we have a problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
we have a problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default we have a problem

    my cousin has a sanger super jet.and the past couple of times he took it out it has been making violent left and right turns on him for no reason.he is in the throttle when it happens.all the cables are fine.seems to do it more in smooth water than rough.all the hardware is thight.the boat has been put toghether for 20 years now and it allasudden started doing this.what do you guys think?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member cheyenne580's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Joey you might want to check those set screw that hold's the shaft's locked on the turning arm.Does that make any sense?If not call me.Plus have someone hold the noozle while someone else try's to turn the steering wheel.


    Jim S

  4. #3
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default

    he has a weird steering sysem in it.it is a rod that goes all the way back.when he turns right or left its only a half a turn on the steering wheel

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    TRG
    TRG is offline
    Senior Member TRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,717

    Default

    or check the loader, i had a similar situation on a buddys boat and the "Stinger weld had broken loose and would be fine (Maybe a bad chioce of words!) but when he would wood it, our best guess was that the loader was bending downward and grabbing the side of the loader and want to turn the boat and almost spin it out! the boat ran a solid 52mph with an olds, so i think it was good that he made a replica loader and for all i know he is still using it, but the problem was gone after the new one was installed, just my two cents, im sure there could be quite a few ways this would happen to your buddy.
    crawl under the boat and look at the hull as well, could'nt hurt!!

  7. #5
    Senior Member cheyenne580's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddnjuzz View Post
    or check the loader, i had a similar situation on a buddys boat and the "Stinger weld had broken loose and would be fine (Maybe a bad chioce of words!) but when he would wood it, our best guess was that the loader was bending downward and grabbing the side of the loader and want to turn the boat and almost spin it out! the boat ran a solid 52mph with an olds, so i think it was good that he made a replica loader and for all i know he is still using it, but the problem was gone after the new one was installed, just my two cents, im sure there could be quite a few ways this would happen to your buddy.
    crawl under the boat and look at the hull as well, could'nt hurt!!

    Ya what he said!!!!!!!

  8. #6
    TRG
    TRG is offline
    Senior Member TRG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,717

    Default

    Jim, although i have never heard of a loader doing what my buddys boat did (Breaking off and going through the pump?...yes), do these things crack and NOT completely break much?, that was a first for me, but im not a pump guy or a boat racer!

  9. #7
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default

    he said he looked at the loader and it looked alright.

  10. #8
    Senior Member Oldsquirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tx-19 View Post
    he said he looked at the loader and it looked alright.
    Tell him to remove it and have a closer look.

  11. #9
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsquirt View Post
    Tell him to remove it and have a closer look.
    i think i will go look at it myself

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A.J. Arizona
    Posts
    243

    Default

    By chance did you just put a new motor with more H.P. in the boat

  13. #11
    Senior Member tx-19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    wittmann,az
    Posts
    853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blownjet13 View Post
    By chance did you just put a new motor with more H.P. in the boat
    same motor for 15 to 20 years.

  14. #12
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Maybe post up some pics of the set-up , if I'm reading write this began with no changes in the setup,ride plate , jet etc,no additions ?droop etc ? Sounds like the boat is bow hunting or "bow steering" (could also be the loader as suggested,or even subfloor water logged ) I took out a 23 foot jet cruiser a while back that the customer swore would "swap ends at 45mph" when "asked" to only do a minor turn and SWTG it DID (scared the bejeesus out of me and Josh when it did ) Tom

  15. #13
    Senior Member Mojave85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    628

    Default

    So what ended up being the problem? The reason I ask is that my daycruiser is kinda doing the same thing. I added a bunch more horsepower and now it feels like the V is constantly try to steer the boat at speed. If I get off the throttle it drops the boat deeper in the water thus gaining more control. Top end speed is only about 65 but is a handful.

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Maybe post up some pics of the set-up , if I'm reading write this began with no changes in the setup,ride plate , jet etc,no additions ?droop etc ? Sounds like the boat is bow hunting or "bow steering" (could also be the loader as suggested,or even subfloor water logged ) I took out a 23 foot jet cruiser a while back that the customer swore would "swap ends at 45mph" when "asked" to only do a minor turn and SWTG it DID (scared the bejeesus out of me and Josh when it did ) Tom

  16. #14
    Senior Member cheyenne580's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddnjuzz View Post
    Jim, although i have never heard of a loader doing what my buddys boat did (Breaking off and going through the pump?...yes), do these things crack and NOT completely break much?, that was a first for me, but im not a pump guy or a boat racer!

    Todd i've only seen them crack at the weld but not come apart like that.I've seen the horizonal stinger's fold in on each other but not break off.

    Jim S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95