Private schooling
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
Private schooling

  1. #1
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default Private schooling

    My rant yesterday on another thread wasn't very informative and thought out, I apologize .....it was mainly triggered by a news letter I received yesterday from my sons high school....first year attending, stating " All students will be staying an extra hour in the classrooms" .....I guess their ranked, according to the test scores....near the bottom of all the public high schools.....I take the blame for not more being prepared.....four years in the middle school was great....honor student a couple times too....again , my fault, but if I had known this about the school.....I would of considered private schooling for the last 4 years, there's some great Christian schools in the area, expensive, but the process of enrolling him would of had to been started last December....9,000 a year....16 students per teacher....not the 31 per teacher in the public school.....how many of you guys put your kids through private schools??? Was it worth it???? Thanks
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Marine Organism Forkin' Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mound, Louisiana
    Posts
    12,743

    Default

    The way they dumb down the schools here, it's a no brainer, no pun intended. Most of them, babydaddy almost never home or is long gone, or babymama don't know who babydaddy is. They don't read to their kids at bed time, or any other time, so they start off behind. Damn pitiful.

    Like you said, expensive, but well worth the money. It was either that, or move to another part of the country.

    Oh, and the rant. No big deal!!!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

    - - Robert A. Heinlein

  4. #3
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    FC....your right.....I live in an area....that's becoming over run (has been ) by the Arab population.....and I can honestly say.....they don't like us....and it's mutual.....and I think the teachers are afraid of them ( sounds crazy doesn't it) and the other students suffer cuz of it.....come on....borderline forcing Arabic culture on our kids because the classrooms are 50% Arabic ......I'm half tempted to have my son home schooled his first year and start the private school enrollment this Fall.....I better start sellin stuff....anyone wanna by a Sanger ?????
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  5. #4
    Marine Organism Forkin' Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mound, Louisiana
    Posts
    12,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    FC....your right.....I live in an area....that's becoming over run (has been ) by the Arab population.....and I can honestly say.....they don't like us....and it's mutual.....and I think the teachers are afraid of them ( sounds crazy doesn't it) and the other students suffer cuz of it.....come on....borderline forcing Arabic culture on our kids because the classrooms are 50% Arabic ......I'm half tempted to have my son home schooled his first year and start the private school enrollment this Fall.....I better start sellin stuff....anyone wanna by a Sanger ?????
    I know you probably won't like this option, but MOVE!!!
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

    - - Robert A. Heinlein

  6. #5
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forkin' Crazy View Post
    I know you probably won't like this option, but MOVE!!!
    I wish....too vested....and 8-10 years to retiring ....I don't think I could pull it off....plus I'm a divorced father....sharing joint custody of our son....I gave a shout out to my ex....she just as upset as I am.....we're going to see if our monies together is even a possibility to send him to a private school......
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  7. #6
    RPB
    RPB is offline
    Senior Member RPB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Pulled my daughter out of her high school after I found out they had a week long training on Cultural and Moral Relativism amounting to telling her how bad Christians were and how nice muslims are and the positives of such a free society that we don't have drug laws.

    Look at the charter schools in your area, my daughter attends one now. The teachers are all MA or Phd, non-union, Christian, her quality of assignments improved greatly, and they have an ROTC class that teachers firearm safety and marksmanship.
    51% of Democrats dont know the earth revolves around the sun and 49% think that Astrology is scientific. (National Science Foundation and National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the University of Chicago 2014).


    CF BLACK
    : Carbon Fiber Fabrics and Derivatives at the Best Prices

  8. #7
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Pulled my daughter out of her high school after I found out they had a week long training on Cultural and Moral Relativism amounting to telling her how bad Christians were and how nice muslims are and the positives of such a free society that we don't have drug laws.

    Look at the charter schools in your area, my daughter attends one now. The teachers are all MA or Phd, non-union, Christian, her quality of assignments improved greatly, and they have an ROTC class that teachers firearm safety and marksmanship.
    good call....thanks....coincident news letter came out 10 days before school starts??? He doesn't even no about it yet....he's at church camp.....goes every year....loves it....lake Louise northern Mich.....
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  9. #8
    Senior Member wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the garage working on the boat in Utah, United States
    Posts
    7,810

    Default

    We sent our son to private school (Catholic) for his Jr high and high school years. Best thing we ever did!! He learned quite a bit and was fully prepared for college. Since the high school had accredited AP classes, some kids were able to knock out a lot of their freshmen year in high school. It was pretty expensive though. We pretty much spent his college tuition for high school. College was actually cheaper. His high school was $9400 per year and his college (University of Utah) was $5000 a year. We'd do it again in a heartbeat.

  10. #9
    Marine Organism Forkin' Crazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mound, Louisiana
    Posts
    12,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RPB View Post
    Pulled my daughter out of her high school after I found out they had a week long training on Cultural and Moral Relativism amounting to telling her how bad Christians were and how nice muslims are and the positives of such a free society that we don't have drug laws.
    Public Schools Matching Grant - Alliance Defending Freedom

    Yep!

    Dewey, is there possibly a different school district you could move to? I have a friend, and she pays out the ass in rent, but her kids are in a good public school that is far away from the inner city.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life"

    - - Robert A. Heinlein

  11. #10
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    My son just graduated private Christian school, K - 12... Now in college...

    Yes, I would do it again... It's hard to write that check each month for sure...

    My daughter is just now in the 5th grade so I have a ways to go before I am finished paying their tuition... My wife started working part time when my daughter started school and with two days per week she was/is essentially paying thier tuition at the private school...

    You're living in a TOUGH area that is really having its issues...
    Last edited by 2manymustangs; 08-23-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Pat Eason, the voice of reason...

  12. #11
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Thanks guys....I'll reread this thread later....all good advice from what I read so far.....I'm picking my son up soon, 6pm....been gone a week at camp....it's funny.....before I dropped him off at church last week.....we talked about the big school hours....7:30 -2:30....now it's changed....and he'll find out why....I see him before his mom does....I'll ask him how he feels about it....and try and pick his brain....as we all know....14 year olds are smart...I think he's smarter than me when i was that age!!!! Lol
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  13. #12
    Red Blooded American The Doctor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    15,853

    Default

    It can also be the school district or system. Here in Peoria, AZ we have an excellent public school system that all six of our kids attended from kindergarten through high school. They came out OK because we do our teaching at the dinner table and school is simply a supplement to what is taught in our home. We read and pray every night together and have for over thirty years. We take time to discuss matters at hand and the philosophies of life and we act like parents (the ones who are ultimately responsible for their educations) rather than trusting that education to any system public or private. Church attendance was a vital supplement to public schooling and teaching in the home for us and continues to be

    Many of you have met my family members and I am comfortable in saying they turned out far better than average. Three summa cume laude college graduates and one magna cume laude with a masters degree. One graduate of medical school and multiple nationally ranked collegiate athletes to top it off!
    The best things in life aren't things!

  14. #13
    Senior Member Roaddogg 4040's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lake Havasu City, AZ/Algonac, MI
    Posts
    5,312

    Default

    Doc, you and your Bride have been truly blessed. You have a right to be proud of what you have accomplished with your family. Job well done... It would sure be nice if there were more families like yours in this country...

    Steve

  15. #14
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    It can also be the school district or system. Here in Peoria, AZ we have an excellent public school system that all six of our kids attended from kindergarten through high school. They came out OK because we do our teaching at the dinner table and school is simply a supplement to what is taught in our home. We read and pray every night together and have for over thirty years. We take time to discuss matters at hand and the philosophies of life and we act like parents (the ones who are ultimately responsible for their educations) rather than trusting that education to any system public or private. Church attendance was a vital supplement to public schooling and teaching in the home for us and continues to be

    Many of you have met my family members and I am comfortable in saying they turned out far better than average. Three summa cume laude college graduates and one magna cume laude with a masters degree. One graduate of medical school and multiple nationally ranked collegiate athletes to top it off!
    Yes, it's a combination of both...district and the system...they say its cuz of all the teachers retiring past few years....and the quality of the new ones aren't any good....I think it's BS....I also agree.....school at that level is a supplemental education at most....I'm ok with that....reading, writing, math.....the basics.....don't think he needs to learn how to speak Arabic or any other language ......also found out.....the state stepped in and mandated the extra hour of class time.....big meeting next week.....
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95