Extreme Triple Axle trailer weight? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 43 to 51 of 51

Thread:
Extreme Triple Axle trailer weight?

  1. #43
    Senior Member Sharpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    No-Cal
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millhouse961 View Post
    Here's another question that goes with this thread:

    Has anyone ever changed out the surge brake piston mechanism for an electronic brake piston? This is something I have been wanting to look into cause my trailer doesn't brake for sh!t. It has 4 discs though, so i am thinking a nice electronic setup would make a world of difference. Thoughts?
    We did ours a couple years ago. Electric over hydraulic, I want to say it was about $600 install included. I was having trouble with the surge locking up wheels and putting flat spots in tires. If your still interested, I'll dig up the invoice and let you know the true price.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #44
    Senior Member NiceGuyEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    5,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fed4life View Post
    It came with the trans cooler as part of the tow package when i bought it, it also has an oil cooler as well. I made sure that i bought one that had the full tow package as i knew i would need all the help i could get. It has an electronic trans temp on the dash that you can scroll to along with a bunch of other info and crap. Its a 2011 Tahoe LTZ with 8,000 miles on it.

    I towed it out to Parker for the first time on Memorial and the only time the trans temp got past 200 was when i was going up the grade. The temp got up to 225 for about 5 mins but once i got over the grade it went back down to 180-190 and stayed that way. I had a full load in the Tahoe with 4 adults, all are gear/bags and i had just filled up with gas before i went up the grade, the temp was 98 degrees outside.

    The engine temp did go up as well during that time but also went right back to its normal level once i got over the grade.
    Oh, Ok cool! My Chevy 2500 has the digital temp gauge on the dash too, I wasn't sure if the Tahoe or ther half tons came with it. My last half ton was a 2002 Silverado and it didn't have one.

    200 degrees is when the fan starts to kick on (well at least in my truck), so if your just going over that you should be fine. 225 shouldn't hurt it. Defiantly maintain the trans though, I would change the fluid at least once a season with some Royal Purple Max ATF or something else of that quality. The deep somp pan might also be something to consider. It will drop your temp by 15-20 degrees.
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 06-05-2011 at 04:24 PM.

  4. #45
    The Insurance Guy millhouse961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
    We did ours a couple years ago. Electric over hydraulic, I want to say it was about $600 install included. I was having trouble with the surge locking up wheels and putting flat spots in tires. If your still interested, I'll dig up the invoice and let you know the true price.
    YES! Please do. I priced the parts and came out to $900 without a brake controller or install. Where did you do it, Sac? If it was that cheap, I may be making a drive up there.
    2003 Cobra 270 Razor

  5. #46
    Senior Member fed4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rIVERtRASH View Post
    Oh, Ok cool! My Chevy 2500 has the digital temp gauge on the dash too, I wasn't sure if the Tahoe or ther half tons came with it. My last half ton was a 2002 Silverado and it didn't have one.

    200 degrees is when the fan starts to kick on (well at least in my truck), so if your just going over that you should be fine. 225 shouldn't hurt it. Defiantly maintain the trans though, I would change the fluid at least once a season with some Royal Purple Max ATF or something else of that quality. The deep somp pan might also be something to consider. It will drop your temp by 15-20 degrees.
    Yes 200 degrees is when the fan kicks on in mine as well. I take it in for its regular service at the Chevy dealership every 5000 miles. I think the scheduled trans service happens at 30,000 miles. Im hesitant to put the larger oil pan on it for the simple reason that i want to keep everything stock. I got the extended warranty so EVERYTHING is covered for 5 years or 100,000 miles, however i usually get rid of my vehicles before the warranty goes out(about 4 yrs, 10 months or 90,000 miles, which ever comes first)....i pay for peace of mind i guess, lol.

    I believe on all Chevy trucks/SUV's(2007-present), whether its the base model LS or the LTZ models, they all have the button on the dash that you can get the trans temp as well as other info on the dash. Same goes for GMC and Escalades.

  6. #47
    Senior Member NiceGuyEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    5,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fed4life View Post
    Yes 200 degrees is when the fan kicks on in mine as well. I take it in for its regular service at the Chevy dealership every 5000 miles. I think the scheduled trans service happens at 30,000 miles. Im hesitant to put the larger oil pan on it for the simple reason that i want to keep everything stock. I got the extended warranty so EVERYTHING is covered for 5 years or 100,000 miles, however i usually get rid of my vehicles before the warranty goes out(about 4 yrs, 10 months or 90,000 miles, which ever comes first)....i pay for peace of mind i guess, lol.

    I believe on all Chevy trucks/SUV's(2007-present), whether its the base model LS or the LTZ models, they all have the button on the dash that you can get the trans temp as well as other info on the dash. Same goes for GMC and Escalades.

    I do mine every 30k. I'm not sure the pan will void your warranty. My truck is lifted and has a ton of mods so relying on GM covering my trans if it grenades isn't looking too good so I try to avoid that by buying more aftermarket shiit that prevents problems.

    If your truck is stock run it til the wheels fall off and let the warranty do its job! haha
    Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 06-05-2011 at 07:12 PM.

  7. #48
    Senior Member fed4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rIVERtRASH View Post
    I do mine every 30k. I'm not sure the pan will void your warranty. My truck is lifted and has a ton of mods so relying on GM covering my trans if it grenades isn't looking too good so I try to avoid that by buying more aftermarket shiit that prevents problems.

    If your truck is stock run it til the wheels fall off and let the warranty do its job! haha
    LOL Exactly! leave it stock and let the warranty do its job.

  8. #49
    Senior Member RogerThat99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    2,856

    Default

    Grads recently weighed his Extreme triple axle trailer w/ ladder for a 27' Ultra Shadow (West Coast F*cker) and it weighed in at 2,980 lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    "I Love Haters" - Its not a frame of mind for us...IT'S A LIFE STYLE!!!


    http://www.performanceboats.com/signaturepics/sigpic17778_1.gif

  9. #50
    Senior Member Sharpy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    No-Cal
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millhouse961 View Post
    YES! Please do. I priced the parts and came out to $900 without a brake controller or install. Where did you do it, Sac? If it was that cheap, I may be making a drive up there.
    The actuator was $625 and the breakaway was $50. I didn't need the controller since my year truck came with it built in. If you have a 7 point harness at the hitch, you should be prewired under the dash for the controller. For some reason I don't have the labor costs on the invoice but it sounds like the pricing you have is a little high but not that far out of line (you may be looking at a higher capacity actuator). IMO, adding the electric actuator was well worth the money but as we all know, budgets are budgets.

  10. #51
    The Insurance Guy millhouse961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
    The actuator was $625 and the breakaway was $50. I didn't need the controller since my year truck came with it built in. If you have a 7 point harness at the hitch, you should be prewired under the dash for the controller. For some reason I don't have the labor costs on the invoice but it sounds like the pricing you have is a little high but not that far out of line (you may be looking at a higher capacity actuator). IMO, adding the electric actuator was well worth the money but as we all know, budgets are budgets.
    Yeah, truck is wired for the controller, i just originally ordered it without thinking i would never need one..oh hindsight....

    What brand/model is your actuator? Also do you have any pics of where/how it is installed on the trailer?
    Thanks Chris
    2003 Cobra 270 Razor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95