Volvo - Penta
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
Volvo - Penta

  1. #1
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default Volvo - Penta

    I think I know the answer to this But I would like yalls feedback. Bravo 1 vs. Volvo-Penta Duo Prop. I know the V-P is a good drive but I have never seen them in a Hi-Performance application. I know the Volvo in a Bayliner or a good size cruiser works great. And in that application I think I would prefer it. Now when you are going to put some power to it I would go with the Merc. Lots of upgrades can be done to handle more power. I am no aware of any performance enhancing things for the V-P. What is your take guys. And Thanks in advance. EVIL
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member f_inscreenname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, Maryland
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    I have a Volvo 270 handling 500+ horsepower for the last five years. The drive itself is 40 years old and has never been taken apart. I did add a nose cone to it. The thing about all Volvo's is prop availability. Duo props will cost more than your firstborn and for the Penta's finding them is the hardest part. A 23 pitch stainless steel Solas prop goes for about 300 bucks and you have to wait about four months to get it. If they even decide to make them and there's no one else out there so they've got you by the balls. Merc props are dime a dozen.
    A winner is just a loser that got up and did it one more time.
    1959 Biesemeyer - 4pt Hydro Drag - 2013 ACBS Winner - Best Race Boat
    1966 Donzi 16
    1967 Nova Marine - SuperNova24 - ACBS Winner - 2012 Best Race Boat - 2016 Peoples Choice & Best Non Wood
    1972 John Allmand - Nova 19
    1982 PolarKraft -Jonboat - Crab Killer

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFORCE View Post
    I think I know the answer to this But I would like yalls feedback. Bravo 1 vs. Volvo-Penta Duo Prop. I know the V-P is a good drive but I have never seen them in a Hi-Performance application. I know the Volvo in a Bayliner or a good size cruiser works great. And in that application I think I would prefer it. Now when you are going to put some power to it I would go with the Merc. Lots of upgrades can be done to handle more power. I am no aware of any performance enhancing things for the V-P. What is your take guys. And Thanks in advance. EVIL
    I think the volvo duoprop should be compared to a bravo 3 ,both dual props they ran volvos with 600 hp for a while in there hp program.I have a few customers that have had good luck with them ive had others who blew the apart very expensive I would go with the bravo

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Bruise Brothers Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pomona,Ca
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f_inscreenname View Post
    I have a Volvo 270 handling 500+ horsepower for the last five years. The drive itself is 40 years old and has never been taken apart. I did add a nose cone to it. The thing about all Volvo's is prop availability. Duo props will cost more than your firstborn and for the Penta's finding them is the hardest part. A 23 pitch stainless steel Solas prop goes for about 300 bucks and you have to wait about four months to get it. If they even decide to make them and there's no one else out there so they've got you by the balls. Merc props are dime a dozen.
    I have an old 280 that I put the nose cone on also. Had a friend rebuild it 27 years ago. Still working good but need to replace some bushing and repair the up /down motor. When rebuilt he said this drive could handle 600 ft lbs. of torque but not to exceed 6000 rpm for to long, kills the bearing he said. Only been able to run 5800. GPS @ 60 with 50 gallions of gas and 8 people in the 24' boat. Has been a good drive.
    Need help finding this 1973 Sanger 18'6" bubble deck mahogany bottom and stringers I was living in Pomona when I sold her in 1979. Just wonder if she still exists

    Update Found my old Sanger 12/7/14 in Reno.

  7. #5
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    After talking to some people in the business I have decided they would be OK if you got the boat very cheap. I know they are a nice and strong drive and would not mind one if new and had a warranty. The problem is that they do cost more then double the price of a Merc to repair. Also the aftermarket and performance upgrades are not out there. I guess I will see what happens. Thanks guys.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  8. #6
    Senior Member stoker2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Folsom,Ca
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFORCE View Post
    After talking to some people in the business I have decided they would be OK if you got the boat very cheap. I know they are a nice and strong drive and would not mind one if new and had a warranty. The problem is that they do cost more then double the price of a Merc to repair. Also the aftermarket and performance upgrades are not out there. I guess I will see what happens. Thanks guys.
    Call Drew at Boatmasters 925-443-5775 for expert opinion
    He told me you can chop wood with the volvo and its like a timex,try that with your Merc and you are paying shop time..
    we run a 270 Volvo on a timeless 24 foot Trophy that has seen Offshore crabbing grounds for every year since 1985 and it has never been apart
    Whacker Smacker M/E #561 IHBA "first looser"champ 2006&2007&Sportsman Driver of the Year

  9. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I have what I am told is a 280 that can either be repaired or used for parts. It is missing (at least) the CV coupler shaft between the horizontal and vertical shafts and the hinged cover.

    I don't need it and will sell it cheap.

  10. #8
    deckboat owner rschap1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lowell MI
    Posts
    478

    Default

    I have had two VP drives now. One Sx Cobra and a DouProp. Granted , the DouProp is only behind a stock 305 270 horse, but I like both of these drives. I had a 454 BIII and the VP is nice and smooth shifting in comparison to my Alphas, Bravos, and the BIII. I have no issues with either. Alphas are the only drives I ever blew, so not best resource for you ?? but I liked mine.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95