Oil Leak issues....
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
Oil Leak issues....

  1. #1
    Idaho Jet Craig4937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default Oil Leak issues....

    I'm still having oil leak issues on my Olds 455 around the Distributor. It does have a o-ring seal and a gasket around the top of the dist.

    any Ideas?

    I hate oil leaks !

    Craig

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Idaho Jet Craig4937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default oil leaks

    Any ideas? can't believe nobody has this before.....................

    Craig

  4. #3
    Cas
    Cas is offline
    Angry American Cas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    have you tried using a thicker gasket or stacking a couple of them up?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig4937 View Post
    I'm still having oil leak issues on my Olds 455 around the Distributor. It does have a o-ring seal and a gasket around the top of the dist.

    any Ideas?

    I hate oil leaks !

    Craig
    Craig , the original and after market Olds distributors , were designed to use and oring so if that oring or the area on the intake is not clean or damaged , in typical Olds fashion oil will blow out the path of least resistance if a little blow by is existant, you could fashion a gasket to use under the Distributor flange as well but bear in mind that gasket will act as a "shim" and begin to change the engagment of the Distributor gear to cam . If you find that the o'ring looks good you may want to consider how and how well or if the crankcase is vented.... Tom

  7. #5
    Idaho Jet Craig4937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Craig , the original and after market Olds distributors , were designed to use and oring so if that oring or the area on the intake is not clean or damaged , in typical Olds fashion oil will blow out the path of least resistance if a little blow by is existant, you could fashion a gasket to use under the Distributor flange as well but bear in mind that gasket will act as a "shim" and begin to change the engagment of the Distributor gear to cam . If you find that the o'ring looks good you may want to consider how and how well or if the crankcase is vented.... Tom
    Tom, that is a concern. If I take my finger and feel the back of the distributor hole in the block, I can feel ridges on the rear of the hole but not up front. I don't want to take something like sandpaper and try to smooth it out and risk dropping some bits into the engine. I am going to try to get a bigger o-ring....


    Craig

  8. #6
    Senior Member pilot940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Try putting a super thin layer of silicone on the bottom edge of the dist, let it dry then grease it a tad and install it.

    Could the leak be coming from the intake manifold to block seal?
    Last edited by pilot940; 07-09-2011 at 02:24 AM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member 1975sleekcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    393

    Default

    are you sure it is coming from the distributor. it could be your intake??? the rubber seals that they give you like to squeeze out alowing oil to come out and rest around your distributor. happened to me. just pulled out the seal, cleaned up the gap with paint thinner, and sealed it with silicone. come to find out alot of builders don't use the gasket. they silicone it from the start........

  10. #8
    Senior Member pilot940's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1975sleekcraft View Post
    are you sure it is coming from the distributor. it could be your intake??? the rubber seals that they give you like to squeeze out alowing oil to come out and rest around your distributor. happened to me. just pulled out the seal, cleaned up the gap with paint thinner, and sealed it with silicone. come to find out alot of builders don't use the gasket. they silicone it from the start........
    This happened to me as well, except I didn't use the seals and there wasn't quite enough silicone between the manifold and the block.

  11. #9
    Idaho Jet Craig4937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pilot940 View Post
    This happened to me as well, except I didn't use the seals and there wasn't quite enough silicone between the manifold and the block.
    First of all, Thanks for all the info. I didn't use the gaskets, I used RTV. My question is, do you have to take the intake off or can you seal it it from the rear with the distributor out?

    Craig

  12. #10
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig4937 View Post
    First of all, Thanks for all the info. I didn't use the gaskets, I used RTV. My question is, do you have to take the intake off or can you seal it it from the rear with the distributor out?

    Craig
    Do it right, pull the manifold and clean all surfaces well. I like the gray RTV.
    "He is a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter, so dont get any ideas."

  13. #11
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    Oh, and don't use the turkey tray gasket. Get the paper gaskets.
    "He is a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter, so dont get any ideas."

  14. #12
    Idaho Jet Craig4937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendellajet View Post
    Oh, and don't use the turkey tray gasket. Get the paper gaskets.
    Yes, I did get the paper gaskets. no turkey tray here......

    and yes I'll do it right......

    Craig

  15. #13
    Idaho Jet Craig4937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    188

    Default oil leak

    Ok, we are going out tonight to see if we have it fixed. I used a little bit bigger o-ring and I sealed the intake to block mating surfaces. It did look like it was sealed between the block and the intake in the rear.....

    Craig

  16. #14
    Senior Member 1975sleekcraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendellajet View Post
    Oh, and don't use the turkey tray gasket. Get the paper gaskets.
    this is interesting...i was told by people on PB that the turkey tray was the way to go. one reason was it keeps your intake cooler( what i was told) i have been using one for 9 seasons now without a problem. there is nothing wrong with sealing up the front or rear of your intake(oil seal) without removing your intake. it is all about how you prep. sounds like you have got her licked.........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95