How I make a 454 to a 540
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
How I make a 454 to a 540

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default How I make a 454 to a 540

    I have a block of 454 marine I want to make this a 540

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    LOL magic fairy dust...... Or elves liver! Good luck!

  4. #3
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danny4pr44 View Post
    I have a block of 454 marine I want to make this a 540
    If it's a standard GM 454 block, the only way to do it that I know of is sell the block and buy a large bore block. You can start with a GM "Bowtie block, Dart or Merlin, and a few others that can be bored to 4.500" and run with a 4.250" stroke crank.

    If your 454 block has thick enough cylinder walls (they should be sonic tested), you might be able to make it into a 511 cubic inch engine.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jetjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Diamond Bar, Big River
    Posts
    1,145

    Default

    make it a 496 and call it a day. change the build characteristics (ie. compression, cam, head flow etc.) as necessary to suit your desires unless your are talking about a max effort 540. The little difference in cubes won't change that much to justify the expense and parts to do a 496 are relatively inexpensive. Listen to what Barry has to suggest and you will be all good, he's a good guy and great engine builder. good luck and let us know how it goes.

  7. #5
    Senior Member andyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Valley of the Winds
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    If it's a standard GM 454 block, the only way to do it that I know of is sell the block and buy a large bore block. You can start with a GM "Bowtie block, Dart or Merlin, and a few others that can be bored to 4.500" and run with a 4.250" stroke crank.

    If your 454 block has thick enough cylinder walls (they should be sonic tested), you might be able to make it into a 511 cubic inch engine.
    IMO: bore it to 4.375 and call it a day. That's all you should safely go on a std. 454, that's like 481 cubes with the std 4" stroke. Make sure you have an "above avarage" shop do the work. Be preparred to spend your hard earned money on the pistons and rings before the bore and get whole assembly balanced which is a must! OR-----find a 502.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    IMO: bore it to 4.375 and call it a day. That's all you should safely go on a std. 454, that's like 481 cubes with the std 4" stroke. Make sure you have an "above avarage" shop do the work. Be preparred to spend your hard earned money on the pistons and rings before the bore and get whole assembly balanced which is a must! OR-----find a 502.
    There is a 4.375 bore 4 bolt main early 70' casting xxxx512 block that is machined and ready, also has 12to 1 forged pistons arais and 7/16 dimple rods cheap in parts for sale

  9. #7
    classic hot boater Orange Peel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Island NC
    Posts
    1,174

    Default ci

    All these guys are right. I have a 496.. 454 60 over with 4.250 crank.
    Nice set up. If u really want to go big, find s 427 tall deck block( same as 454 just 10.2 deck)
    Bore to 60 over, find 4.500 crank and that will make a 533. Close as u gona get without going big bore block.
    454 tall deck and u can do same crank but lots more bore. I had a 572 from 454 tall deck.
    Good luck
    Never forget where you come from,no matter where you are going.

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento area
    Posts
    1,136

    Default tall deck and 4.375 crank

    I have a tall deck 427 and a 4.375 crank for sale, will let go for 500.00. Block is stock. .060 over and 4.375 stroke makes a 510ci.
    Be safe , schick
    Last edited by schick; 11-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Half the people in the world are below average.

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    20

    Default

    How about a gm block 3999289 how big can a gm block go?

  12. #10
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gkurth View Post
    How about a gm block 3999289 how big can a gm block go?
    You guys would be better asking tech questions in the "dyno" section, instead of "spam", but same basic answer, if you sonic check that block it may possibly be able to go to 4.375" bore (.125" over stock 454), with a 4.250" stroke crank makes 511 cubic inches. If you start trying to go more stroke, it can be edgy trying to grind the block for clearance.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95