63 @ 5,300 at sea level, would u complain?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
63 @ 5,300 at sea level, would u complain?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default 63 @ 5,300 at sea level, would u complain?

    buddy just bought a real nice 18ft jet
    he doesn't think its fast enough.
    i'm not saying what brand for anonymity, but its clean and blueprinted
    motor is a 468 BBC with a solid-lifter cam twin holly dbl pmprs and a tunnel ram and basetts.
    dominator pump with ride plate, droop and place div. i don't know what shoe or impeller so don't ask, neither does he.
    hits 5300 at 63 mph at real close to sea level on a hot day...
    he thinks it should be closer to the 6k rev limiter, 53 hundo sounded like a lot for big cube motor...

    i know the bone-stock southwind hits high 50s at 4500ish with a bbf
    Last edited by southwind74; 07-07-2011 at 12:31 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    987
    987 is offline
    SWDBA 987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Posts
    25

    Default

    I could be wrong but FWIW that doesn't sound right. My first jet was a Hornet 19', no bottom work, no shoe, no ride plate, had a loader and diverter (stock berk pump), fairly heavy boat, old tired 454 short block, edelbrock aluminum heads and mild cam, air gap intake, 750cfm carb.....nothing special.........I hit 62 @4800RPM, heres the kicker....Altitude 5000 feet!!!!

    With his engine at sea level and in a 18', seems like he should be going faster...
    96' 18ft Pantera Drag Boat

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 987 View Post
    I could be wrong but FWIW that doesn't sound right. My first jet was a Hornet 19', no bottom work, no shoe, no ride plate, had a loader and diverter (stock berk pump), fairly heavy boat, old tired 454 short block, edelbrock aluminum heads and mild cam, air gap intake, 750cfm carb.....nothing special.........I hit 62 @4800RPM, heres the kicker....Altitude 5000 feet!!!!

    With his engine at sea level and in a 18', seems like he should be going faster...
    Right!?
    how do the impeller letters match up? whats the diff bet. a, b aa, yadayada?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Just to help out here What boat (hull) ,as it (the secrecy) makes a huge difference in the equasion?

  7. #5
    the padawan
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anaheim
    Posts
    66

    Default

    i second jetboat.... hell we could be talking about a mini day.... and they make a difference, every single one makes a difference.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    ok, lets just say its not a day cruiser or mini-day, but you knew that b/c its 18 feet, but its also not a tahiti or hawaiian

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Ok, I'll play. If its a tight pump spinning an A at about 500 hp in say an 18 gullwing, you should be hitting 80mph.

  10. #8
    Senior Member 79sleek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    178

    Default sell it

    Quote Originally Posted by southwind74 View Post
    buddy just bought a real nice 18ft jethe doesn't think its fast enough.i'm not saying what brand for anonymity, but its clean and blueprintedmotor is a 468 BBC with a solid-lifter cam twin holly dbl pmprs and a tunnel ram and basetts.dominator pump with ride plate, droop and place div. i don't know what shoe or impeller so don't ask, neither does he.hits 5300 at 63 mph at real close to sea level on a hot day...he thinks it should be closer to the 6k rev limiter, 53 hundo sounded like a lot for big cube motor...i know the bone-stock southwind hits high 50s at 4500ish with a bbf
    I've got a mild 460 in a 20' jet boat 65 mph with diverter only at 5000 ft above sea level probably do 80 at sea level with more carb

  11. #9
    Senior Member hellnback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Dallas TX
    Posts
    746

    Default Someone say Oldsmobile ? ? ?

    basically stock 455 in a 18' Kona 67 mph @ 4800 at 626 fasl A impeller JE pump
    It may be OLD ,it may be Slow ... but at least it's MOBILE !!!

  12. #10
    "Try it Now!" Tahiti Boss21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Yucaipa, California
    Posts
    3,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hellnback View Post
    basically stock 455 in a 18' Kona 67 mph @ 4800 at 626 fasl A impeller JE pump
    That's a little fast for an olds!
    1992 Eliminator Daytona 21'

  13. #11
    Senior Member Double A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Yakima, Washington
    Posts
    391

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Just to help out here What boat (hull) ,as it (the secrecy) makes a huge difference in the equasion?
    What he said...and impeller?

  14. #12
    BTC cardcarrying member sunkisst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chantilly Va.
    Posts
    1,075

    Default Hi 50s @ 4500 RPM 63mph @ 5300 RPM

    Quote Originally Posted by southwind74 View Post
    buddy just bought a real nice 18ft jet
    he doesn't think its fast enough.
    i'm not saying what brand for anonymity, but its clean and blueprinted
    motor is a 468 BBC with a solid-lifter cam twin holly dbl pmprs and a tunnel ram and basetts.
    dominator pump with ride plate, droop and place div. i don't know what shoe or impeller so don't ask, neither does he.
    hits 5300 at 63 mph at real close to sea level on a hot day...
    he thinks it should be closer to the 6k rev limiter, 53 hundo sounded like a lot for big cube motor...

    i know the bone-stock southwind hits high 50s at 4500ish with a bbf
    Sounds like a 150 shot to me on a Bone-Stock Southwind. Just sayin...
    Last edited by sunkisst; 07-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default 150 shot

    don't i wish, but then i'd be making the same complaint, only high 50s with 150 plate.
    C, no plate.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	123460

  16. #14
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti Boss21 View Post
    That's a little fast for an olds!
    X2 clear the GPS once you unload the boat
    #55

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95