So I came across a 19' Ultra tunnel that the previous owner tried to use as a dual sport only to find out it didn't make a very good rock crawler! This is the result of a fast boat and mass quantities of alcohol. When he told me the story, all he remembered in detail was being very drunk, going real fast, and ending up on shore with 3 other people in the boat no less! Thank God nobody was seriously hurt. He was able to get a new hull from his Insurance, and he got to keep the old one which I was able to pick up for a reasonable price.
I have a blown 496 BBC motor I had built for a Sleekcraft day cruiser that I'm doing a Restoration on, but decided it would work much better in this tunnel. So my SIL and I decided to team up and take this stripped and damaged hull and see what we could do with it. For the most part, this is a budget build because we need to replace everything. I've bought several parts from the members here via the spam section which kind of makes it a PB team project. Some were intended for the day cruiser while others were bought specifically for the Ultra. Much of the rigging is being fabricated by us as thats what makes the project fun. Our target is to have the boat in the water this spring.
So, here's our build:
The boat hit a rock right on the tip just below the cap. It ballooned the sponson on the inside and fractured (made a soft spot) on the bottom of the sponson so we started cutting out the dead areas. We ended up cutting the whole inside of the sponson out and a big chunk of the bottom.