looking for an original cam
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
looking for an original cam

  1. #1
    Junior Member Smooth Mvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Mohave valley
    Posts
    19

    Default looking for an original cam

    I have a mostly original 1970 22' Schiada DC 454 v-drive, i have a flattened lobe on my flat tappet cam and would like to replace it with as close to original as possible, i know we all can be hyper fanatical about all things Schiada and figured that the original cam has lasted this long so why change what has worked for 46 years. i will refresh the motor when apart but would be interested in finding an original grind that someone might be holding onto. (hydro lifters as well). and before i get answers to my why change question, let me say this is my family cruiser boat that my boy is learning to ski behind,so no speed records need be broken until he feels the "need for speed" that will sooner than later be knocking at my back pocket.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Mvr View Post
    I have a mostly original 1970 22' Schiada DC 454 v-drive, i have a flattened lobe on my flat tappet cam and would like to replace it with as close to original as possible, i know we all can be hyper fanatical about all things Schiada and figured that the original cam has lasted this long so why change what has worked for 46 years. i will refresh the motor when apart but would be interested in finding an original grind that someone might be holding onto. (hydro lifters as well). and before i get answers to my why change question, let me say this is my family cruiser boat that my boy is learning to ski behind,so no speed records need be broken until he feels the "need for speed" that will sooner than later be knocking at my back pocket.
    Couple of things to mention. Materials and manufactures are different now, as are the contents in motor oils. You can still run a flat tappet cam, but you must run an engine oil with high levels of zinc and phosphorus additives.

    If you can't get a grind number off the cam, the fellow who grinds all of my camshafts for me could put it in his machine and see what it is, and grind you a suitable replacement. Feel free to PM me if I can help you out.

  4. #3
    Junior Member Smooth Mvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Mohave valley
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Would definitely like to get in touch with you when I pull the motor and cam out. Thx for the response.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Mvr View Post
    Would definitely like to get in touch with you when I pull the motor and cam out. Thx for the response.
    I have a mercruiser cam that cam out of my boat. I would bet it is close to the cam you are looking to replace. It is an original 500 merc engine cam and ran great in my boat but I stepped up a pinch and changed induction and cam. I still have the cam and original lifters lobe verified. So it would be a basic install. Info---It came out of a Cole star fire jet. It Had a great off throttle response and pulled to 5k without a stumble. If you are interested hit me back, it's just sitting on my shelf with other cams I have ran. Mark

  7. #5
    Junior Member Smooth Mvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Mohave valley
    Posts
    19

    Default Original cam

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    I have a mercruiser cam that cam out of my boat. I would bet it is close to the cam you are looking to replace. It is an original 500 merc engine cam and ran great in my boat but I stepped up a pinch and changed induction and cam. I still have the cam and original lifters lobe verified. So it would be a basic install. Info---It came out of a Cole star fire jet. It Had a great off throttle response and pulled to 5k without a stumble. If you are interested hit me back, it's just sitting on my shelf with other cams I have ran. Mark

    what Generation is it or block year? mine is a 70 block Generation 4. Am interested if compatible. Price?

  8. #6
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Mvr View Post
    what Generation is it or block year? mine is a 70 block Generation 4. Am interested if compatible. Price?
    I'm sorry I missed that part, this cam came out of a 1992 bb chev. So I would geuss a gen 5? I 'am sure it will work but do a little research and make sure. The block had no provisions for a mech fuel pump but I was told it was fine for a gen-4. Price, shipping and ?. I don't need it and if a boater does take it. I would rather see it doing some good than sitting on my stack of cams. M

  9. #7
    Junior Member Smooth Mvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Mohave valley
    Posts
    19

    Default Original cam

    I will do some research to see if the cam will work out. i appreciate the responses and help. Anthony

  10. #8
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Mvr View Post
    I will do some research to see if the cam will work out. i appreciate the responses and help. Anthony
    The cam I have is in fact a gen 4. Mark

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95