Super Springs or Timbren Kit?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread:
Super Springs or Timbren Kit?

  1. #1
    The Insurance Guy millhouse961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    1,922

    Default Super Springs or Timbren Kit?

    I need to add some help to the rear springs of my truck as i recently discovered I have been going over the load capacity when towing my boat. Yes, air bags would be really nice, but I dont want to spend the money right now. i had been looking into super springs as a fairly inexpensive and easy solution, but then I stumbled onto the Timbren kit that looks to work just as well and is almost half the price of super springs. Anyone have experience with these? Is the timbren kit total crap or pretty good?
    2003 Cobra 270 Razor

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Roaddogg 4040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ/Algonac, MI
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    I installed the Timbrin deal on my Dodge when it was new (2004) and they work really well. Very easy to install too. They don't inter fear with anything when unloaded and pick up the extra weight when loaded. I give them 5 stars

    Steve

  4. #3
    Senior Member EdonShano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arroyo Grande
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Mead, go for the air bags..real easy to installed..plus I would put the electric/hydralic brake setup on your trailer
    Formally know as UNFORGIVEN...

  5. #4
    The Insurance Guy millhouse961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdonShano View Post
    Mead, go for the air bags..real easy to installed..plus I would put the electric/hydralic brake setup on your trailer
    Dude, read the thread. I know air bags are great but they are wayyy more expensive and I cant spend the money right now. The electric over hydraulic is great too but I pieced the system together and its looking like $900-1000 in parts. Gonna have to wait
    2003 Cobra 270 Razor

  6. #5
    Senior Member Mike102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    123

    Default Choices

    So I have used the Timbrens and they are good for when loaded only since obviously no weight on the truck they won't be in use. Only bad thing is if you really load it down they just become back braking bump stops.

    Super springs are only good if you are loaded all the time. Otherwise you will be boucing all over the place while driving. They are way to stiff to use unloaded. Trust me you will be removing these asap and regret throwing the money away on these. They work well on tow trucks and trucks hauling in bed campers mainly...

    Airbags are the obvious way to go if the budget allows for it.

    Timbrens are about $200 to $300 for the set, Supersprings will run you about $300 to $400 per set, and Air Bags will be anywhere from $200 to $400. Check out ebay and I bet you can get a set of Firestone AirLift bags for about the same price as iether of the other choices.
    I just got 2 sets of bags off ebay last month for $225 a set.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #6
    Senior Member EdonShano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arroyo Grande
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Mead, the airbags don't cost that much..just don't buy the self contained model (on board compressor)..just buy the bag kit, use your home compressor to air up or use the gas station...also the brake kit on the trailer...I'm going to do it to the eliminators trailer..it's a world of difference when it comes to stopping...besides to add air bags and a brake kit to make things safer???? priceless......Eddie
    Formally know as UNFORGIVEN...

  8. #7
    Senior Member GR8WHITE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Just thought I would throw out another possible option for you. I installed this thing called roadmaster active suspension on my truck to help with the sag while towing. I absolutely loved this system and had bought a big toyhauler and they didn't quite help with the sag enough due to the toyhauler being so damn heavy so I sold the roadmaster active suspension and put on some firestone air bags and I hate the damn airbags because they ride like shit. I sold the toyhauler and just bought a 25 shockwave and the bags are overkill and I wish I still had the RAS on my truck. The RAS acts like a sway bar too and got rid of all of my axle wrap. Makes no noise while underway and I will say the truck still rode like butter and I have a 8" of lift on my titan. It installs pretty easily with no drilling or cutting. Just thought I would give you another option in case you have not heard of them.

    Also airlift rides a hell of alot better than firestone and really are not expensive. I ran the firestone bags with no compressor with the valves coming out where the bolts normally go to hold on my rear license plate. Still spent less than $300 on the firestone and the airlift kit is even cheaper. What year and model truck do you have?

    Last edited by GR8WHITE; 06-05-2011 at 10:28 AM.

  9. #8
    The Insurance Guy millhouse961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GR8WHITE View Post
    Just thought I would throw out another possible option for you. I installed this thing called roadmaster active suspension on my truck to help with the sag while towing. I absolutely loved this system and had bought a big toyhauler and they didn't quite help with the sag enough due to the toyhauler being so damn heavy so I sold the roadmaster active suspension and put on some firestone air bags and I hate the damn airbags because they ride like shit. I sold the toyhauler and just bought a 25 shockwave and the bags are overkill and I wish I still had the RAS on my truck. The RAS acts like a sway bar too and got rid of all of my axle wrap. Makes no noise while underway and I will say the truck still rode like butter and I have a 8" of lift on my titan. It installs pretty easily with no drilling or cutting. Just thought I would give you another option in case you have not heard of them.

    Also airlift rides a hell of alot better than firestone and really are not expensive. I ran the firestone bags with no compressor with the valves coming out where the bolts normally go to hold on my rear license plate. Still spent less than $300 on the firestone and the airlift kit is even cheaper. What year and model truck do you have?

    Truck is a 2007 GMC Sierra Denali. I ordered the timbren kit for the ease of install and cost (got it for $162 NEW on amazon with free shipping). I may go airbag down the road but didn't want to now as I would want the complete kit with onboard compressor. Plus, I may not be keeping this truck more than another year, so no sense in investing too much in it yet.

    Eddie: yes, the electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer are great, but safety-wise, the surge discs currently on there work fine. Electric is more of a luxury and also would keep down the wear on the truck. But for now, it will stay as is. (unless you want to give me $900....my b-day IS tomorrow )
    2003 Cobra 270 Razor

  10. #9
    The Insurance Guy millhouse961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Santa Ynez, CA
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdonShano View Post
    ...also the brake kit on the trailer...I'm going to do it to the eliminators trailer..
    Let me know when you do this; I'd really like to come over for the install so i can have a road map for when I do mine
    2003 Cobra 270 Razor

  11. #10
    Senior Member NiceGuyEddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills
    Posts
    5,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdonShano View Post
    Mead, the airbags don't cost that much..just don't buy the self contained model (on board compressor)..just buy the bag kit, use your home compressor to air up or use the gas station...also the brake kit on the trailer...I'm going to do it to the eliminators trailer..it's a world of difference when it comes to stopping...besides to add air bags and a brake kit to make things safer???? priceless......Eddie
    I think having to use an off-board compressor would be a pain in the ass. Especially when you get to the river and are driving around without the boat. The ease of flipping the switch to fill and empty the bags is priceless. You can buy a 3-5 gallon tank, a 150psi compressor and fittings/lines for under 2 bills. Bags aren't very expensive either.

    Your all forgetting the other benefit of installing a tank and compressor on the truck........... choo choo!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95