I'm a victim of an out of control government program
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 24

Thread:
I'm a victim of an out of control government program

  1. #1
    Marine Organism Forkin' Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mound, Louisiana
    Posts
    12,743

    Thumbs down I'm a victim of an out of control government program

    To reinstate the black bear population in Louisiana. The DNR has spent millions (maybe billions?) of our tax dollars on this with out consideration of the danger they can pose.

    I was on my way home last night. Cruise set on 70, and out the darkness came a 400# black bear. I assume by its size it was a male. Just as I was about to cross a bridge, I hit the bear and then it went under my truck. Being a heavily sprung dually, it bounced violently as I struggled to get it under control. To be honest, I am surprised I didn't go off the bridge. As I awaited the flat bed, I armed myself with my .45 and a flash light and set out to make sure the SOB was dead, which he was.

    I thought about going back this morning and cutting off its head to have a skull mount made, but was informed I would be in violation of federal law if I did. You see, even if this beast was on my property, it still belongs to the DNR. Even if it was dead and a pile of bones, it still belongs to the DNR. The way I see it, you are liable for damage if your dog runs out in front of a car and causes damage. So how about the DNR and Federal Wildlife Agency liable for the bear damage on my truck? Good luck with that!

    If I had been in a small car, or motorcycle, I wouldn't be typing this. I would probably be in the hospital or worse. So why do we need these animals? Why do we need to reestablish wolf populations that will just cause problems with ranchers? We have had hell with the bears ruining deer feeders, food plots, and even the farmers have had problems with them damaging corn fields and irrigation pipe. But we are powerless to do anything about it. The Federal Wildlife Agents won't provide any help.

    And they are still spending money hand over fist to fund these programs. What a waste with no regard to public safety. They are not with us, but against us!

    My poor truck. I just spent 4500 bucks on repairs (the new ones suck with all the CARB restrictions) and maintenance. And even $1600 on a set of tires. I was planning on vacationing in Florida pulling my boat at the end of this month. So much for that! The white haze you see on my truck is frost.




    This is the only pic I'm going to put up of the bear because they are pretty graphic (don't want to offend Rex1). Look, he nearly is as long as the emergency lane is wide!!!

    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

    - - Robert A. Heinlein

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,808

    Default

    Most of the things government gets involved in becomes a cluster.

  4. #3
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Are you in favor of deer feeders?
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  5. #4
    Colts fan & Stoker owner RitcheyRch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Santa Clarita Valley
    Posts
    8,170

    Default

    Just glad you are here to talk about it.
    www.facebook.com/RitcheyRch

    "I didn't pay them for sex, I paid them to leave"
    Charlie Sheen

    Life is all about ass, you're either covering it, hauling it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    To reinstate the black bear population in Louisiana. The DNR has spent millions (maybe billions?) of our tax dollars on this with out consideration of the danger they can pose.

    I was on my way home last night. Cruise set on 70, and out the darkness came a 400# black bear. I assume by its size it was a male. Just as I was about to cross a bridge, I hit the bear and then it went under my truck. Being a heavily sprung dually, it bounced violently as I struggled to get it under control. To be honest, I am surprised I didn't go off the bridge. As I awaited the flat bed, I armed myself with my .45 and a flash light and set out to make sure the SOB was dead, which he was.

    I thought about going back this morning and cutting off its head to have a skull mount made, but was informed I would be in violation of federal law if I did. You see, even if this beast was on my property, it still belongs to the DNR. Even if it was dead and a pile of bones, it still belongs to the DNR. The way I see it, you are liable for damage if your dog runs out in front of a car and causes damage. So how about the DNR and Federal Wildlife Agency liable for the bear damage on my truck? Good luck with that!

    If I had been in a small car, or motorcycle, I wouldn't be typing this. I would probably be in the hospital or worse. So why do we need these animals? Why do we need to reestablish wolf populations that will just cause problems with ranchers? We have had hell with the bears ruining deer feeders, food plots, and even the farmers have had problems with them damaging corn fields and irrigation pipe. But we are powerless to do anything about it. The Federal Wildlife Agents won't provide any help.

    And they are still spending money hand over fist to fund these programs. What a waste with no regard to public safety. They are not with us, but against us!

    My poor truck. I just spent 4500 bucks on repairs (the new ones suck with all the CARB restrictions) and maintenance. And even $1600 on a set of tires. I was planning on vacationing in Florida pulling my boat at the end of this month. So much for that! The white haze you see on my truck is frost.




    This is the only pic I'm going to put up of the bear because they are pretty graphic (don't want to offend Rex1). Look, he nearly is as long as the emergency lane is wide!!!


    Send the repair bill to the DNR since it's their animal allowed the walk free on a highway at your expence. I'm getting tired of these type of stories where Gov. starts a program but is not responciable for the reprocussions!

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,729

    Default

    The important thing is you weren't hurt. Your truck can be fixed and you can tow your boat to Florida some other time. I know it's not the way you would prefer it, but just be thankful you weren't hurt.

  8. #7
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Send the repair bill to the DNR since it's their animal allowed the walk free on a highway at your expence. I'm getting tired of these type of stories where Gov. starts a program but is not responciable for the reprocussions!
    Wild animals cross the road all the time, government program or not.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  9. #8
    Senior Member Jake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Wild animals cross the road all the time, government program or not.

    OK smart guy, would that animal have been there if it wasn't placed there by the gov?

    Maybe God wanted it to happen?
    Last edited by Jake; 11-15-2012 at 03:57 PM.

  10. #9
    Marine Organism Forkin' Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mound, Louisiana
    Posts
    12,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Are you in favor of deer feeders?
    What difference does that make? It is legal here. I don't care anyway because I haven't hunted deer in 12+ years. And what does your comment have to do with this thread. It's not about deer feeders. Me thinks you are in trolling mode. Not a surprise at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Send the repair bill to the DNR since it's their animal allowed the walk free on a highway at your expence. I'm getting tired of these type of stories where Gov. starts a program but is not responciable for the reprocussions!
    I plan to. I would even drop a couple Gs to my lawyer just to drag their sorry asses into court. When you do try and have a hunt for predators, wolves and bear, the greenies raise 3 kinds of hell.

    Quote Originally Posted by ram78d10 View Post
    The important thing is you weren't hurt. Your truck can be fixed and you can tow your boat to Florida some other time. I know it's not the way you would prefer it, but just be thankful you weren't hurt.
    Thank you ram. I appreciate the sentiment!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

    - - Robert A. Heinlein

  11. #10
    Senior Member Franger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Very good thing it wasn't a moose ..... good possibility even in a full size truck it could've ended up in the seat with you.... bad thing, I've see the results too many times up here ...

    Glad to hear you're ok

  12. #11
    Senior Member Boss460's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    The bears seem to have similar tendencies to raccoons for some reason. Why is it they move mostly at night? I had this discussion recently with a coworker. Nuisance but can't kill them. Can be mauled by one but not kill it.

    How did deer get brought into this? Deer are a huge problem around here on back roads. Every hunter I know has enough deer meat to last a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    I don't hate anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    I don't argue religious idology.

  13. #12
    Senior Member Ms Understood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Murrieta, Ca
    Posts
    8,347


  14. #13
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    OK smart guy, would that animal have been there if it wasn't placed there by the gov?

    Maybe God wanted it to happen?
    LOL..."plced there by the gov't"?? So how 'bout you show me a tag or id bracelet or somethihng else that says that wasn't just a bear crossing the road. Jeez...that's just stupid.
    I've been an avid hunter since I was a kid...I understand all the arguments for and againast the gov't being involved in game management but the bottom line is, whether or not there is a progrm for or against bears, bears (and deer and pigs and dogs and cats and racoons and possums and and and...shal I go on?) still cross the highway and cars still hit them. I totaled my Chevelle when I was a kid when I hit a big buck at 60mph. Should I blame the locals who have deer feeders out? Should I blame the govt for not controlling the population better? NO. Shit happens.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 11-15-2012 at 07:49 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  15. #14
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    What difference does that make? It is legal here. I don't care anyway because I haven't hunted deer in 12+ years. And what does your comment have to do with this thread. It's not about deer feeders. Me thinks you are in trolling mode. Not a surprise at all.



    I plan to. I would even drop a couple Gs to my lawyer just to drag their sorry asses into court. When you do try and have a hunt for predators, wolves and bear, the greenies raise 3 kinds of hell.



    Thank you ram. I appreciate the sentiment!
    You brought up the deer feeders...and I don't even think you heard yourself. How many deer get hit every year? Thousands??? You calim "victim" because you believe the govt is manipulating the bear population but it"s OK if the farmers manipulate the deer population even though there is a WAY bigger problem with cars and deer?? Do you know what the insurance claims statistics are for deer related collisions? Do you have any idea what it costs every person who buys car insurance because of this? Rates go up across the board.
    Like I said...you brought up deer feeders.
    I'm sorry for your damage and glad you weren't hurt, but the minute you use the word "victim" and "government", well, LOL...think about it.
    JMO...which I'm sure you don't like, and I guess that makes me a troll.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 11-15-2012 at 07:57 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95