but also has literally lost several of my good boat friends over over the years to accidents.

    Happy boating!

    Gear


    This is the way I treat the boat every time now. I always do my best to listen to the gray headed guys...You didn't manage to live long enough to get gray hair on accident lol.

    I think I've experienced a little bit of "hook" last weekend when I was going across the lake, and I'm not sure I reacted right, but it worked...If I reacted wrong please let me know.

    We were headed across the lake about 40-45mph making a long slow left hand turn going into a cove from the main channel, and all of a sudden it started turning a lot sharper left pretty quickly. I gave it a little more throttle to get the nose up some, and it went straight.

    I've noticed when the nose is down, it drives like an old Ford truck with an I-beam front end...It constantly wanders just slightly left and right. You gotta constantly correct it.

  13. #11
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lildave View Post
    This is the way I treat the boat every time now. I always do my best to listen to the gray headed guys...You didn't manage to live long enough to get gray hair on accident lol.

    I think I've experienced a little bit of "hook" last weekend when I was going across the lake, and I'm not sure I reacted right, but it worked...If I reacted wrong please let me know.

    We were headed across the lake about 40-45mph making a long slow left hand turn going into a cove from the main channel, and all of a sudden it started turning a lot sharper left pretty quickly. I gave it a little more throttle to get the nose up some, and it went straight.

    I've noticed when the nose is down, it drives like an old Ford truck with an I-beam front end...It constantly wanders just slightly left and right. You gotta constantly correct it.
    You are pretty well reading it right. The only thing that I would add to that is to "point the wheel straight" when you gas back into it. Hitting the gas when it is already turning hard may spin it out, but picking the nose back up and going straight or steering the other direction away from trouble is a good thing

    A jetboat is a little different than other boats in that with no gas, you have no steering. A general statement on a jet is... if in doubt... hit the gas. Hitting the gas many times will allow you to hold the nose up and give you some steering to get out of a possible bad situation.

    If your cruising along and all the sudden you see a big hole in the water, some acceleration to keep the nose up may well be better than shutting down and dipping the front end into the hole.

    Gear.
    Last edited by Gearhead; 05-20-2011 at 07:32 PM.

  14. #12
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lildave View Post
    Maybe I was extremely lucky, but a few weekends ago was my first time to take my Mantra out (looks like the same hull to me) and I use it as a lake boat.... So to see what is safe, and what is not (my girlfriend rides with me) I ran it up to about 40 and let off the throttle. It went straight and didn't slow very fast at all. Ran it up to about 50-60 and let off. Same thing. Ran it up to probably 70 or so and let off. Same thing.

    I'm not disagreeing with you guys at all, and it will probably throw me one day, but I wanted to see how crazy it would act before she got in it. It skimmed on top of the water nice and straight every time for me...and the water was fairly choppy. When you let off, or shut the key off while up to speed, my boat settles rear first, so far I have not experienced the nose dive you are talking about.

    Would mine shut down so nice due to a good setup? or am I just lucky as hell? I'm just now learning these boats, and don't know much about them at all


    Thanks!
    i understand what you're saying. and i agree with what steve said.

    but while your mantra may be -similar-, it's shorter than a cp or a smith tunnel. next time you have yours parked next to one of those two, really examine both. being shorter, the landing areas on the bottom of the boat is going to be different. on a cp or smith, from the bow back 8', there is nothing to hold the thing up until the bow is almost submarining the surface.

    i you tried what you did with either of those two hulls, you would either be wet, very very lucky, or both.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    400

    Default

    wow ...tons learned already ...thanx for the great replies....now ,this boat has a dons ratchet,i hope this helps.would a reduction in engine weight (small block)help this tendency? how about these pods that you speak of(center keel or sponson type)how much could a feller spend on these?...what do they look like?wherer do i get em (bennett) ....do i add to the center keel in the front .im not against cutting the front sponsons and reglassing in a new shape,ive seen that the cp and wolfer have sponsons that have a longer transition to the back of the sponson than mine does...also this boat is 18 feet....again ,as always i appreciate everyones involvment here.....thanx, mikey

  16. #14
    Senior Member speedealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque,N.M.
    Posts
    234

    Default

    my earl smith had a legthen center sponson and was the worse handling boat i've ever drove. and yes its thrown out aleast 4 drivers, but so do cps, and daytonas. getting off the throttle hard and the stopping is two different things . mine goes straight on hard decel but when it ran out of fuel it was ugly and it had a rachet. still have and still love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95