Benefits of opening up a Dominator bowl
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 60

Thread:
Benefits of opening up a Dominator bowl

  1. #1
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default Benefits of opening up a Dominator bowl

    Ok guys, there may already be a post on this topic and if there is, please provide the link. I have an older dominator bowl with the 5 1/4 outlet side. what would be the benefits or lack thereof from opening this thing up? I have called around, and i get the same story, that it may add 1-5 mph. However, i was talking with a friend this weekend that did this to an older berkely bowl and lost mph. I am running a dominator 12-s, DPS inducer, stainless A impeller, and droop and turning around 5600 on motor. I know i could cut the impeller down to get more RPM, but i am planning on building a bigger motor soon, and dont wanna have to buy another $1k impeller. lol I am trying to get the most out of this pump without having to buy any more hardware. Also, what could be gained from having the impeller detailed? I will post what pics i have if needed.

    Thanks,
    AE

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Green Bay Wi,USA
    Posts
    441

    Default

    How qwik is this new engine coming into the fold? Are you a racer? or a wannabe like me? If you detail the Impeller it should grab more water and lower your RPM by improving the water flow. You know what trimming to smaller cut will do, well so be it. Bowl detailing is best left to the experts. I think the pumps that are set up for racers and some high end guys on the lake have matching components. The Pump experts and racers know of other ways. That is the loading of the impeller that you have with more water, Making sure that load is distributed evenly on the inlet side. Adjusting the outlet flow/ VS pressure of outlet flow,"Exit nozzle inserts". There is alot more to this stuff. Folks that know more than me can help, but you need to answer some basic questions. I will start: If you are changing engines, why mess with what you have until the new engine is in? Are you looking for a mph or a sanctioned race ET? What type of hull do you have? V-bottom, tunnel, Older sanger double concave, Gull wing, Flat bottom, Mod tunnel? Hang in there Alter Ego. DEL.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEL51 View Post
    How qwik is this new engine coming into the fold? Are you a racer? or a wannabe like me? If you detail the Impeller it should grab more water and lower your RPM by improving the water flow. You know what trimming to smaller cut will do, well so be it. Bowl detailing is best left to the experts. I think the pumps that are set up for racers and some high end guys on the lake have matching components. The Pump experts and racers know of other ways. That is the loading of the impeller that you have with more water, Making sure that load is distributed evenly on the inlet side. Adjusting the outlet flow/ VS pressure of outlet flow,"Exit nozzle inserts". There is alot more to this stuff. Folks that know more than me can help, but you need to answer some basic questions. I will start: If you are changing engines, why mess with what you have until the new engine is in? Are you looking for a mph or a sanctioned race ET? What type of hull do you have? V-bottom, tunnel, Older sanger double concave, Gull wing, Flat bottom, Mod tunnel? Hang in there Alter Ego. DEL.
    Ok, to answer a few questions, i am runnin a condor TX-19 gullwing, I have a place diverter with three different inserts which will adjust the speed up and down, but not that much. I am running about 750 hp on motor, and it is built to handle around a 350 shot. I will either have a new engine, or a new boat this winter, i would hope for a new boat since the motor is still strong , I race the boat in the SE class, and 9 second in the 1Kft. I am simply trying to get all that i can out of my hardware that i have. If I can open the bowl and gain a couple MPH, that would save me from cutting down a $1K impeller, only to be too small later on down the road. I simply started this thread so that anyone with expereince could tell me what performance gains can be realized from having the bowl detailed and opened up.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member hotbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    lake Ouachita AR
    Posts
    4,677

    Default

    Josh i have no idea why you wont cut and detail the impeller?

    there are boats with way more HP and way smaller impellers than you have running way faster.

    IMO you can spend all the money you want on the bowl but each piece needs to be blueprinted together.



    long story short you need to turn more RPM to make the pump work at its peak.


    Travis...
    WFLC


    2011 Performer SS
    built by Scott Seastrom.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotbo View Post
    Josh i have no idea why you wont cut and detail the impeller?

    there are boats with way more HP and way smaller impellers than you have running way faster.

    IMO you can spend all the money you want on the bowl but each piece needs to be blueprinted together.



    long story short you need to turn more RPM to make the pump work at its peak.


    Travis...
    It is funny you chimed in! I didnt start thinkin about this bowl thing until i saw a picture of how open your bowl was on teh exit side. Regardless of cutting the impeller, it seems that I could still benefit by opening the bowl up to match the newer style bowls such as yours. Again, i am just asking, and I do plan on sending the pump off or carrying to scotty to get done right. I am just asking the question to educate myself about cutting my bowl to match or closely match yours. I didnt want to cut the impeller just yet, b/c i dont want to lose cruising RPM, or fuel mileage, but I want to make my pump as efficient as possible with the parts i have. Just educating myself, but it seems that nobody will chime in and spread the knowledge!

  8. #6
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    Ok, to answer a few questions, i am runnin a condor TX-19 gullwing, I have a place diverter with three different inserts which will adjust the speed up and down, but not that much. I am running about 750 hp on motor, and it is built to handle around a 350 shot. I will either have a new engine, or a new boat this winter, i would hope for a new boat since the motor is still strong , I race the boat in the SE class, and 9 second in the 1Kft. I am simply trying to get all that i can out of my hardware that i have. If I can open the bowl and gain a couple MPH, that would save me from cutting down a $1K impeller, only to be too small later on down the road. I simply started this thread so that anyone with expereince could tell me what performance gains can be realized from having the bowl detailed and opened up.
    do you have a dyno sheet on that engine, so you know how much it's making? do you know peak hp rpm? with the kind of power you're talking about, you should at least be running 10s.

    blueprinting a pump can result in big performance gains. but it needs to be done as a unit, not peacemeal. and it's not something that should even be considered as a diy project. if there's nothing wrong with it (no knew parts needed), and you decide to do it, take it or send it to someone that has a track record doing a couple thousand, and get it done right the first time.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    do you have a dyno sheet on that engine, so you know how much it's making? do you know peak hp rpm? with the kind of power you're talking about, you should at least be running 10s.

    blueprinting a pump can result in big performance gains. but it needs to be done as a unit, not peacemeal. and it's not something that should even be considered as a diy project. if there's nothing wrong with it (no knew parts needed), and you decide to do it, take it or send it to someone that has a track record doing a couple thousand, and get it done right the first time.
    I do not have not dyno'd the motor. Again, I would love to have the entire unit blueprinted, and I guess i need to wait until the off season to do so, I only started this thread to ask those who have either changed bowls, or had their 5, 1/4" bowl opened up, what their performance gains were. I understand that I could gain RPM, by cutting the impeller, and also that the whole pump needs to be done as a unit, and that i need to know exactly what HP the motor makes at what RPM. I think the boat would run in the 10's if I wanted to spray the full 350 shot every time, i am right at 11 with a 100 shot, and ran 9.003 at SITC with a 50 shot. I think this thread was mis understood, but thats ok!

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento area
    Posts
    1,136

    Default Exit I.D

    I have inlarged the exit of the old dominators and detailed the exit to fit berkeley steering adaptors (which I belive are 5/8" larger). If you measure the hole in the steering adaptor between the two, (berk vs dom) the hole is the same size. I think that would be the choke point. Not the I.D. of the bowl on the exit. I sold the bowl before running so dont know if it helped or not. I would not do it again, or pay to have it done. But thats just me. Now the transition on the Berk is smoother, maybe thats why they say it helps. Be safe. schick PS If you are running droop your bowl will be the choke point as to a larger/berkeley style.
    Half the people in the world are below average.

  11. #9
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,573

    Default

    it could be the thread was misunderstood. but it looked like you asked two or three different questons.


    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    what could be gained from having the impeller detailed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    If I can open the bowl and gain a couple MPH, that would save me from cutting down a $1K impeller, only to be too small later on down the road.
    not to repeat myself, but the entire pump should be blueprinted together at the same time by the same person. you blueprint the impeller to take advantage of the blueprinted impeller. you blueprint the bowl to take advantage of the blueprinted impeller. this should be done by a pro that has years of experience doing the same thing, to get the benefit out of doing it. 9 times out of 10, a diy'r just whittling away on stuff is going to screw it up worse than it was before. not saying you would. just saying, most of the time that's how it goes. i've taken my pump apart and put it together many times - no big deal. but if there's any changes that will affect performance, my deal comes out of the boat, goes in a box or truck and goes to mpd.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
    I simply started this thread so that anyone with expereince could tell me what performance gains can be realized from having the bowl detailed and opened up.
    blueprinting done correctly makes the pump more efficient. it will pump more water at higher velocity, at a lower rpm. i.e., it would go quicker and faster at a lower rpm. the caveat to that is your hp curve, and how far hp would fall off from, say 5600 to 5400. that's the unkown. kind of like not knowing how much hp you would pick up from 5600 to 5800/6000.

    you mention leaving the impeller an a for the new engine. what is the plan for the new engine? if you know what it is, that can help plan ahead for impeller/pump details. depending what you have planned, an a might be larger than you'll want, or it may be smaller than you'll want.

  12. #10
    Senior Member hotbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    lake Ouachita AR
    Posts
    4,677

    Default

    Josh imo you will be wasting money by just Detailing the bowl Period!
    WFLC


    2011 Performer SS
    built by Scott Seastrom.

  13. #11
    Senior Member Alter Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Arkansas
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Alright BP, And Turd!, I appreciate the advice, i will sit on this and maybe have scotty just cut the impeller for now and see what that does. I picked up quite a few mph when we cut it from a AA to an A, and i agree, that maybe the impeller is still a lil too big for my turd motor. If money permits, I will pull the motor this winter, dyno it, and send the pump off to be worked over by someone with experience....And by the way, I had no intentions of doing this myself, i would totaly FOCK it up! Also, I am not talking about detailing the bowl, just opening it up, so that it has the same or as close to the same exit size as the newer style bowls, without having to buy a new one. Lets just let this thread die, i think I have confused you guys and possibly myself with the questions!

  14. #12
    Senior Member PCE680's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manhattan Beach,CA / LHC,AZ
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Remove the inducer.It may run a faster MPH with the A impellor.

  15. #13
    B1 Racing cs19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCE680 View Post
    Remove the inducer.It may run a faster MPH with the A impellor.
    Ya but what about the ET?

  16. #14
    Ralls Precision Machine Ballztech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    435

    Default Send it to me.

    Well do it like this one for free and you tell us how it worked. This is a old dominator bowl opened up.

    Just for fun.

    AR.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95