Question about speed coat - Reply to Topic

Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Question about speed coat

Your Message

 

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces)

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 08-14-2008, 03:25 AM
    vdrive502
    Flattie all that work for 3mph I think it is easier to just change the blower pulley and get that.
  • 08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
    flattie
    I put powdered graphite in with my paint on the bottom of my boat. Stuff is like sanding concrete. I picked up 3mph
  • 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM
    DEL51
    I wonder if the U.S. Navy did research into this? I bet they did. I put graphite spray on my rideplate, speedcoat on the hull. Cheap enough, does it help?, I don't know. the ride plate seems to have bottom side wear and with graphite it is less noticeable.
  • 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM
    DetroitJim
    Speed coat doesn't do anything. I'm sure I'll get beat up for saying it but I have never seen it demonstrated that it increases speed. The shape of the bottom of the boat is 99% of it, and the texture of the surface is the other 1%. The varying coefficient of friction of the surface finish at a given surface roughness is just not relevant.
    DJ
  • 08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
    Bo-G13
    Has anyone done any true testing with and without the speed coat??
    I have heard that making the bottom excessively smooth creates a "sticky" bottom and actually causes more friction.
    One example of this is the lower units on race boats, they are left with a "rough" finish to create aeration and therefore less grab in the water.
    Can't say I have seen any true testing or proof, but it kinda makes sense.
  • 08-13-2008, 05:26 PM
    Rexone
    Molybdenum disulfide is much more durable than graphite in the compound supplied by Lubribond A (speed coat). It's much more expensive as a result. It has a wide range of uses including inside engines and weaponry. Its used in greases, nylon, nylatron, and teflon just to name a few. It is not graphite.
  • 08-13-2008, 06:52 AM
    Adam
    thanks for the quick replies, sounds good! this way I can spray it this weekend, should I just spray over the 1200 grit wet sanding or should I sand it with something a little stronger? oh the bottom is imron.
  • 08-12-2008, 10:50 PM
    IMPATIENT 1
    same thing, i've used both, and its easier to go to the j.d. dealer and get it.it shoots kinda dry so use some worn out scotch brite to knock off the overspray.

    use a respirator, speedcoat is some nasty shit and makes for some nasty ass boogers if ya don't
  • 08-12-2008, 10:47 PM
    tx19condor
    my jet boat guru told me to use the stuff your talking about on mine, says it works just as good as the name brand stuff, he hasnt steered me wrong yet!
  • 08-12-2008, 08:11 PM
    Shotgun19
    You can use the stuff from john deere store with no problem!! And save a few bucks. TSC has it also
  • 08-12-2008, 07:56 PM
    Adam

    Question about speed coat

    I was just wondering if there is a big difference between speed coat or john deere slip plate. I have a can of dry moly lubricant "speed coat" that has molybenum disulfide?? made by advance aerosol but its just a spray can and I will need more for the bottom of my boat, I see that's the stuff that what rex sells has in it. the john deere stuff just says graphite dry film lubricant but I have heard that some people use it. I'm sure I should just get the real stuff but if there's not any difference than I can just go down the road and get it, what do you guys think?

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95