General outdrive question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 23

Thread:
General outdrive question

  1. #1
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default General outdrive question

    What would be the recommended drive for a 21'-22' cruiser with 1,000ish hp and good torque? Ideally keeping good reliability through those hard acceleration times.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    What would be the recommended drive for a 21'-22' cruiser with 1,000ish hp and good torque? Ideally keeping good reliability through those hard acceleration times.

    That would be a Casale..... All day today and twice on Sundays...

    In all seriousness I wouldn't settle for anything less than an IMCO Xtreme Advantage if the boat is a keeper. But at over $12K a pop, you could probably build a Bravo XR to do the same thing for a few bucks less...

    JMHO.
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Call max machine in Havasu!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Hahaha, Thanks guys!!! I already have the v-drive boat and would love to have a cruiser with a v-drive but the boat I'm gonna build was only built in jet and stern drive. And I ain't buyin no jet! Lol

  7. #5
    Senior Member sammyc57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Broken Bow,OK
    Posts
    656

    Default

    whatcha fixin to build trigger? inquiring minds would like to know

  8. #6
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammyc57 View Post
    whatcha fixin to build trigger? inquiring minds would like to know
    It's classified!!!

  9. #7
    Senior Member War Canoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Like Sabwafare, I am everywhere
    Posts
    4,893

    Default I know his plans...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F350_013.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	485178  

  10. #8
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by War Canoe View Post
    Hahaha

  11. #9
    Senior Member sammyc57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Broken Bow,OK
    Posts
    656

    Default

    dam trigger, cus him out, deny it, say something, say it aint so!

  12. #10
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammyc57 View Post
    dam trigger, cus him out, deny it, say something, say it aint so!

    I'm not bitching out, I'm calling NO JOY! I started to feel sorry for those whacker fellas after all this. Figured I'd let them have a free one. Lol

    http://www.performanceboats.com/v-dr...sp-2014-a.html

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    3,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    What would be the recommended drive for a 21'-22' cruiser with 1,000ish hp and good torque? Ideally keeping good reliability through those hard acceleration times.
    An old Mercury Racing SSM V drive. All the Bravo style drives don't hold up very well to that type of horsepower/torque.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    An old Mercury Racing SSM V drive. All the Bravo style drives don't hold up very well to that type of horsepower/torque.
    If I read right, the V SSM drive is rated for 750 hp/tq and the dry sump six rated for 1,000 hp/tq. What is your reasoning for not going with the dry sump six over the V SSM?

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Posts
    3,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    If I read right, the V SSM drive is rated for 750 hp/tq and the dry sump six rated for 1,000 hp/tq. What is your reasoning for not going with the dry sump six over the V SSM?
    The SSM VI is much larger/heavier/more expensive and would not be as good for a small 21'/22' cruiser IMO. Have you seen the cost of a SSM VI? Finding a good SSM V setup may not be easy though - I'd first check with Johnny Tomlinson at TNT Marine in FL......
    The V would take your HP/application no problem BTW - those HP ratings are for offshore racing on 12,000 #, 40'+ boats. They put the VI behind there 1,075/1,150 with warranty.

  16. #14
    Senior Member Trigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    The SSM VI is much larger/heavier/more expensive and would not be as good for a small 21'/22' cruiser IMO. Have you seen the cost of a SSM VI? Finding a good SSM V setup may not be easy though - I'd first check with Johnny Tomlinson at TNT Marine in FL......
    The V would take your HP/application no problem BTW - those HP ratings are for offshore racing on 12,000 #, 40'+ boats. They put the VI behind there 1,075/1,150 with warranty.
    Gotcha! Thank you for the lesson. I'm gonna have a bunch of questions while I try to put all this together.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95