Bravo three wont go forward or reverse
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 39

Thread:
Bravo three wont go forward or reverse

  1. #1
    Junior Member 21firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default Bravo three wont go forward or reverse

    I have a 99 firehawk 21' with a 5.7 and bravo three that will not engage forward or reverse, I have no idea where to start trouble shooting is there anyone that can help with where to start?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    317

    Default

    I would start with the cable an linkage an shift controls you by chance didnt put it in gear over 1000rpm that can cause damage to the shift fork an gears /clutch/ shafts

  4. #3
    Bass Lake Dream'n "Flat" foot'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    Open engine hatch, move throttle controller and see if there is any movement.
    Check the the cable is hooked up to the back side of you controller.
    [email protected]


    BLOWN GAS FLAT TO THE RAMP

    REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member 21firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21firehawk View Post
    I have a 99 firehawk 21' with a 5.7 and bravo three that will not engage forward or reverse, I have no idea where to start trouble shooting is there anyone that can help with where to start?
    Quote Originally Posted by neil450 View Post
    I would start with the cable an linkage an shift controls you by chance didnt put it in gear over 1000rpm that can cause damage to the shift fork an gears /clutch/ shafts
    Neil450 i did put it in over 1000, my idle was a little high, great so needless to say I am about to spend a lot..I checked my shift linkage and it does move when I move the lever forward and backward. So I'm guessing its not the cable.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Dont feel bad i have done it to i broke a brand new drive the weekend i got it back after dropping 3500 on it by putting in gear at high rpm now if your sure the cable is all good an the linkage an controls pull the props off an check the prop hub now im not sure if a brovo 3 has the type of hub that is supposed to shier when you hit it in to gear at high rpm now when you put in in gear over 1000 is that when then problem started an did it make noise

  8. #6
    Senior Member Hullshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dicovery Bay
    Posts
    4,218

    Default

    Possible you broke the verticle shaft. If the drive doesnt make much noise when running and you can still spin the props? Either way get ready to pull it off.

  9. #7
    Junior Member 21firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21firehawk View Post
    Neil450 i did put it in over 1000, my idle was a little high, great so needless to say I am about to spend a lot..I checked my shift linkage and it does move when I move the lever forward and backward. So I'm guessing its not the cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by neil450 View Post
    Dont feel bad i have done it to i broke a brand new drive the weekend i got it back after dropping 3500 on it by putting in gear at high rpm now if your sure the cable is all good an the linkage an controls pull the props off an check the prop hub now im not sure if a brovo 3 has the type of hub that is supposed to shier when you hit it in to gear at high rpm now when you put in in gear over 1000 is that when then problem started an did it make noise
    Quote Originally Posted by Hullshot View Post
    Possible you broke the verticle shaft. If the drive doesnt make much noise when running and you can still spin the props? Either way get ready to pull it off.

    When I put it in gear it took a minute for it to engage, but I figured it was because the rpm's were to high, then I stopped for sec, put it in neutral, and went to put it in gear and nothing, no noise no clunk nothing, when the motor is running no noise either, and I can spin the props with my hand, I am new to outdrives, I have only had jets, so I guess I had to learn the hard way. I really appreciate all the help..

  10. #8
    BTC cardcarrying member SuperSoaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    21 firehawk can you post a pic of your boat???

  11. #9
    Junior Member 21firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    [QUOTE=SuperSoaker;2163786]21 firehawk can you post a pic of your boat???[/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	282010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	282018   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	282026  

  12. #10
    Bass Lake Dream'n "Flat" foot'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    Should be a coupling between the upper and lower verticle shafts. That coupler is designed to shear from extreme shock loads. $60 or so, couple quarts of HP gear lube and you're set.

    Can't believe there's a Bravo3 on that small of a boat.
    [email protected]


    BLOWN GAS FLAT TO THE RAMP

    REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND

  13. #11
    Junior Member 21firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    [QUOTE=21firehawk;2164050]
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSoaker View Post
    21 firehawk can you post a pic of your boat???[/
    Quote Originally Posted by "Flat" foot'n View Post
    Should be a coupling between the upper and lower verticle shafts. That coupler is designed to shear from extreme shock loads. $60 or so, couple quarts of HP gear lube and you're set.

    Can't believe there's a Bravo3 on that small of a boat.
    Yeah that drive is stupid, no need for counter-rotating props, the motor is only a small block. It's going to the shop tomorrow or wed. I was going to try to do it my self but I don't want to get in over my head, like I said I have only had jets and this is my first prop boat, I don't want to make it worse then it already is.. Flat foot'n at least you are easing my mind a little I was getting ready to pay a lot. I just hope that's what it is..

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    317

    Default

    could you possibly have a blackhawk drive on it the black hawk is a counter rotating surface drive that was made for a few years an works dam well on tunnels an low hp setups i had one on a 22 daytona im sure your drive says brovo 3 on it but i have had people ask if my black hawk was a brovo 3

  15. #13
    Junior Member 21firehawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Neil450 I think you are right. I wasn't sure what kind of outdrive it was so I went on the computer and saw one that looked like mine so I figured it was a bravo 3, bit if I remember correctly I think the guy that I bought my boat from did say something about a Blackhawk. Is that a good drive? I'll post a pic of it in a few.

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    317

    Default

    OK so if its a black hawk I have built an broke a few of them I hope your sitting down OK pros its a bad ass drive imo very efficient fast surface drive I got 103 mph with 560 HP on a Daytona setup for black hawk with 31p props now for the coins merc don't make them an a few parts or props any more an there is only 3 prop pitches made 27 29 31 good luck finding them now maxmachine in LCH makes shafts an rebuilds them they now have single prop conventions really cool guys not any shop can work on them need the right tools an knowledge so call them oh an $$$$$$$$$$ to fix sorry I could never get away for less then 2000 trust me there is nothing to save its self when jumping in gear over 1000 I destroyed 1 upper an lower junked

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95