guage reading help
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread:
guage reading help

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    108

    Default guage reading help

    Ok, I have a stock 460 on my jet boat and was wondering what is a normal engine tempature and oil pressure reading should be on my guages......what should my range be....THANKS

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerod77 View Post
    Ok, I have a stock 460 on my jet boat and was wondering what is a normal engine tempature and oil pressure reading should be on my guages......what should my range be....THANKS
    Depending on the type oil pump (installed) as well as a number of other factors , around 25 to 30 (hot idle) and 45 to 60 +or - at speed , rule of thumb is 10 psi for 100 rpms however I've never been confortable with that re the temp most jets will run from 100* to maybe 140*-160* (again depending on factors) such as headers or logs and then the type of log plumbing Maybe describe what you have ?

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Yuma, AZ
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I was told i have a bone STOCK 460 with a stock oil pump and tansom headers with stock berkely 12jg pump with jetovator


    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Depending on the type oil pump (installed) as well as a number of other factors , around 25 to 30 (hot idle) and 45 to 60 +or - at speed , rule of thumb is 10 psi for 100 rpms however I've never been confortable with that re the temp most jets will run from 100* to maybe 140*-160* (again depending on factors) such as headers or logs and then the type of log plumbing Maybe describe what you have ?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Change....

    It's not so much a given number you're looking for, as it any changes during an outing. If your pressure is normally X, and suddenly it goes way down, or way up, you would need to find out why. Same can be said for temp, establish a "normal", and keep an eye out for drastic changes...Also, be careful of where you launch and beach. You can suck up a bunch of weeds in the pump and your temp gauge may not show overheating because there is NO WATER to soak the sender....You won't realize it until you're outside the no wake zone and the boat won't go. If that ever happens, paddle the boat back to the ramp and put it on the trailer to cool off and remove the weeds. Allow the engine to cool waaaay down before you put cold river/lake water into it. A lot of blocks and heads have been cracked because the weeds are removed and cold water ingested into a very hot engine...
    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  7. #5
    Senior Member ICECREAMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Maybe post what you're seeing for starters. What makes you concerned?

  8. #6
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerod77 View Post
    I was told i have a bone STOCK 460 with a stock oil pump and tansom headers with stock berkely 12jg pump with jetovator
    That considered 25to 30 idle 50ish at speed (hot & assuming the guage is correct ) , what do you have?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95