timing help?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
timing help?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default timing help?

    what is a good starting point for ignition timing at idle?
    stock 460 ford, 1974 southwind 18ft jet.
    its a stock distributor, with pertronics electronic conversion.
    its mechanical advance only, no vac adv.
    i don't have a dial-back light.

    thanks...

    also, whats it mean if the boat has a tendancy to blow off one of the exhaust flappers?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Schiada 201's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Orlando.FL
    Posts
    672

    Default

    32 to 34 is good also sounds like your lean

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schiada 201 View Post
    32 to 34 is good also sounds like your lean
    you mean total deg adv. at 32-34 right?
    by lean, you're ref to the flappers???
    i don't have a dial-back, so i'm looking for a good timing at idle to start -- aroudn 6 deg i'm guessing...

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Indiana
    Posts
    132

    Default

    I believe what Schiada 21 is saying is blowing off the flappers could be due to engine running lean.

    6-8 degrees at idle is good starting point but best method is to time based full or total advance on the distributer. About 32-34 degrees at around 3,000 rpm is good place to start. The exact number is a function of fuel, cam, heads, etc. You need to experiment to find the maximum advance that gives best performance without detonation at speeds or kick back when starting.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fastmarlene View Post
    I believe what Schiada 21 is saying is blowing off the flappers could be due to engine running lean.

    6-8 degrees at idle is good starting point but best method is to time based full or total advance on the distributer. About 32-34 degrees at around 3,000 rpm is good place to start. The exact number is a function of fuel, cam, heads, etc. You need to experiment to find the maximum advance that gives best performance without detonation at speeds or kick back when starting.
    kick back eh?
    it does occasionally back fire when starting...
    can i check total adv. at 3k with a standard light? probably don't want to do that on the trailer tho

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southwind74 View Post
    kick back eh?
    it does occasionally back fire when starting...
    can i check total adv. at 3k with a standard light? probably don't want to do that on the trailer tho
    Yea you can do it with a standard light. Use a little whitout on the fly wheel to mark the 34 degrees to make it easy. Is it a Prestolite disty?

  9. #7
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Timing! Go get a degree tape (stick on installed the right way) And set at 36 degrees and give it a shot. Fords like timing and fuel! Or you could do it the old school way and time by ear! I will admit it takes an educated ear to do so but works in a pinch, with the right ear. M

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Timing! Go get a degree tape (stick on installed the right way) And set at 36 degrees and give it a shot. Fords like timing and fuel! Or you could do it the old school way and time by ear! I will admit it takes an educated ear to do so but works in a pinch, with the right ear. M
    that's the way it is set now, by ear/feel...
    runs good, gps'd on sat at 59mph at 4k rpm, i'm maybe looking for a little more revs.

  11. #9
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by southwind74 View Post
    that's the way it is set now, by ear/feel...
    runs good, gps'd on sat at 59mph at 4k rpm, i'm maybe looking for a little more revs.
    I don't blame you. Without knowing the condition of the pump, what loader, and valve spring condition that boat should see 4800 rpm. 59mph at 4000 rpm is not bad but the tach could be lying to you! M

  12. #10
    Boat 502 76Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Timing! Go get a degree tape (stick on installed the right way) And set at 36 degrees and give it a shot. Fords like timing and fuel! Or you could do it the old school way and time by ear! I will admit it takes an educated ear to do so but works in a pinch, with the right ear. M
    Fords do like fuel....but NEGATIVE on the timing ! Your wasting your time and putting extra strain on parts if you put more then 34* in it.... 36* won't burn it down, but you will see zero gains. Any Ford guy will tell you that. Just my 2 cents...

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    lost another flapper again last night, someone told me its from running too hot, is this why running lean would cause flappers to flop off?
    anyone have experience putting a thermostat kit in a BBF?
    the reason i ask is cause it runs really hot in the marina in the 5 zone and really cool opened up. like 210 at idle and 165 or so opened up.
    i hear you've got to modify the intake to accept a stat then drill the stat and plumb in the exhaust return lines...
    if so, then what kind of stat cover do i use to plumb in the two hoses that go to the risers?

    oh and for springs, they're stock, untouched, the tach could be lying but i don't think so, it doesn't sound like its working that hard, it really sounds like its just chugging along at WOT, not really singing.
    Last edited by southwind74; 08-25-2011 at 12:55 PM.

  14. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sandpoint Id.
    Posts
    44

    Default

    your dist has about 20 advance so i would start at around 12 if it feels doggie on the bottom bump it up a couple. As far as the flap did it spit it of running it out of the water?

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by funjunkie View Post
    your dist has about 20 advance so i would start at around 12 if it feels doggie on the bottom bump it up a couple. As far as the flap did it spit it of running it out of the water?
    yeah it did spit it out on the lake. the driver side this time, pass. side last time. they were new last season with just a couple runs last year and several hours this season.

  16. #14
    Member Katanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Howell Mi.
    Posts
    43

    Default

    I purchased my themostat set up from Tom at Jet boat performance. Came with everything needed and was a simple install. Boat warms up fast and stays at 195 all day long with no valves to play with.

    Same 460 ford-now if I could only stop the breather from spitting oil after running hard I would be happy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95