2MM.....Gold Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 40

Thread:
2MM.....Gold Question

  1. #1
    Senior Member Boss460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,679

    Default 2MM.....Gold Question

    I have several krugerrands and american gold eagles, but it's been a while since I've bought actual gold coins.

    Where's the best place to buy them? I have some gold holdings but want to increase the amount of actual physical gold I have in my safe.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    This won't help you, but on a sidenote you'd be amazed how many that jump the border down here show up with gold and silver coins acompanying them.

  4. #3
    Senior Member Uncle Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    2 places I like-

    Kitco and Monex.


    UD

  5. #4
    Senior Member Boss460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Thanks. Opened an account with Kitco. Now trying to figure out what denominations to buy and keep. Any ideas? Everything I currently have are 1oz. coins. Any reason to buy anything larger?

  6. #5
    self proclaimed idiot Adam_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Corona Ca.
    Posts
    320

    Default

    I think it's funny that people feel gold is worth buying, I spend my money on lead lol.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Boss460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_R View Post
    I think it's funny that people feel gold is worth buying, I spend my money on lead lol.
    Gold isn't the only thing I own or am buying. I have quite a bit of lead too

  8. #7
    Senior Member Uncle Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss460 View Post
    Thanks. Opened an account with Kitco. Now trying to figure out what denominations to buy and keep. Any ideas? Everything I currently have are 1oz. coins. Any reason to buy anything larger?
    No- and lots of reason to buy smaller. I like all the 4 nines products - 1/10nths, quarters and halfs.
    The rand is always a bit cheaper and more depressed than a leaf or a eagle or phil

    Especially the older philharmonics with 2000 schilling printed on the face.

    Think smaller transactions vs. bigger ones if you ever needed to barter or trade for something valuable - and of course no one has change.

    Same reason 5K in 20's is inherently more workable than 5K in hundreds.

    Stay away from bullion and stick to coins. No one wants to hire a numismatist to make a decent sized transaction and there are many ways to detect counterfit coins easily - bullion or ingots not so.

    I like silver, platinum and other precious metals as well.

    Uncle Dave
    Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Boss460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    No- and lots of reason to buy smaller. I like all the 4 nines products - 1/10nths, quarters and halfs.
    The rand is always a bit cheaper and more depressed than a leaf or a eagle or phil

    Especially the older philharmonics with 2000 schilling printed on the face.

    Think smaller transactions vs. bigger ones if you ever needed to barter or trade for something valuable - and of course no one has change.

    Same reason 5K in 20's is inherently more workable than 5K in hundreds.

    Stay away from bullion and stick to coins. No one wants to hire a numismatist to make a decent sized transaction and there are many ways to detect counterfit coins easily - bullion or ingots not so.

    I like silver, platinum and other precious metals as well.

    Uncle Dave
    Kinda what I was thinking. The Canadian maple leaf?

  10. #9
    Senior Member Uncle Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss460 View Post
    Kinda what I was thinking. The Canadian maple leaf?
    The leaf is beautiful.

    9999 pure- the real deal.

    Collect them all ! (like expensive matchbox cars.)

    UD

  11. #10
    Senior Member Boss460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    The leaf is beautiful.

    9999 pure- the real deal.

    Collect them all ! (like expensive matchbox cars.)

    UD
    What's funny is this is becoming kind of a collection now. I think I will collect them all.

    I have no idea where I'd keep the 25lb. bar though......

  12. #11
    Senior Member Uncle Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss460 View Post
    What's funny is this is becoming kind of a collection now. I think I will collect them all.

    I have no idea where I'd keep the 25lb. bar though......
    Actually- its like swiss watches, guns, rare knives,cars, boats, - and old hit and miss engine generators.

    It's a kind of a "sickness" and collecting them is a joy and they are quite a bit more liquid than the above.

    Keep the bar in bed and roll around with it.

    UD

  13. #12
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    Sorry Boss, I have been PREoccupied with life...

    Uncle Dave and I both share the same GOLD fetish however our perspectives are slightly different... Uncle Dave beat most of us with his acquisitions so he is sitting pretty with his numismatics...

    I'm more interested in HIGHLY pure and HIGHLY trusted bullion in small denominations, 1 gram, 5 gram, 10 gram mini ingots... (I like the Credit Suisse mini ingots) I also like the tiny 1 and 5 dollar US numismatics from mid to late 1800's, they are about double of melt value and the price continues to trend up while many other numismatics are flat as a pancake...

    I agree with Uncle Dave about KITCO for leads/purchases AND the blogs there are very good to get a vibe on the direction things are heading in... I also like the .9999 maple leafs, they are nice if your going to buy quality bullion coins… Read up on HUI GOLD BUGS, it's one of the more helpful indices for gold/precious metal trends...

    What has me VERY nervous is the move China has made in Afghanistan, they could make a serious change in the market if they score some super rich ore deposits...

    The way I see it (if you remove CHina and the Afghanistan dynamic) is that as the cost to refine/reclaim continues to rise and it takes 100 tons of earth per ounce and then 150 and 200 tons of earth to reclaim the gold it will continue to trend up up up up...

    There will always be a demand for industrial gold, in fact the industrial gold demand continues to rise as our thirst for personal electronics / computers continues to skyrocket...

    ***UPDATE, you will pay a premium for small denominations of bullion but I figure that is going to be the least of my worries if things get so bad that I have to cash in with a farmer to buy a cow or some chickens... If everything continues status quo my kids or grandkids will get everything and I wont care about paying several hundred dollars extra for the small denominations of the high purity Credit Suisse...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 11-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Pat Eason, the voice of reason...

  14. #13
    Senior Member Uncle Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    Sorry Boss, I have been PREoccupied with life...

    Uncle Dave and I both share the same GOLD fetish however our perspectives are slightly different... Uncle Dave beat most of us with his acquisitions so he is sitting pretty with his numismatics...

    I'm more interested in HIGHLY pure and HIGHLY trusted bullion in small denominations, 1 gram, 5 gram, 10 gram mini ingots... (I like the Credit Suisse mini ingots) I also like the tiny 1 and 5 dollar US numismatics from mid to late 1800's, they are about double of melt value and the price continues to trend up while many other numismatics are flat as a pancake...

    I agree with Uncle Dave about KITCO for leads/purchases AND the blogs there are very good to get a vibe on the direction things are heading in... I also like the .9999 maple leafs, they are nice if your going to buy quality bullion coins… Read up on HUI GOLD BUGS, it's one of the more helpful indices for gold/precious metal trends...

    What has me VERY nervous is the move China has made in Afghanistan, they could make a serious change in the market if they score some super rich ore deposits...

    The way I see it (if you remove CHina and the Afghanistan dynamic) is that as the cost to refine/reclaim continues to rise and it takes 100 tons of earth per ounce and then 150 and 200 tons of earth to reclaim the gold it will continue to trend up up up up...

    There will always be a demand for industrial gold, in fact the industrial gold demand continues to rise as our thirst for personal electronics / computers continues to skyrocket...

    ***UPDATE, you will pay a premium for small denominations of bullion but I figure that is going to be the least of my worries if things get so bad that I have to cash in with a farmer to buy a cow or some chickens... If everything continues status quo my kids or grandkids will get everything and I wont care about paying several hundred dollars extra for the small denominations of the high purity Credit Suisse...
    I share 2MM's joy of older ingots & small bullion.

    Ingots are way cooler than coins especially older premium mint/marks no longer in business.

    Although highly salable it seems a shame to ever get rid of them and as such are a more "collectable" vs. a four nines coins which is simply gold/money in a trusted form.

    Unfortunately for me Im simply not well versed enough in what to pay, or what these products are worth to feel confident in trading buying them, but I have had the joy to examine a small collection of someone else ingots bullion and coins and found them fascinating and nearly impossible to put back in the case- like Gollum and the ring- they call to me.

    As 2MM says- gold recovery is tied directly to the cost of oil- when oil goes up so will gold.

    Uncle Dave
    Last edited by Uncle Dave; 11-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.

  15. #14
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    I share 2MM's joy of older ingots & small bullion.

    Ingots are way cooler than coins especially older premium mint/marks no longer in business.

    Although highly salable it seems a shame to ever get rid of them and as such are a more "collectable" vs. a four nines coins which is simply gold/money in a trusted form.

    Unfortunately for me Im simply not well versed enough in what to pay, or what these products are worth to feel confident in trading buying them, but I have had the joy to examine a small collection of someone else ingots bullion and coins and found them fascinating and nearly impossible to put back in the case- like Gollum and the ring- they call to me.

    As 2MM says- gold recovery is tied directly to the cost of oil- when oil goes up so will gold.

    Uncle Dave
    Too bad NEITHER of us have any ingots or coins OR guns OR ammo... OR TACOs...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 11-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Pat Eason, the voice of reason...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95