Water pressure relief valve? Necessary?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 50

Thread:
Water pressure relief valve? Necessary?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Boulder City, NV
    Posts
    36

    Default Water pressure relief valve? Necessary?

    For starters, I'm a little new to this jet boat thing. I've got a Spectra mini day cruiser thats getting a fresh 460 engine which should be in the low 400 hp range. Its got a Berkeley E pump with an A cut impellar that has also been gone through. I've already installed a gate valve on the water line directly from the pump but was wondering if I should run a pressure relief valve as well? Will I see pressures high enough to worry about blowing a gasket with a stock pump setup? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    1976 Spectra 18 Mini Day Cruiser

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The Man cordog009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    For starters, I'm a little new to this jet boat thing. I've got a Spectra mini day cruiser thats getting a fresh 460 engine which should be in the low 400 hp range. Its got a Berkeley E pump with an A cut impellar that has also been gone through. I've already installed a gate valve on the water line directly from the pump but was wondering if I should run a pressure relief valve as well? Will I see pressures high enough to worry about blowing a gasket with a stock pump setup? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    It's always a good idea to have one. I currently don't, but really need to get one on the boat. The pump can produce some high pressure spikes, more than the gaskets would see in automotive use.


    1984 Youngblood TX-19 SOLD

  4. #3
    Glendale Arizona Squirtcha?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Glendale Arizona
    Posts
    2,368

    Default

    It's not really necessary, but not a bad idea. I ran my boat for years without and never had a problem. Lots of other guys have too. On the other hand, they're not that expensive and it's good insurance against excessive water pressure to the block.

    When I bought the boat I'm running now, it came with one in the box of spare parts that came with it so I cut it in.
    Last edited by Squirtcha?; 02-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Led
    Led is offline
    Senior Member Led's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,493

    Default

    If you are concerned with it, put a valve on the water inlet, it can be simple as a water hose valve, but I like alot of others, on my thru transom exhaust motors, not required

  7. #5
    Ain't Right Racin piston in the wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sapulpa ok
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    I've never ran one. I feed with #8 to a T and #8 to each of the water pump ports and out of the intake with 2 #8's. I coud see a problem if u just had one outlet ike a thermostat pate set up. then if u ran a #16 out it should be fine.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Led View Post
    If you are concerned with it, put a valve on the water inlet, it can be simple as a water hose valve, but I like alot of others, on my thru transom exhaust motors, not required
    100 psi thru a 1" hole is the same as 100psi thru a pinhole. closing a gate valve regulates flow not pressure.

  9. #7
    Senior Member jet pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hesperia California
    Posts
    354

    Cool

    I dont run one, or a valve of any kind. I did put a pressure gauge for the water on the top of the intake. @WOT it's 12psi. stock pump and stock motor.

  10. #8
    Senior Member TNYoungblood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Clarksville, TN
    Posts
    5,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet pilot View Post
    I dont run one, or a valve of any kind. I did put a pressure gauge for the water on the top of the intake. @WOT it's 12psi. stock pump and stock motor.

    How do you control ur engine temp without a valve??

    I've never ran 1 and hadn't had any problems
    WFLC The REAL #321 Kentucky Drag Boat Association 2016 NJBA 10.0 High Points Champ

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    939

    Default pressure regulator

    I run one. Originally I tried the gate valve direction. THen simplified by putting a pill in the connection between pump and engine. Figured I could choke off the single intake, with two exits. This would releive soem of the pressure. The issue I had was at idle, not enouph wter running through the block to cool it properly. Switched to pressure releif, and that has helped. You need to check that spring on a regular basis.

    Jerry

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,168

    Default In water......

    I'll say it again, NEVER regulate the "in" water flow..... Pressure? Maybe, but do not restrict the flow to the engine.. EVER..... If the engine builds pressure that makes you nervous, add a dump line or two...You can regulate the "Exit" water to build heat, or more cooling, and remember, water can move too fast to take any heat with it..... The "in" hose/line from the pump should be larger than the hose after the split, ie: 3/4 off the pump, (2) 5/8ths after the "T", and 1/2" on the exits, or to the logs.... With wet headers I run two additional "dump" lines, one regulated on a cable controlled from the seat, one wide open..... In 3+ decades I have never regulated incoming water, or used a pressure relief/regulator on the "in" side..... Also, if engine gaskets fail under normal pump pressure they were inferior to begin with..... I always add a small bead of silicone around the water ports on the head gaskets, as well as intake to head water ports..... No leaks......
    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  13. #11
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,453

    Default

    There is a difference between "having no problems" and maximizing performance/ efficiency.

    I have ran the water straight in and out, with and without any valving, with and with out regulators/ relief dumps. With no real problems also.
    (Well, except when a cheap hose connection failed on My first Miller and I came inches from sinking it)


    This is what I have settled on over the years.

    From pump to an overboard relief dump set at 12lb. (+-), this is hard lined with 1/2" pipe.
    From there 1/2" hardline to a T with #12 to the engine, #8 to a header control valve at the driver seat.
    The header control then goes back to the Basset T.

    While I DO have gate valves between the pump and engine, they are ALWAYS wide open while running on the lake or river.
    I ONLY restrict them for directing water when running on the hose.
    I have a gate valve on the water OUT of the engine. (Dump line)

    I will NEVER restrict water in, although I used to and many still do it to control temp. A telling tale is to install a temp gauge at the cyl. heads.
    That sending unit on the intake manifold isn't going to say much if only steam is behind it.

    By restricting the water out, in conjunction with the 12 lb relief dump, I can dial the engine temperature to virtually wherever I want it, never exceed 12lb pressure, and never risk air pockets in the engine.

    With the manual header valve in the system, I do not have to worry about "balancing" the PSI for the Basset T either.

    Again, there are countless ways that "work", but I like my engine to be at a happy temperature, not slugging along at 120* with "no problems".
    It is different for me now, running a $10,000 engine with aluminum heads versus the old truck engine in my first boat.

    The #1 concern for Me is parts or hose failure.
    Tuning the water system or not tuning it is SECONDARY to having it as fail proof as possible.
    Many people (Like I used to) almost consider it an afterthought and just rig up what they have for hoses and 25 cent hose clamps.
    I have seen guys with pretty nice boats using plastic hose bibs and and old heater hose etc.
    That's a great way to lose a boat.
    Last edited by thatguy; 02-18-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  14. #12
    Senior Member jet pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hesperia California
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TNYoungblood View Post
    How do you control ur engine temp without a valve??

    I've never ran 1 and hadn't had any problems
    I dont worry about the engine temp unless I take it into cold water, always runs 160/175 depending in where we go.

  15. #13
    Living in a cage of fear thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redding, CA
    Posts
    16,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jet pilot View Post
    I dont worry about the engine temp unless I take it into cold water, always runs 160/175 depending in where we go.
    Do you have a thermostat set up?


    I am assuming so?

    Also I see that you guys most likely have through transom exhaust on you cruisers, so they are sort of different animals than what i got.
    Last edited by thatguy; 02-18-2012 at 08:37 AM.
    Tommy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Tommy please remove all Jimsplace quotes from your sig and don't put more back. He doesn't like it and it is against the rules. Thank you.
    "So as through a glass, and darkly
    The age long strife I see
    Where I fought in many guises,
    Many names, but always me."

    Gen. George S Patton

  16. #14
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    I'll say it again, NEVER regulate the "in" water flow..... Pressure? Maybe, but do not restrict the flow to the engine.. EVER.....
    and i'll say again - i completely disagree with this, always have, always will.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I will NEVER restrict water in, although I used to and many still do it to control temp. A telling tale is to install a temp gauge at the cyl. heads.
    That sending unit on the intake manifold isn't going to say much if only steam is behind it.
    one question. specifically, what is the exact pressure at your pump's cooling water exit at wot? exactly...

    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    For starters, I'm a little new to this jet boat thing. I've got a Spectra mini day cruiser thats getting a fresh 460 engine which should be in the low 400 hp range. Its got a Berkeley E pump with an A cut impellar that has also been gone through. I've already installed a gate valve on the water line directly from the pump but was wondering if I should run a pressure relief valve as well? Will I see pressures high enough to worry about blowing a gasket with a stock pump setup? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    in your application, you don't need to do any more than you've got.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95