Loss of RPM's
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread:
Loss of RPM's

  1. #1
    Senior Member sirbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    425

    Default Loss of RPM's

    I have a 496 HO with a Bravo X drive / Ultra 26 deck

    Ok so I needed to have a drive service done. I ran my boat all afternoon and I was turning about 4700 RPM WOT - I took it in for a quick drive service the next morning and when I put it back on the lake that afternoon it only turned 4200 RPM WOT - What gives?

    Is it all tight and needs to run a little time to loosen up? Is something misaligned and causing it not to turn freely?

    I did fill the tanks and i'm sure I had more weight in the boat but 500 RPM?

    Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.


    PS Known shop in Havasu with very good rep - I have used them many times and always been very happy - not looking to cause concern or bad rap for them so I won't mention who did the work.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    32

    Default

    two things could have happened. 1 they maybe put a different prop back on accidently. 2 or your boat really reacts to the added weight of the fuel, some boats react more than other like 2 people or 4 people or full of fuel all makes big differences run the fuel down and see if you get the rpms back up. also if for some reason they put a different prop back on you would notice it a little doggie out of the hole also.

  4. #3
    Senior Member sirbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norcalracer View Post
    two things could have happened. 1 they maybe put a different prop back on accidently. 2 or your boat really reacts to the added weight of the fuel, some boats react more than other like 2 people or 4 people or full of fuel all makes big differences run the fuel down and see if you get the rpms back up. also if for some reason they put a different prop back on you would notice it a little doggie out of the hole also.
    Thanks for the thoughts - I know its the same prop, so thats not it & I just never noticed that big of a drop in rpm from filling the tank???

    Who knows maybe thats it - the bad news is I wont be on the water any time soon to burn the fuel off and see

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    It's what we do BDMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    El Monte
    Posts
    723

    Default

    I would have thought the wrong prop too. Filling the tanks will not be enough to loose 500 rpm's.

    Call the shop, explain the loss and have them look at it. They could have accidentally, cracked the porcelain on a spark plug, knocked loose a plug wire or ???
    http://www.performanceboats.com//signaturepics/sigpic837_1.gif
    B & D Marine Performance
    El Monte, Ca.

  7. #5
    Senior Member sirbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BDMarine View Post
    I would have thought the wrong prop too. Filling the tanks will not be enough to loose 500 rpm's.

    Call the shop, explain the loss and have them look at it. They could have accidentally, cracked the porcelain on a spark plug, knocked loose a plug wire or ???

    Thanks for the thoughts...

    Would they have been near the plugs to service the outdrive?

  8. #6
    It's what we do BDMarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    El Monte
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sirbob View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts...

    Would they have been near the plugs to service the outdrive?
    Typically no... What exactly did they do to service the sterndrive?
    http://www.performanceboats.com//signaturepics/sigpic837_1.gif
    B & D Marine Performance
    El Monte, Ca.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95