Alpha Shift issues
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
Alpha Shift issues

  1. #1
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default Alpha Shift issues

    I have a Jet boat customer who also has a open bow 90's cruiser with a Alpha drive , he has a compliant of "hard to find nuetral" defined as when he slows for example to manuever , dock or trailer its hard to get into/find nuetral from drive or seems to go directly to reverse ? No other problems or noises , no leaks and no prior history . We don't work on these and have no expirience with them but would appreciate some guidance or knowledge ....Thanks in advance Tom

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member renodaytona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Is it hard as in "takes some effort" to go from forward to "neutral/reverse" or is it a smooth transition just not finding the sweet spot for neutral?

  4. #3
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renodaytona View Post
    Is it hard as in "takes some effort" to go from forward to "neutral/reverse" or is it a smooth transition just not finding the sweet spot for neutral?
    Sticking and binding to the point where when it "gives" I belive it goes past "N" and smacks "R" , got a hunch its a cable ? Tom

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member renodaytona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Sticking and binding to the point where when it "gives" I belive it goes past "N" and smacks "R" , got a hunch its a cable ? Tom
    I had that problem when the idle on my boat was just high enough to make the tranition from foward to neutral feel like that and would end up in reverse instead of neutral. Check the idle and lower it if possible. That is the easy fix that I found and I haven't had any problems since.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    72

    Smile This may help, Good luck.


  8. #6
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fun Times View Post
    Great Info , I passed it on to my freind , not something I have the time or inclination to tackle but he will ! Thank you ! Tom

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    I have a Jet boat customer who also has a open bow 90's cruiser with a Alpha drive , he has a compliant of "hard to find nuetral" defined as when he slows for example to manuever , dock or trailer its hard to get into/find nuetral from drive or seems to go directly to reverse ? No other problems or noises , no leaks and no prior history . We don't work on these and have no expirience with them but would appreciate some guidance or knowledge ....Thanks in advance Tom
    aqn alpha drive has a shift interupt switch sounds like its not working

  10. #8
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    aqn alpha drive has a shift interupt switch sounds like its not working
    Thanks Bart , sounds like a good diagnosis I sent him to get in line at a neighboring Shop we only work on Jets

  11. #9
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    Follow the previous advice and also, these literally have to idle below 800 RPM to work properly, many time the idle is too fast and it will do exactly what you describe...The interuptor swich being mis adjusted will do similar things, but the engine will sometimes inexplicably die. The switch literally just grounds out the ignition coil....I would start there....Make sure the micro switch screws are not too tight and that the cable moves smoothly without the engine running. May need someone to rotate the prop for you....

    GT
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95