[Question] need drive shaft help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 16

Thread:
need drive shaft help

  1. #1
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default need drive shaft help

    hey guys,

    so i finally got the motor switched into the jet and figured out what it is. now i just need to figure out what kind of drive shaft to get. the motor is a 454 and i have a berkely jet on the boat. as far as i am aware i need a spicer 1310 or 1350. i just dont know if they are all universal in length or do i need a specific size. also is there any play in the angle of the shaft between the spline and the pto or does it have to be a straight shot? i have the engine on blocks in the boat for now, just need to figure out the details before i bolt it up. one other thing...can the drive shaft be put in and pulled out with the engine bolted in or does it need to be hoisted out for that?

    Nate

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Jackwagon Patrolman Rexone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    11,644
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Unless you're running pretty big power save your money on the 1350 and get a 1310. Spicer recommends 1 to 3 degrees offset (my pref is 2) with pump shaft and crankshaft parallel. I have these Spicer jet drivelines on the shelf if you need. You won't get the driveline off the spline with engine in but will be able to disconnect it from engine and slide it back slightly to run on trailer. The late spicer drivelines take a Power Take Off (PTO) flange [also called flywheel button in some circles] between the flywheel and driveline flange. They are different depending whether you have a flexplate or a solid flywheel (flexplate PTO has a counterbore relief that fits over the back of the crank on top of the flexplate, flywheel PTO has a step register which fits in the flywheel center hole). The PTO's are about an inch thick and both types bolt through the flywheel or flexplate into the crank flange with 6 high strength 12 point bolts (or allens). Driveline length is about 7.5" overall flange to end (which would include your shaft engagement inside the spline of the driveline). Be careful not to bottom the shaft out in the driveline either on install. Feel free to give me a call if you need any help. 909-592-1000

  4. #3
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Unless you're running pretty big power save your money on the 1350 and get a 1310. Spicer recommends 1 to 3 degrees offset (my pref is 2) with pump shaft and crankshaft parallel. I have these drivelines on the shelf if you need. You won't get the driveline off the spline with engine in but will be able to disconnect it from engine and slide it back slightly to run on trailer. The late spicer drivelines take a PTO flange (power take off) between the flywheel and driveline flange. They are different depending whether you have a flexplate or a solid flywheel (flexplate PTO has a counterbore relief that fits over the back of the crank on top of the flexplate, flywheel PTO has a step register which fits in the flywheel center hole). The PTO's are about an inch thick and both types bolt through the flywheel or flexplate into the crank flange with 6 high strength 12 point bolts (or allens). Driveline length is about 7.5" overall flange to end (which would include your shaft engagement inside the spline of the driveline). Be careful not to bottom the shaft out in the driveline either on install. Feel free to give me a call if you need any help. 909-592-1000
    Thanks for all the info. very helpful. I am not sure if the engine already has a PTO on it or not though. It looks like it does but i didnt know that v-drives had PTOs. I have a pic here from the engine. could you take a look and let me know what im working with?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	149982  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Jackwagon Patrolman Rexone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    11,644
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. very helpful. I am not sure if the engine already has a PTO on it or not though. It looks like it does but i didnt know that v-drives had PTOs. I have a pic here from the engine. could you take a look and let me know what im working with?
    You are looking at the PTO. If the bolts are 3/8-24 thread it is a 1310. If they are 7/16-20 thread it is a 1350. It may be stamped right on it, pic is blurry so I can't read the numbers.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. very helpful. I am not sure if the engine already has a PTO on it or not though. It looks like it does but i didnt know that v-drives had PTOs. I have a pic here from the engine. could you take a look and let me know what im working with?
    At a glance i would guess that its a 1350, judging by the relief and bolt spread, though pictures can be deceiving. Rex put up some good info above, and just to add a bid the circular relief on a 1310 is 2.375" vs the 1350 at 2.750".

  8. #6
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    At a glance i would guess that its a 1350, judging by the relief and bolt spread, though pictures can be deceiving. Rex put up some good info above, and just to add a bid the circular relief on a 1310 is 2.375" vs the 1350 at 2.750".
    Just took a look at it and all that is stamped on it is Chev Thin HD. Does that mean anything to you?

  9. #7
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    Just took a look at it and all that is stamped on it is Chev Thin HD. Does that mean anything to you?
    Not particularly, i would still guess 1350, that could also be what the HD refers to (Heavy Duty?). Another measurement you could get while your at it is the distance from the face of the PTO to the far side of the bearing cap (where the bearing cap meets the suction), if its Berkeley or clone. That will get you an approximate intended drive line length.

    Edit: just re-read that you curently have the engine on blocks, in that case previous DL length is a non issue
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-22-2012 at 12:52 PM.

  10. #8
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Not particularly, i would still guess 1350, that could also be what the HD refers to (Heavy Duty?). Another measurement you could get while your at it is the distance from the face of the PTO to the far side of the bearing cap (where the bearing cap meets the suction), if its Berkeley or clone. That will get you an approximate intended drive line length.
    not sure what the bearing cap is. is that on the jet spline or on the engine? sorry still new to all of this.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    not sure what the bearing cap is. is that on the jet spline or on the engine? sorry still new to all of this.
    The bearing cap is on front of the jet held in place with 4 allens, the splines protrude through the center....However after re reading your initial post with the engine blocked up its not really an issue, as the engine can be adjusted for Drive line length. If you were re using the original engine mounts that measurement would be valuable.

  12. #10
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The bearing cap is on front of the jet held in place with 4 allens, the splines protrude through the center....However after re reading your initial post with the engine blocked up its not really an issue, as the engine can be adjusted for Drive line length. If you were re using the original engine mounts that measurement would be valuable.
    gotcha. yeah im using the rails and mounts from the v-drive so i should be able to move the block forwards or back to adjust. im not with the boat now but im trying to have someone get the measurements and bolt size for me. hopefully i should know what i need here shortly.

  13. #11
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monstertahiti78 View Post
    gotcha. yeah im using the rails and mounts from the v-drive so i should be able to move the block forwards or back to adjust. im not with the boat now but im trying to have someone get the measurements and bolt size for me. hopefully i should know what i need here shortly.
    Just to add to the good info you are already getting, make sure you don't set up that assembly to tight together! You will eat the thrust bearing on the crank and sh$it goes down hill from there in a big hurry. M Also you may want to check that PTO looks like the holes aren't all that great IE: d/s hole at 1 o-clock looks to be a 3/8 bolt(1310) and the one at 4 o-clock looks to be larger stripped maybe ??? M
    Last edited by ol guy; 02-22-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: add on

  14. #12
    Jackwagon Patrolman Rexone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Earth
    Posts
    11,644
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default

    Looking at your pic again and comparing to PTO's on my shelf it appears you have a 1350 PTO there just bases on hole relation to the crankshaft bolts. The thread size will tell the story though for sure.

    The bolt patterns also may be helpful. 1310 and 1350 Spicer Bolt Patterns at bottom of page.

  15. #13
    senior member turbo wog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    sacramento
    Posts
    1,806

    Default

    2 X 2/38 bolt pattern, 1310. anybody know how this one is used? special end to the pump to remove easier? you just might need to buy the one end for the pump in west sac. ( driveline service). or just get a new one from one of the guys here online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080079.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	150051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080082.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	150052   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080088.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	150053   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080090.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	150054  
    Last edited by turbo wog; 02-23-2012 at 01:23 AM.

  16. #14
    Broke Member monstertahiti78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Folsom, CA
    Posts
    386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbo wog View Post
    2 X 2/38 bolt pattern, 1310. anybody know how this one is used? special end to the pump to remove easier? you just might need to buy the one end for the pump in west sac. ( driveline service). or just get a new one from one of the guys here online.
    .

    just got your pm. i ended up grabbing one from Tom and jetboatperformance. appreciate the help though. thanks
    are you in the sac area?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95